Unknown Panther Patch

36-tex

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar unauthorized pocket patch for the command staff of the 12th AD - ca. 1943 - the original "Hellcat". It came from the estate of a former CO.

post-622-1178928201.jpg

mortaydc60

Tex, why do you call yours a repro? It looks identical to Daves. I saw it on ebay and thought I recognized the patch;it is so obscure and unknown to most collecters I can not invision it being a repro. Mort

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, see the pic of the School Emblem I added.

looks like (I'm almost 100 % sure) that you guys have patches from the Hanau American High School. The Hanau Panthers.

This is a jacket patch.

Hanau American High School Germany - more on the internet about them.

I used to work in Hanau and I'm 100 % sure they still wear it on their High School Jackets. - seen it many times thumbsup.gif

hope this helps you out a bit

take care

Phil

post-1035-1181336328.gif

I am actually leaning towards 12th AD. If you compare the three patches, it closely resembles the 12th AD, as opposed to the Hanau American High School. This is particularly noticable in the shading technique. As far as the original/reproduction aspect is concerned, I don't know.

Chris

• 2 months later...

I was just watching a re-run of Forrest Gump on tv. In the sceen when he is in the "Black Panther" party one of the "panthers" is wearing a leather jacket with this on the right chest.

I was just watching a re-run of Forrest Gump on tv. In the sceen when he is in the "Black Panther" party one of the "panthers" is wearing a leather jacket with this on the right chest.

As with a ton of movies and TV shows, using militaria insignia, or HS patches, or any other type of patch (advertising, sports teams, etc) had little or nothing to do with subject matter or accuracy. Of course, then there are movies like a "Soldier's Story" which took a real patch (93rd CMB), removed the "93", added "221", and had collectors looking for a patch that never existed for a unit that never existed. ASMIC published an article on movie patches a while back. There are movies that are historically accurate - from an insigina point of view - just don't bet on it.

It is important to note that the WW II 66th Infantry Division, known as the "Black Panthers" because of their patch, deleted the"Black" from their veteran's organization in the 60s, corresponding w/ the rise of the "Black Panther" political/social movement here on the West Coast. The 66th ID vet's organization took offense, and became known as the 66th Panthers.