WWII USS ARIZONA PEARL HARBOR SURVIVORS GROUPING

KASTAUFFER

I just picked this up group at a local show yesterday and was amazed at the name on the back of the medal . My Father-In-Law is a Pearl Harbor survivor and is the historian for the Pearl Harbor Survivors Association . He knows and recipient of these medals extremelly well and talks to him frequently. He is going to call him soon and ask him about these medals!

The person who this group is attributed to was a Yeoman 1st Class and was assigned to the USS Arizona at Pearl Harbor. His wife had come out to Hawaii in September and on Sunday 12/7/41 he was with her rather than at his normal post. Her presence in Hawaii saved his life. When the attack began he made his way to Pearl Harbor and helped rescue men in the water and carrried wounded to the Infirmery.

1,177 men perished that day from the USS Arizona . He was one of the 335 who survived.

Later in the war he became an officer and was assigned to an Admiral on Nimitz's Staff on Guam ( thus the Aigulette ) . He probably earned the Navy Commendation Medal for his staff duty, but I do not know yet. He retired as a Lt CDR.

I hope to hear back from my Father-in-law in the next couple of days after he talks to his buddy to find out why I now have his medals!

Kurt

Vlach.JPG

Vlach1.JPG

Vlach2.JPG

Kurt Barickman

Kurt,

That is one heck of a group, you never cease to amaze me with your RARE groupings in your collection.

Kurt Barickman

I just got a call from my Father-In-Law. Evidently Jim (as he goes by) had no kids of his own, and he had given the medals to his niece and she sold them. At least they have a good home now.

Kurt

KASTAUFFER

Here is another pic of Jim taken in December 2006 at Pearl harbor.

VLACH2.JPG

• 1 year later...

Brought back to the top in commemoration of the 67th anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attack.

On a sad note. Jim passed away this year . RIP JIm .

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...