How to store wings

joshypogi

I was wondering if anybody have any advice on how to store wings properly. Any coments is greatly appreciated.

Josh,

Metal wings can be stored just about any way you please that will protect them from banging into each other or anything else. The only caveat is that you should avoid storing them with or near anything that gives off sulfur (some kinds of rubber) as that will serve to expedite tarnish.

Bullion embroidered wings should be stored in such a way that they lay flat, and with nothing laying on top of them or pressing down on the bullion. Antique bullion can be quite delicate so storing bullion wings in a Riker Mount will put enough pressure on them as to "squash" the bullion. I prefer to store mine in small, chemically neutral archival boxes, with each wing in a small air-tight, archival safe bag.

I use heavy stock business cards, write ID info on the reverse, and put them in a plastic page made for holding the cards. Each page holds 10-wings and they fit in a regular 3-hole, D-ring notebook. I think I can get about 100 wings in a 4-inch binder. The only problem I've had with this approach has been with the Juarez wings which are a bit too long to stay tucked in their slots.

In the refrigerator, to keep them fresh :blink:

Actually, mine are all in padded glass display frames, on black felt, hanging on the wall. My personal philosophy is: "If you can't see them, what's the point!" :w00t:

FYI, watch Hobby Lobby, they run these GREAT 50% off sales all the time

Paul

John Cooper

Althought it depends on how many wings you own but I agree with Paul C that they should be on display.

Question for Paul S - what type of clear plastic do you use? In general it is my understanding that if it is no archival quality or at least polyethylene then you may be damaging your wings due to the release of acids and gases.

John

John,

I use a mix of polyethylene and some of the older, stiffer plastic pages. I've had some slides in the older style of plastic pages which have, after 30-years, shown some signs of degradation. The degradation hasn't damaged the old pictures and the pages are showing a kind of greasiness. So, I think your concern about plastic degradation, while valid, is most likely a long term problem that you might not encounter if you remain active with your collection and move things around in the pages.

Since I started in this hobby with the modest goal of making a framed display of a unique crew's wings accompanying their group picture, beyond the frame and its interior materials, I haven't given much thought to longer term storage. The ideas presented by others in this thread all seem perfectly good...it's a matter of personal preference.

Paul S

I use heavy stock business cards, write ID info on the reverse, and put them in a plastic page made for holding the cards. Each page holds 10-wings and they fit in a regular 3-hole, D-ring notebook. I think I can get about 100 wings in a 4-inch binder. The only problem I've had with this approach has been with the Juarez wings which are a bit too long to stay tucked in their slots.

I tried this method this morning and it is brilliant! I have been looking for a way to keep ID'd wings with their documentation and this works great.

As far as John Cooper's thoughts, I believe they are very valid and I'll have to find better sleeves to store the cards in. But this method beats having the wings laying in a tupperware container in a drawer (my current method of storing non-id'd wings)!

" tupperware container in a drawer" :o Erick, you live closer to the Hobby Lobby than I do I bet ! :D

Well, ummm, yeh, I have walked over to Hobby Lobby a couple of times, so I am probably closer. :) But hey, my tupperware storage is better than my old method of tool bin drawers!

I'm more of a uniform guy. Until this forum, I thought wings were just a thing used to complete the uniform. I never knew there were so many variations, manufacturers, etc.! I have owned those observer's wings that I posted a couple weeks ago ( http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...c=46970&hl= ) for over twenty years. It wasn't until I posted them, that I looked at the back. They had been on the same card on which I received them all this time.

Awaking my curiosity of these wings is a direct result of the posting that you guys have done!

Well, ummm, yeh, I have walked over to Hobby Lobby a couple of times, so I am probably closer. :) But hey, my tupperware storage is better than my old method of tool bin drawers!

I'm more of a uniform guy. Until this forum, I thought wings were just a thing used to complete the uniform. I never knew there were so many variations, manufacturers, etc.! I have owned those observer's wings that I posted a couple weeks ago ( http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...c=46970&hl= ) for over twenty years. It wasn't until I posted them, that I looked at the back. They had been on the same card on which I received them all this time.

Awaking my curiosity of these wings is a direct result of the posting that you guys have done!

Oh great, MORE competition in the Metro Indy area, I'll never find anything ... :crying: I missed those observer wings, very nice!

I want to add that I like to use the cases that Bob mentiones on his site of which I have 3 of their large size plus a med size and they are well made and priced very well.

John

http://www.ww2wings.com/displays.shtml

John,

I actually bought the large case from them but I have not used it. I am concerned about the wings being smashed against the glass and I dont want it damaged. Is it safe to use on a world war I wing such is Shreve which is hollow? Any suggestions..

Thanks,

Jason

Jason,

The high density backing allows the wing to be pressed in so it makes a form fitting place for your wing. If you are concerned you can pre-compress the area you wing will sit in before closing the glass.

I have not had any wing damaged.

John