Cleaning/repairing a book and photo

MFortney

I have to separate pieces that I'm seeking advice on.

The first is a 1'x3.5' photo of the Desert Training Area in CA during WWII. The drawing has been rolled up for a very long time but does unroll and I don't think it's too dry to cause damage. That being said, there is a fair amount of dirt/residue on the photo, is there a method to clean this off? It doesn't have to perfect but I would like to preserve it the best I can. There is also a 3" tear on one end of the photo. The pieces seems to all fold back together but I don't want it to get torn further. Is there a method to fix tears or are they best left as-is?

My second problem is that someone thought it was appropriate to repair a book with masking tape, nice 2-3" masking tape... The book details the armored divisions of WW2 and was my grandfathers so I would like to display it. The problem is that in it's current state, it's not worth putting out. The tape covers the spine (with an overlap) and there are a few pieces running across the face. Is there any way to remove this tape without damaging the book? (The book has obviously started to come apart and thus why the tape was used but I'll cross that bridge once I get rid of the tape)

Thanks in advance.

Once masking tape dries that adhesive becomes stronger than whatever it is attached to and darned near impossible to remove: I've tried all manner of solvents on masking tape on metal and couldn't get anywhere with it.

Your best solution may be to cover tape with tape by using the hinge and spine repair tapes made just for books:

http://gaylordmart.com/listing.asp?H=7&PCI=132134

I have to separate pieces that I'm seeking advice on.

The first is a 1'x3.5' photo of the Desert Training Area in CA during WWII. The drawing has been rolled up for a very long time but does unroll and I don't think it's too dry to cause damage. That being said, there is a fair amount of dirt/residue on the photo, is there a method to clean this off? It doesn't have to perfect but I would like to preserve it the best I can. There is also a 3" tear on one end of the photo. The pieces seems to all fold back together but I don't want it to get torn further. Is there a method to fix tears or are they best left as-is?

My second problem is that someone thought it was appropriate to repair a book with masking tape, nice 2-3" masking tape... The book details the armored divisions of WW2 and was my grandfathers so I would like to display it. The problem is that in it's current state, it's not worth putting out. The tape covers the spine (with an overlap) and there are a few pieces running across the face. Is there any way to remove this tape without damaging the book? (The book has obviously started to come apart and thus why the tape was used but I'll cross that bridge once I get rid of the tape)

Thanks in advance.

If it's dirt "dirt", as in soil and dust type crud, then it will brush off with white T-shirt cotton cloth. If not, then leave it be unless you are pretty sure what it's made of. Obviously, no using of anything moist.

The tear should be stabilized on the back side of the photo. Use mending paper (anything neutral pH/non-acidic) with an organic reversible paste - put under weight for a day or so.

As for problem #2... if it were mine to do, and with the caveat that I have not seen the extent of damage in person, and if you aren't hugely worried about the monetary value of the book - then, by going really really really slowly and gently with a single-edge razor blade you can gradually remove most of the residue by scraping in a motion parallel to the surface.

I would not be afraid to lightly moisten the tape first, and then patiently work it down... being really patient.

When finished, there will be lighter dry places where you've gotten down to the support material, of course. Those can be darkened as much as they're going to be by using (believe it or not) spit. The marks won't go away 100%, but your tape and adhesive residue will be mostly gone, and it should look a lot better - aged and used for sure, but better.

Only other option is to spend $250-500 to have a paper/book conservator remove it to invisibility.

I would not increase the damage by adding any more tape or anything else, if what you want is to improve its appearance. If you are only trying to stabilize it without regard for appearance, then using binding tape is standard procedure.

Here's a link to getting preservation supplies like mending tape and neutral glue:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=26375

Based on how bad the book is .... there is a retired museum currator in my town who repairs books. He is very reasonable .... I've never spent more than $50.00 for a historically-correct repair. It takes him a few weeks, but he's always done a great job on my stuff.

I'll post some repaired items for you to look at, if interested.

Tim

If it's dirt "dirt", as in soil and dust type crud, then it will brush off with white T-shirt cotton cloth. If not, then leave it be unless you are pretty sure what it's made of. Obviously, no using of anything moist.

The tear should be stabilized on the back side of the photo. Use mending paper (anything neutral pH/non-acidic) with an organic reversible paste - put under weight for a day or so.

I believe most of the dirt is just that so I'll do a "dry" clean as you recommend. Thanks for the tip on repairing that tear, I'll pick up those items and get that fixed.

Here is a picture of the masking tape debacle. I'll see if I can gently remove it with the methods everyone has recommended. This item has more sentimental value than anything else so I really just want to get it to a point where it can be displayed. In it's current state I'm not willing to put it out.

post-7311-1249348842.jpg

Thanks for all of the assistance.

TLHSS, I would be interested in seeing some repaired items, thanks.

I believe most of the dirt is just that so I'll do a "dry" clean as you recommend. Thanks for the tip on repairing that tear, I'll pick up those items and get that fixed.

Here is a picture of the masking tape debacle. I'll see if I can gently remove it with the methods everyone has recommended. This item has more sentimental value than anything else so I really just want to get it to a point where it can be displayed. In it's current state I'm not willing to put it out.

armor_force.jpg

Thanks for all of the assistance.

TLHSS, I would be interested in seeing some repaired items, thanks.

Ouch - that looks real bad, across the front like that.

post-7311-1249348842.jpg

That, is a paper cover if I am seeing it correctly.

I would not touch it with anything.

It is possible to have the tape professionally removed.

Yea it's quite hideous in it's current state :(

The cover is paper. It's slightly thicker than the following pages and has a gloss to it but it does seem rather fragile.

Has the masking tape dried? Can you tell how old it is? If it's not too old/dried, you can try this:

Working with a Q-tip, a little Goo-Gone, and a razor blade carefully get under the masking tape with the razor. Then wet the Q-tip with the solvent and dab the sticky side of the masking tape as you work it back with the razor. Don't over-do it with the solvent, you don't want to soak the cover. Just enough to dissolve the sticky stuff. This is extremely slow, and I've only used it with cards and glossy type paper. If the cover is closer to newsprint type paper, you might be out of luck.

Test in an inconspicuous part first to see if the masking tape will even give. I've also used a hair drier to heat up the tape and make it easier to remove.

Has the masking tape dried? Can you tell how old it is? If it's not too old/dried, you can try this:

=

The tape is pretty dry. I would say it's been on there for at least 20 years, possibly longer. I don't think this particular book saw a lot of use in recent (and not so recent) years.

Yea it's quite hideous in it's current state :(

The cover is paper. It's slightly thicker than the following pages and has a gloss to it but it does seem rather fragile.

I'm so glad you showed the photo.

Scraping or using moisture on that thing would just destroy it without being done professionally.

Be prepared, if/when that tape does get off of there, for there to be darker areas where it once was - since it had been shielded from fading longer... not that it will matter, it'll sure look much better.