Capt. Stanley E. Morgan - D-DAY Surgeon 506th Parachute Infantry

KASTAUFFER

Again, here is another lot of amazing items found on Ebay, that the seller split up. I bid on every lot and won all the letters. The seller did not know what they were and had no idea they were from a Doctor in the 101st Airborne. Based on the prices I paid, neither did anyone else.

Dr. Stanley E. Morgan was the Surgeon of the 3rd Bn. 506th Parachute Infantry and saw action in both Normandy and in Holland. In Normandy he was fortunate to have been liberated a few days after D-Day before the Germans had a chance to send him to a POW camp. In Holland he was not quite so lucky. In both occasions he was captured while staying with wounded men. He received the Bronze Star for his actions in Holland. The man was a hero.

After he was captured in Holland, he was sent to work in a POW hospital at Obermassfeld which was part of Stalag IXC. All 7 letters he wrote are from there and his wife numbered them on the front as she received them 1-7. You can tell from his letters he missed her dearly.

Dr. Morgan passed away in 2002. Rest in Peace Doctor .

I would like to thank Jake Powers for pointing me to this pic of Dr. Morgan. it was in "Tonight We Die as Men" by Ian Gardner

s7.JPG

Here is the first letter Dr. Morgan sent home from Stalag IXC . In the letter he described briefly that he was captured while remaining with some wounded men .

s5.jpg

Here is the letter Dr. Morgan sent at Christmas time. He expresses gratitude to the American Red Cross for the supplies he had been receiving.

s6.jpg

Mrs. Morgan was very lucky to have a man like Stanley for a husband.

Here is the letter Dr. Morgan sent at Christmas time. He expresses gratitude to the American Red Cross for the supplies he had been receiving.

Mrs. Morgan was very lucky to have a man like Stanley for a husband.

This is one amazing part of 101st A/B history. Congrats Kurt!

Fantastic group! Did the seller break them up letter by letter? Amazing you were able to keep them together!

They sold them 1 letter at a time! I had to bid on them over a 3 week time period. Thank you snipeware :thumbsup:

Kurt

• 2 years later...

Back to the top! Its been a while!

I found this quote on this site:

http://www.506infantry.org/hiswwii/his3rdb...iarticle02.html

The Battalion surgeon, CPT Stanley E. Morgan, of New Orleans, LA, a graduate of Louisiana State University School of Medicine, was captured shortly after his landing in the village of St. Come-du-Mont. He had the misfortune to sprain an ankle on the jump, thereby entitling him to the Purple Heart. After a short interrogation, he was conducted to a German "Krankenstube" situated in St. Come du Mont, where he courageously and fearlessly rendered first aid and definitive surgical care to the huge number of American and German casualties who were brought in. Here, with the assistance of a German medical officer and enlisted personnel, together with SGT Mainard D. Clifton of Ashland, OR, he worked constantly for three days in grave danger, both from revengeful Germans and from our own artillery fire. The town was under siege by our own troops and finally captured on the afternoon of June 8, 1944, releasing CPT Morgan and SGT Clifton.

CPT Morgan, by his heroic conduct and utter disregard of danger, was an inspiration to the many wounded American parachutists who were huddled together under his care. He managed, by both his diplomatic and forceful manner, to direct the evacuation of our seriously wounded by the Germans, securing the lion's share of the limited facilities available and at the same time, salvaging and keeping with him our less injured until the triumphal entry of our own troops. The wounded were all loud in the praise of him, and the Germans captured in later stages of the campaign remembered him vividly.

CPT Morgan again proved his utter disregard of danger and devotion to duty when he volunteered, together with PVT Henry Ritter, of Milwaukee, WI, who spoke German fluently, to go with many of our casualties to St. Lo on a German ambulance. The roads at this time were under fire and bombardment by our own artillery and Air Force, making the trip an extremely hazardous one, especially in the environs of Carentan. This journey also gave CPT Morgan the distinction of being the first American in the invasion force to penetrate as far inland as St. Lo, which did not fall until several weeks later.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

would you have any more info on cpt morgan,i wound up with a bunch of his things and am interested in learning all that i can about this hero,please call me at 1 318 623 8350 i am eager to hear from you,thanks,have a nice day.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 2 months later...