Afghan Commando patch worn by US Navy Corpsman

Ok, I know this is not a US patch, but it was being worn by a US Navy Corpsman on the sleeve of his ACU (yes, many Sailors wear ACUs in Afghanistan) when I got it, so I think it counts. The Corpsman was part of an Embedded Training Team (an advisor) working with a group of Afghan National Army Commandos from the 203rd ANA Corps operating in Paktika Province, Eastern Afghanistan. The ANA Commandos are apparently the best trained soldiers in the Afghan Army and often work with US Special Operations Forces.

The patch is Afghan made and sewn on velcro. The scan isn't the best, but its as good as I can get on the scanner in my office.

post-781-1249734233.jpg

Vance,

Thanks. Your patch is obviously original, but I had heard rumors that they were reproducing this patch. No one has been able to give me a good answer what to look for when looking for an original. Not 100% sure why someone would be reproducing this patch right now.

I have one of these patches in my collection as well, but mine has a grey velcro backing. Mine is brand new and supposedly came out of A-Stan from a local shop. Thanks for the information.....I'm just trying to get to the bottom of the real vs. fake patches (if any of the patches are fake).

Arch

Arch,

There is probably more than one version of the patch being worn out there. I noticed there is one being sold on ebay right now that is one-piece. The seller claims to be located in Ghazni Afhganistan and the patch was photographed with what looks to be a polish desert camo in the background, which would make sense given the location, so I doubt its fake.

The "local" ANA Commandos here generally don't wear any insignia. Its probably because they want to mimic the US SOF guys they work with, who also don't wear any insignia. I've only ever seen the patch worn by Afghans twice. Besides, the wear of insignia by the Afghan Security Forces is anything but standardized. I've got several more ANA patches I have picked up, but don't want to post them here since they aren't really in keeping with the US only theme of this forum.

Vance

Arch,

There is probably more than one version of the patch being worn out there. I noticed there is one being sold on ebay right now that is one-piece. The seller claims to be located in Ghazni Afhganistan and the patch was photographed with what looks to be a polish desert camo in the background, which would make sense given the location, so I doubt its fake.

The "local" ANA Commandos here generally don't wear any insignia. Its probably because they want to mimic the US SOF guys they work with, who also don't wear any insignia. I've only ever seen the patch worn by Afghans twice. Besides, the wear of insignia by the Afghan Security Forces is anything but standardized. I've got several more ANA patches I have picked up, but don't want to post them here since they aren't really in keeping with the US only theme of this forum.

Vance

Vance,

Thanks a million for the information. It has been very helpful to say in the least. :thumbsup:

federicobernacca

Hi, very nice patch indeed. This is a different fully embroidered version of the same patch made in Kabul. Also a black on white version of the same patch exists. Again the back is provided with velcro.

post-6700-1249924846.jpg