Please help with WWI wings

juvatwad

I've had these for around 10 years, but never really examined them in detail. I believe they came with a group of items. They are unmarked, and I wonder if they are repros?

Ian

wing1.jpg

wing2.jpg

wing3.jpg

wing4.jpg

wing5.jpg

wing6.jpg

I've had these for around 10 years, but never really examined them in detail. I believe they came with a group of items. They are unmarked, and I wonder if they are repros?

Ian

wing1.jpg

wing2.jpg

wing3.jpg

wing4.jpg

wing5.jpg

wing6.jpg

Ian,

I would suspect that this is a post war Meyer or WC Link restrike that someone has added a US to. I can't tell from the pic if the US is Gold or Brass, if brass 100% chance of a later add on. I know of no original WW1 period wings with a brass or gold plated US. Gold US during that period only cost about a quarter (The sterling wing with gold US sold for $3.50 during the war) and no respectable pilot would have purchased a wing with a gold plated US. The catch appears to be post war. Meyer restruck this style wing for sale in the PX throughout the 20's using this type catch. One sees a lot of the Meyer wings without a US with a simple hook type catch. Meyer did not use that type hook catch and all those wings are 1960's or later restrikes. Without hands on its always hard tell but I would say post war.

Terry

Thanks, Terry. I suspect repro, but how can I differentiate brass from gold on this (probably a stupid question)?

Ian

Thanks, Terry. I suspect repro, but how can I differentiate brass from gold on this (probably a stupid question)?

Ian

Ian,

Gold usually doesn't discolor, hit it with a blitz cloth and see what you get. A jeweler can tell you if its plated or real gold. I see a small circle area in the center of the shield on the back side. If that is not a flaw in the photo, it would probably be where the WC Link logo was located and removed before being restruck. It is a nice looking wing, I just feel its probably post war.

Terry