"Famous" Helmets

DwightPruitt

DwightPruitt

How about pics of helmets worn by notable figures?

First off: The M1 worn by Major General Maurice Rose when he was KIA near Paderborn. I saw this helmet on display at the Patton Museum at Ft. Knox.

rose.helmet.1.jpg

George Patton's. Also on display at Knox.

patton_case.jpg

CNY Militaria

My most notable helmet. This was worn by Col (Posthumously) Herlihy Townsend Long, Commander of the 5th bn, 7th Cavalry in Vietnam. He was awarded the SS, BS, and PH in WWII, and served in Korea as well. He was among the highest ranking officers killed in Vietnam.

Here is its thread-- http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...pic=667&hl=

military_show_049.jpg

mil112.jpg

duarte1223

General Maurice Rose had quite a story, here's a snippet from Wikipedia about his death:

On March 31, 1945 a few miles south of the city of Paderborn in a rural forest area, General Rose rounded a corner in his jeep and found himself surrounded by several German tanks. As he withdrew his pistol to surrender, a young German tank commander, apparently misunderstanding Rose's intentions, shot the General. In retaliation, 110 Germans not involved in the incident were murdered by the Americans.

I believe the jeep driver is still alive, but I could be wrong.

Adam

Edit: Here's a picture:

MauriceRose.jpg

duarte1223
Stunning dispays w00t.gif

During which operation(s) did Ridgway wear this helmet?

Ridgeway wasn't a 4-star general until after the war. This helmet probably dates between 1951 and 1955, when he replaced Ike as SACEUR until he retired.

Adam

Wharfmaster

There is no doubt that the Ridgway Helmet was worn by the General In Korea. I have a signed presentation photo of Ridgway wearing this helmet. It was given to one of his staff members, a Chief WO, probably in 1951 or 52. The camo "blotch" on the left side of the helmet can be seen in my photo. Not only is he wearing the helmet, he has a field jacket complete with stars plus a combat harness on with grenade and field first aid pouch attached.

The Wharfmaster

the camouflage is on the helmet in pictures from ww2 as far back as sicily, I don't think there is any question that it is his helmet from ww2 . his web gear with the first aid pouch and grenade are in the 82nd airborne museum at ft. bragg, I was there when he was looking at it right after he attended the division review as guest of honour and reviewed the troops in 1982. Brad k

duarte1223
the camouflage is on the helmet in pictures from ww2 as far back as sicily, I don't think there is any question that it is his helmet from ww2 . his web gear with the first aid pouch and grenade are in the 82nd airborne museum at ft. bragg, I was there when he was looking at it right after he attended the division review as guest of honour and reviewed the troops in 1982. Brad k

But his 2-star helmet from WW2 is in a private collection too.

I think it's his Korean War helmet with the same camo scheme.

This helmet was worn by Major General Charles Bolte, Commander of the 34th Division while fighting in Italy. I WISH I could say I owned this, but seems the darn Gold Star Museum at Camp Dodge, Des Moines, Iowa got it before I did. crybaby.gif:D

Wade

post-577-1178724238.jpg

thunderw21

Ah, the Gold Star Museum! I love their weapon room...

I remember seeing that helmet last time I was there. Quite impressive seeing all of these famous helmets.

• 1 year later...
I was there at the Ridgway estate auction in Pittsburgh in '95. Saw this go for $13K+ then!

Yes, this is not the WW11 helmet! The WW11 helmet had special welded bails done specifically for the general. This one has flex bails!

Cheers,

Mike

Yes, this is not the WW11 helmet! The WW11 helmet had special welded bails done specifically for the general. This one has flex bails!

Cheers,

Mike

Mike,

Sorry to disagree, but if you compare the black and white period photo side-by-side with the color photo of the General's helmet on display, the vesicant pattern on the front as well as the placement and size of the two center stars is identical. It's well documented that the General wore the same helmet throughout his entire military career, WW2 thru Korea. In the autobiography "Ridgway's Paratroopers" by Clay Blair, its explained that Ridgway's helmet was a standard M2 D-bail but that he had the riggers bend his D-bales and re-weld them outward at a sharp angle. This would explain why in the display photo, they appear to be swivel bales, when in fact they are actually modified D-bales.

I was ready to comment after reading that it was mentioned that the Ridgway helmet was swivel loop but, I see that Lawdog has already pointed this out about the cambered D-Bales. Anyhow, these are some great lids! Oh, to be independently wealthy.

Mike,

Sorry to disagree, but if you compare the black and white period photo side-by-side with the color photo of the General's helmet on display, the vesicant pattern on the front as well as the placement and size of the two center stars is identical. It's well documented that the General wore the same helmet throughout his entire military career, WW2 thru Korea. In the autobiography "Ridgway's Paratroopers" by Clay Blair, its explained that Ridgway's helmet was a standard M2 D-bail but that he had the riggers bend his D-bales and re-weld them outward at a sharp angle. This would explain why in the display photo, they appear to be swivel bales, when in fact they are actually modified D-bales.

I agree with Lawdag.

The General wore the same helmet through ought WW2 and into Korea.

I've seen a good clear close up pic of the helmet and you can see that the outer two stars were added at a latter date to the inner two MG stars.