Pre-WWII USN Ribbon Bars...Navy Cross

Brig

Hey guys, a few USN pre-WWII ribbon bars I got while I was gone. Sorry guys, but up until now I've had no experience with pre-WWII bars...

First one...got it on eBay from forum member Mr. Jerry. VERY salty relic. I believe it's Navy. First bar is yellow with blue stripe on either end, any body know the ID? the middle one appears to be solid red, I'm guessing Navy Good Conduct? and the third is yellow, with a green stripe on either end and a dark blue one in the middle. again, ID? the back is stitched with soiled white thread and has a nice sturdy pin. ribbons mounted on brass. sorry, no blacklight. any idea on the era of the whole thing?

second bar, seperate but looks attached in the pic...not sure what branch, any ideas? first bar is red with two dark blue stripes near the center, and the second ribbon is extremely dirty and looks like maybe a WWI Victory ribbon with bronze star device??? ID on the red one? rear is stitched with white thread, mounted on metal, with pinback. Era of the whole thing? the thing is Navy width

third and forth bar are from the same guy, which I find extremely interested as one bar is pinback and the other has no attachment device, so I assume sew on. first bar, 2 place, mounted on cardboard, sewn with black stitching and having maybe been glued to something at one time? First one I know is the Navy cross, the second is the yellow green and blue one on the first bar displayed. ID? second row, mounted on brass and stitched with black thread, with pinback. first ribbon, the red and blue one from the second bar issued. ID? second is a WWI victory medal with bronze star device, and third is yellow and blue striped. ID? Era of whole thing?

Basically, if you guys can tell me branches, IDs, and eras I'd be much obliged. I'm sure they're all originals, but if you experts have doubts of think they're stitched together, please let me know. thanks guys thumbsup.gif

Pre_WWII_USN_Ribbons_Front.jpg

Ok, I'll give this a bit of a shot. I love these old bars!

The bar with the thick blue stripe in the middle and yellow on either side is the Mexican Service Medal:

This medal is issued to all officers and enlisted men of the Navy and Marine Corps who served on shore at Vera Cruz from 21 April 1914 to 23 April 1914, inclusive, or on board any of the following-named vessels between the dates designated below each ship (Navy Department General Order No. 365 of 11 February 1918).

The red ribbon with the 2 blue stripes is the Dominican Campaign Medal:

The period for which the Dominican Campaign Medal will be issued is from 5 May 1916 to 4 December 1916, and any officer or enlisted man of the Navy or Marine Corps who served in Santo Domingo during this period, or part of such period, is entitled to this medal, as are also the officers and enlisted men who were attached to the vessels mentioned in the following list between the dates opposite each vessel (Navy Department General Order No. 76 of 29 December 1921)

The ribbon with the yellow stripes on either side and the blue center looks like the Navy Expeditionary Medal.

Hope that helps out somewhat. They sure look 'right' to me...

I just saw it. musta overlooked it in the book. the blue and yellow striped one is indeed Navy Expeditionary

Jason G suggested, and from looking around I have to agree, that these are probably 1920s era made...anyone have more solid input to toss in? also, I've been told the yellow ribbon with blue edges on the first bar might be a foreign decoration (?)

KASTAUFFER
Jason G suggested, and from looking around I have to agree, that these are probably 1920s era made...anyone have more solid input to toss in? also, I've been told the yellow ribbon with blue edges on the first bar might be a foreign decoration (?)

I believe the Yellow ribbon with the blue edges is for the China Relief Expedition 1900-1901 campaign medal.

The ribbon of this medal originally had yellow and black stripes. The colors were changed in 1915 to yellow and blue to correspond with those of the U.S. Army medal issued for similar service

Kurt

Hey guys, a few USN pre-WWII ribbon bars I got while I was gone. Sorry guys, but up until now I've had no experience with pre-WWII bars...

First one...got it on eBay from forum member Mr. Jerry. VERY salty relic. I believe it's Navy. First bar is yellow with blue stripe on either end, any body know the ID? the middle one appears to be solid red, I'm guessing Navy Good Conduct? and the third is yellow, with a green stripe on either end and a dark blue one in the middle. again, ID? the back is stitched with soiled white thread and has a nice sturdy pin. ribbons mounted on brass. sorry, no blacklight. any idea on the era of the whole thing?

second bar, seperate but looks attached in the pic...not sure what branch, any ideas? first bar is red with two dark blue stripes near the center, and the second ribbon is extremely dirty and looks like maybe a WWI Victory ribbon with bronze star device??? ID on the red one? rear is stitched with white thread, mounted on metal, with pinback. Era of the whole thing? the thing is Navy width

third and forth bar are from the same guy, which I find extremely interested as one bar is pinback and the other has no attachment device, so I assume sew on. first bar, 2 place, mounted on cardboard, sewn with black stitching and having maybe been glued to something at one time? First one I know is the Navy cross, the second is the yellow green and blue one on the first bar displayed. ID? second row, mounted on brass and stitched with black thread, with pinback. first ribbon, the red and blue one from the second bar issued. ID? second is a WWI victory medal with bronze star device, and third is yellow and blue striped. ID? Era of whole thing?

Basically, if you guys can tell me branches, IDs, and eras I'd be much obliged. I'm sure they're all originals, but if you experts have doubts of think they're stitched together, please let me know. thanks guys thumbsup.gif

Old set of U.S. Navy Ribbons - China Relief Exp 1900-01; Good Conduct; Mexican Campign 1914-1017, Dominican Campaign 1916; WWI Victory w/ Star representling a clasp. 2nd set is Navy Cross & Mexican Campaign. Naval Service could be USN/USMC.

Semper Fi....Bob

thanks to everyone for the identifications and information!

the bottom 2 bars are from one guy, so that would be Navy Cross, Mexican Campaign, (pictured backwards by mistake, oops) Navy Expeditionary, WWI Victory w/clasp star, and Dominican Campaign. Because of the Expeditionary, it would make it a Sailor's stack

the top rack are two seperate bars from two seperate people, from 2 seperate dealers. All are Navy/USMC size ribbons.

2 questions remain. I'm thinking these are immediate post-WWI construction styles, anybody with more experience with these bars who can verify it?

second, the two bars on the bottom belonged to the same man, but one is pinback and one is sew-on type. Was it common to see people back then who mismatched their ribbons like this? May have just been what he kept from two different sets. a dozen possibilities.

Personally, I really like the Navy Cross which could have been earned in Mexico, Dominican Republic, or WWI. Wish I had the vets name to research, would be very interesting! :(

also, in reference to the Navy Cross recipient, unless some of his ribbons are missing, I'm guessing he was an officer, as he does not have a GC ribbon.

was the Navy Cross always issued to both officers and enlisted, or only to officers for a period? for some reason I think I remember reading about only officers getting a certain medal for awhile, but cannot remember what medal that was

The Navy Cross wasn't instituted until 1919, there were no retroactive awards for anything prior to WWI. Therefore, I'd guess your winner is either WWI, or perhaps Haiti. That would also account for the 1920's/30's era ribbon bars. Your ribbon bar looks to have the 'small' white stripe, dating the bar, at least, to the earlier issue NC, from 1919-1928.

Hopefully, that helps somewhat in narrowing this down...or not as the case may be LOL...

• 1 month later...