just-a-good-ole-boy

M1 medic lid from last haul

Alright guys, here is yet another medic lid from my last haul. Two panels and yellow circles on the sides. Does anyone have any idea what these signify? A very similar helmet can be found in the book "M1 Helmets of WWII" ( ccmax and Theorywolf's book). The one in the book is described as being a 101'st AB lid id' to a 463rd Parachute Field Artillery Battalion Vet. I cannot confirm or deny this claim. Can anyone expand on this idea or have any other suggestions. The helmet in the book is about 19 pages from the back.

post-2533-1249518698.jpg

Visit my website http://www.m1helmetdepot.com/ for Nice M-1 helmets and parts

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

Very nice and similar to the one in the book. I'd have to ask the owner of that helmet where he obtained his since I don't remember it anymore, but if I am not mistaken he found it in a DRGM among a pile of various other M1's.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Very nice and similar to the one in the book. I'd have to ask the owner of that helmet where he obtained his since I don't remember it anymore, but if I am not mistaken he found it in a DRGM among a pile of various other M1's.

This came out of the John Coy collection/museum.John is no longer with us.Hard to say where he obtained this one from.Like the others there is no record or tags detailing where/who/how it was obtained.

Great Helmet.I had this in hand for a personal look.

RD

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

The helmet from Cesar's book that you speak of, was from the Gary Underhill collection. I almost bought that one from Gary and have kicked myself throughly in the backside many times for passing it up. However, Gary is currently on deployment in Afghanistan so we have no way of asking him now where he got it from. I remember at the time that he was sure that is was an Airborne lid.

Gary is a contributor on the Trigger Time Forum and actually does Airborne reenactment jumps so, I have no reason to question his determination of that helmet being AB. Yours looks very much like that one. Since Cesar has it in his book, maybe he could post a copy of that helmet for comparison. I don't want to violate any copyrights on his book but, he can give the OK for it.

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."
donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Several years back I had a fixed bail marked like this one without the medics insignia - The painted balls did appear to be vessicant paint but I was never 100% positive, painted with a stencil as this one also appears to be. I was never convinced it was truly an airborne piece so I sold it .

The photos I got from Gary are in another computer, so if you give me some time I will post them. The one in this thread is in better condition. It also shows difference between the paint of the medic panels and the round insignia on the sides.

Cute cat Bob. Reminds me of one of mine.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Steve, after seeing Mr. Underhill's 101st helmet and seeing the striking resemblances of yours, I think you have a pretty outstanding chance of having his helmets twin. It is pretty hard not to believe yours is a Airbone medics helmet after seeing Mr. Underhill's. You should post it on Trigger Time and see what some of the airborne collectors on there think. Might very well be worth your time.

Wade

"We want to get the hell over there. The quicker we clean up this Goddamned mess, the quicker we can take a little jaunt against the purple pissing Japs and clean out their nest, too. Before the Goddamned Marines get all of the credit."

- General George S. Patton, Jr

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

im probably being a bit dim here but if this is an airborne helmet i cant seem to see the extra tabs to fix it to the liner or have i gone blind :blink: :think:

Regards Nick

im probably being a bit dim here but if this is an airborne helmet i cant seem to see the extra tabs to fix it to the liner or have i gone blind :blink: :think:

Airborne Glider Infantry Regiment's did not have the M-2 or M-1C's. Also, many AB groups came in on boats on D-Day. Many others were replacements whose only jumps consisted of Tail-gate jumps. Again, many of these never got AB lids.

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."
donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

The yellow paint has me baffled, the airborne used white as far as I know or have seen?......beach maybe.... :think: ....mike

Always looking for and buying 50's era 11th Airborne/ 187th ARCT/ 82nd Airborne tac mark painted jump helmets!

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2017.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.