Yet Another Holster

vettepartz

This is a great forum for getting information. Here is another holster I am looking at. The back has "Made to US Govt Specifications - Brauer Bros Mfg" and there is no big "US" on the front. Is this something made for the military or is it just a fake repro?

Holster-BB.jpg

This is a great forum for getting information. Here is another holster I am looking at. The back has "Made to US Govt Specifications - Brauer Bros Mfg" and there is no big "US" on the front. Is this something made for the military or is it just a fake repro?

Holster-BB.jpg

I would say that this is a holster made for private sale, not to the government. It appears to be made to the same standards as the issue holsters. It was possibly made for sale to officers.

Retired

Charlie Flick

Actually, neither. This is a private purchase M1916 holster made by Brauer Brothers, which was a US military contractor for M1916 holsters in WW2. These private purchase BB holsters conform very closely to the USGI specifications and are quality holsters. I have also observed them with the US-in-the-oval flap marking and the identical marking on the back. Those made for the military have a different style of marking on the back.

They are interesting holsters.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

This is what the Brauer Brothers marking on the back side of the WW2 USGI M1916 holsters looks like.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Brauer_Bros__44__M1916_marking.jpg

Holster-BB.jpg

As for it being fake, note the green verdigris on the rivets and belt attachment. I'm not saying that could not be faked, but since the surrounding leather shows no signs of chemical agents being applied(for the patina). it suggests it was done over time and by moist air.

It seems like in every war private purchase becomes needed.

From here, the quality of the holster looks very good. Nice find.

As for it being fake, note the green verdigris on the rivets and belt attachment. I'm not saying that could not be faked, but since the surrounding leather shows no signs of chemical agents being applied(for the patina). it suggests it was done over time and by moist air.

It seems like I spend half my week cleaning that stuff of old gear and that very much has the look of the real stuff and it should be removed ASAP. I use wooden toothpicks and Q-Tip cotton swabs. The toothpicks can get under the edges of the metal so that you can remove most traces of the green stuff and after you the big globs off with the toothpicks, the Q-tips work well to clean up the residue.

For tough spots I actually use a bass brush on a variable speed Dremel tool set to its lowest speed: it does not harm the brass fittings or the leather but gets rid of persistent verdigris on metal surfaces.

In my experience the verdigris that builds up around brass or bronze fittings in leather is not all like the kind of patina you might find on say, a copper architectural element on a building or on an old bronze statue: the stuff on leather gets quite thick and eats away at the fittings and weakens the leather, so get rid of it.

That is a great looking holster, by the way: the leather has great patina.

Actually, neither. This is a private purchase M1916 holster made by Brauer Brothers, which was a US military contractor for M1916 holsters in WW2. These private purchase BB holsters conform very closely to the USGI specifications and are quality holsters. I have also observed them with the US-in-the-oval flap marking and the identical marking on the back. Those made for the military have a different style of marking on the back.

They are interesting holsters.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Are you sure there are also sample with the big US? Until now I saw three samples of such a holster and I bought one but none shows the big US.