Help needed - Castner's Cutthroats WWII mountain rucksack?

PandoWeasel

PandoWeasel

This is a wire frame 1941 mountain rucksack that was originally purchased as a 10th Mountain Division artifact about 15-20 years ago.

I have recently been going through my old collection and researching pieces. I had made note of the name and serial # on the pack at the time of sale, but before the internet, it was not customary to research serial numbers on items of militaria.

I know that the U.S. issue mountain rucksack was not the standard issue for the Alaska Scouts, but the name and the serial # match that of one Samuel Kakik.

I have had this backpack packed away in a box for at least ten years now, and just Googled the name and number for the first time tonight, and was shocked when I started learning that the rucksack might have belonged to a member of Castner's Cutthroats?????

I am a new member of the forum, and want teveryone to know that I am not selling the backpack, so that nobody thinks I am an internet wacko claiming crazy things.

I would like some input from experienced collectors on this- is this rucksack really a relic from the Alaska Scouts, or did I make a mistake in my research?

I read the book 'Castner's Cutthroats' by Jim Rearden as a kid about 25 times. I had no idea that I might own a rucksack used by one of the scouts.

I wish I could answer questions about where it came from, but at the time it was just another wire frame mountain rucksack on a table, and I do not remember any details about when or where I bought it. Unfortunately that also means I cannot be sure that someone did not fabricate the name and serial number after the war and before I bought it.

I hope not!

Thanks for any input!

post-7450-1249442516.jpg

PandoWeasel

I welcome feedback and ideas, even if people think this item is a fake.

I am more interested in determining if it is authentic or not, and am not sure how to really do so by myself.

I am hoping that experienced militaria collectors can help me with this process, or guide me in the proper direction.

So do not be afraid to hurt my feelings, if that is the case. I want to find out how to get the truth about this rucksack.

Thanks again!

craig_pickrall

Hello Pando and welcome to the forum.

I changed the title of your thread a little to call attention to your plea for help. It may take a few days before the right person sees the thread so be patient. There are several good researchers here that can help.

I know very little about "Castner's Cutthroats", but I did find information on a Samual Kakik taking part in a rescue in 1944. A C-47 transport crashed near Mt. McKinley with 19 people on board. 44 men volunteered to take part in the rescue and Samual Kakik was one of the Army volunteers.

The following is a link to that story: http://www.mosephillips.com/expedition.ppt