1926 H&H Fire Bronze EGA Collar Set

teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

Someone is about to aquire a very nice set of early style 1926 H&H service collar emblems unmarked, but, stamped in "Fire Bronze"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...p;rd=1&rd=1

The question for ardent EGA collectors; will the auction price represent demand for this variety or reflect the likely rarity of these?

My sense is condition and rarity.

1926_H_H_fire_bronze_front.jpg

1926_H_H_fire_bronze_back.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

The question for ardent EGA collectors; will the auction price represent demand for this variety or reflect the likely rarity of these?

Looks like the auction had a reserve. The # 2 bid is $356.90 with the # 1 bid at 750.00 . it will be interesting to see what the final bid is.

Kurt

Darrell, I agree! Thanks for posting these beautiful emblems for all to watch. While they are very desirable emblems, my honest opinion is they've already reached what many EGA collectors consider a fair price as to availability. With that said, the way eBay goes and the deep pockets involved in bidding for these type of early emblems, my guess is the $750 they're sitting at right now is only a warm up bid and the final price will more than double before the close of auction. I'm guessing, because of previous auctions, they'll go for between $1500 and $2000 with the price most likely being closer to the $2000 mark.

Gary

teufelhunde.ret

Sadly, I must agree for the reasons in our PM this weekend. I've been at the end of 5 desireable auctions in ther last two months only to see my final bid dashed by a few dollars. My sense (re-stated) the price will be detemined by condition and raritey. This is were we part company, neither of of these can dictate a condition based on either, where more than the current or a few more $ can justify. Would you agree there are more rare varities of fire bronze out there? Esp, those that are hallmarked think.gif

Brig, if your not willing to acknowledge the epay market place and its presence on the collectors motivation and desires, you will be spending forever in the flea markets looking...... those days are drawing to close.

That is were this forum is so important, without discussion and debate market demands will dictate the costs of our hobby and we will all be spending our time in flea market venues. This is the place to help detemine what fair markets values are and in the end your sediment is on the right path, but, your cannot ignore what other market forces (collectors) are doing. I need to send you the lenghty PM I had w/ Gary this weekend. Best regards, Godspeed.........

Bob Hudson

Sound likes what I say about Southern California housing prices: someone will say "My house is worth $750,000."

I'll reply, "No, that's how much it might sell for, but it's only worth $200,000." :)

But really ebay prices are the primary "market value" these days, however with collectibles there is seldom a clear "worth" and the only true value is what someone is willing to pay and that is seldom static.

teufelhunde.ret

Can we get an AMEN to that comment. I love Antiques Road Show, they reveal a remarkable diversity of the collecting spectrum. While the appraisal's are seldom in depth or dead on what the market / auction will bring, you never hear them recommending insuring less that their estimate and typically 30% more that the auction estimate.

Moreover, its remarkable how often you hear "the market has been slow lately, but, lately collectors are blowing the roof off with final bids for these items". As was discussed in another post a few weeks ago; a $20 collectable item will seldom see the appreciation a $200 collectable.

It is and always will be about quality and rarity. thumbsup.gif

• 6 months later...

Dutton_left_service_ega_OBV.JPG

This bird is a little unusual to me in its design. Note the very large feet and wide-spread legs. The detail is excellent and uses embossed continents. The eagle detail is very fine. In bronze, with a pin-back incorporating a roller-lock, it is totally devoid of any markings.

The owner of this gem was an early aviator named Horace "Hoke" Palmer, football player from Ohio. He was a Lt. in the Ohio N.G. when he joined the USMC in 1918 for flight training, got his wings in 1919 and was in the the Corps until 1936 when he was retired as a 1st Lt, apparently overage in grade. Never made Captain in spite of the fact that he commanded 2 squadrons, flew everything in the inventory and was awarded the Nicargaguan Military Merit Medal with diploma. From reading his file I suspect he was a "bad boy". He also had an Expeditionary Medal and a 2nd Nic. Campaign. A most interesting character. I only got this one EGA with his medals, log books and 2 great photo albums/scrapbooks.

After seeing Bob's great find in Oceanside of the USMC Intell Officer I almost didn't post this. Then I was reflecting on the fact that USMC collar insignia are a lot like socks. You put two in a drawer and only one comes out! There sure are a lot of 'singleton' collar EGAs out there.

Anybody have the mate to this bird or comments about who and when it was made, please post. Enjoy.

Semper Fi.....Bobgee

Dutton_left_service_ega_REV.JPG

teufelhunde.ret

Hey Bob... great piece, love this style... wit the feet off design very reminiscence of the real early 1900's Meyer eagle and dipped wings. My guess is this is one of the first H&H emblems they produced, stempled globe and embossed continents.

And enjoyed reading about his background too... he should have gotten out of the Wing and joined Chesty on the ground... sounds like they would have been quite a pair. Surprising he was not recalled for WW2... maybe he got to close to the Generals daughter ;)