Civil defense Police Helmet Liner

DutchInfid3l

DutchInfid3l

A Civil defense police helmet liner I got off of eBay, looked interesting and I enjoy police related items. Anyone have any information on this one?

military001-2.jpg

military003-1.jpg

military004-1.jpg

Thanks!

-Sarah

craig_pickrall

The way that liner is made is very similar to the liners that were cut down and made into children's toy liners. These liners were rejects for what ever reason. A lot of them were low pressure liners. The shells were sold as surplus and some aftermarket service converted them for civilian use.

There are at least two threads here on the children's liners. You can probably find them with a search.

DutchInfid3l
The way that liner is made is very similar to the liners that were cut down and made into children's toy liners. These liners were rejects for what ever reason. A lot of them were low pressure liners. The shells were sold as surplus and some aftermarket service converted them for civilian use.

There are at least two threads here on the children's liners. You can probably find them with a search.

Thanks for a place to start and look. I've had a look around at some of the examples and some look very similar.

My question though is would CD have actually have these or perhaps the decal was added for a child to wear as well to feel important and involved?

CNY Militaria
Yeah, I had searched Civil defense and ran across yours. Very nice! What did you use to take off the orange paint?

A pocket knife actually and a lot of TLC.

craig_pickrall
Thanks for a place to start and look. I've had a look around at some of the examples and some look very similar.

My question though is would CD have actually have these or perhaps the decal was added for a child to wear as well to feel important and involved?

I hadn't thought of it like that but it does make sense that it is a child's toy with the decal added. I don't think CD would have used these but more likely they would have the normal CD helmet or a M1917A1 or even issue M1 liners. I think they could draw these from government stock.

Every thing I have ever seen on the liners converted for children's toys indicate the liner has been cut down and reshaped. I have only examined the single version I own so I can't say for sure on the others. On mine it is obvious that it has been modified at a glance assuming you know what a real M1 liner looks like. I'm not sure why they were cut down. Possibly to fit children better or prehaps they were required to modify them at government order. Compare your liner with an original and see if it has been modified.

You might also try pinning down when that particular CD decal style was used. It may be post WW2. Look for info on the word CIVIL vs CIVILIAN. I think they used civilian during WW2 and civil post war. I just checked one source and it shows CITIZENS DEFENSE during WW2.