Lee Marvin, Capt Kangaroo & Mr. Rogers... Facts and Urban Myths... Read Carefully

kphfun

Just thought I would share this with the forum as it is very interesting indeed and just goes to show that people are not always what we would think they are.. Cheers

You Would Never Have Guessed

Captain Kangaroo passed away on January 23, 2004 at age 76 , which is odd, because he always looked to be 76. (DOB: 6/27/27 ) His death reminded me of the following story.

Some people have been a bit offended that the actor, Lee Marvin, is buried in a grave alongside 3 and 4-star generals at Arlington National Cemetery His marker gives his name, rank (PVT) and service (USMC). Nothing else. Here's a guy who was only a famous movie star who served his time, why the heck does he rate burial with these guys? Well, following is the amazing answer:

I always liked Lee Marvin, but didn't know the extent of his Corps experiences.

In a time when many Hollywood stars served their country in the armed forces often in rear echelon posts where they were carefully protected, only to be trotted out to perform for the cameras in war bond promotions, Lee Marvin was a genuine hero. He won the Navy Cross at Iwo Jima There is only one higher Naval award... the Medal Of Honor!

If that is a surprising comment on the true character of the man, he credits his sergeant with an even greater show of bravery.

Dialog from "The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson": His guest was Lee Marvin.. Johnny said, "Lee, I'll bet a lot of people are unaware that you were a Marine in the initial landing at Iwo Jima ..and that during the course of that action you earned the Navy Cross and were severely wounded."

"Yeah, yeah... I got shot square in the bottom and they gave me the Cross for securing a hot spot about halfway up Suribachi. Bad thing about getting shot up on a mountain is guys getting shot hauling you down. But, Johnny, at Iwo , I served under the bravest man I ever knew... We both got the Cross the same day, but what he did for his Cross made mine look cheap in comparison. That dumb guy actually stood up on Red beach and directed his troops to move forward and get the hell off the beach. Bullets flying by, with mortar rounds landing everywhere and he stood there as the main target of gunfire so that he could get his men to safety. He did this on more than one occasion because his men's safety was more important than his own life.

That Sergeant and I have been lifelong friends. When they brought me off Suribachi we passed the Sergeant and he lit a smoke and passed it to me, lying on my belly on the litter and said, "Where'd they get you Lee?" "Well Bob.... if you make it home before me, tell Mom to sell the outhouse!"

Johnny, I'm not lying, Sergeant Keeshan was the bravest man I ever knew.

The Sergeant's name is Bob Keeshan. You and the world know him as Captain Kangaroo."

On another note, there was this wimpy little man (who passed away) on PBS, gentle and quiet. Mr. Rogers is another of those you would least suspect of being anything but what he now portrays to our youth. But Mr. Rogers was a U.S. Navy Seal, combat-proven in Vietnam with over twenty-five confirmed kills to his name. He wore a long-sleeved sweater on TV, to cover the many tattoos on his forearm and biceps. He was a master in small arms and hand-to-hand combat, able to disarm or kill in a heartbeat

After the war Mr. Rogers became an ordained Presbyterian minister and therefore a pacifist. Vowing to never harm another human and also dedicating the rest of his life to trying to help lead children on the right path in life.. He hid away the tattoos and his past life and won our hearts with his quiet wit and charm..

America's real heroes don't flaunt what they did; they quietly go about their day-to-day lives, doing what they do best. They earned our respect and the freedoms that we all enjoy.

Look around and see if you can find one of those heroes in your midst.

Often, they are the ones you'd least suspect, but would most like to have on your side if anything ever happened.

You may want to check on the facts about these stories....several of these are listed as "urban legends" (Lee Marvin and Keeshan meeting on Iwo...although both were Marines during WWII....and Rogers a Navy Seal...not sure that one is true either).

You may want to check on the facts about these stories....several of these are listed as "urban legends" (Lee Marvin and Keeshan meeting on Iwo...although both were Marines during WWII....and Rogers a Navy Seal...not sure that one is true either).

That is mostly myth - the Capt. Kangaroo part is all myth

Yes Keeshan enlisted in the Marines June of 45 so doubtful he saw combat before the end of the war.....the Mr. Rogers piece is urban legend....although it is true Marvin was wounded on Saipan.

Ummm... I remember Mr. Rogers doing his show DURING the Vietnam War. That was back when television came in fuzzy and in two colors, black and white.

This story has be debunked on a number of Internet websites.

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/mrrogers.asp

Fred Rogers was born in 1928 so its a stretch at best for him to serve in Viet Nam as snopes states.

Would have been funny to see him in SEAL gear patrolling at night asking the enemy...Wont you be my Neighbor?

RON

Would have been funny to see him in SEAL gear patrolling at night asking the enemy...Wont you be my Neighbor?

RON

Hahahah, that is what I was trying to picture Ron as he was cutting some throats. :lol:

Sorry for the lame info all as it was something sent to me and I took it for truth :unsure: . I knew Lee served but had never heard of the others but did not doubt it. Glad I did not send it to many people. :lol:

RON

Hahahah, that is what I was trying to picture Ron as he was cutting some throats. :lol:

Sorry for the lame info all as it was something sent to me and I took it for truth :unsure: . I knew Lee served but had never heard of the others but did not doubt it. Glad I did not send it to many people. :lol:

Kev,

We all have gotten that email or ones like them.I got this same one off an on for a couple years.There is one now circulating about the MOH chopper pilot dying and not getting recognized because of the Prince o Pops funeral.I had my doubts and sure enough it was fake.Ed had died about a year or so earlier.

"Children can you say...claymore????"

RON

I saw Lee Marvin's grave during a recent trip to DC. I'd walked right by it probably adozen time before and had never noticed it. It's very close to the tomb of the unkowns...

post-2617-1249186754.jpg

Lee Marvin was an amazing actor with many awards including an oscar but was most proud of his time in the marines.He could have been buried anywhere among hollywood elite but has a simple tomstone with ww2 marine on it. Rest in peace Mr. Marvin s/f Mark

Fred Rogers was born in 1928 so its a stretch at best for him to serve in Viet Nam as snopes states.

My dad was born in 1925, entered the service in the early fifties, and went to Nam! all that aside, Mr. Roger's Neighborhood started in 1968.....

Ian

• 2 months later...

Also, just FYI... any retiree can be buried in Arlington National Cemetary is he so chooses. Right along with all the generals and admirals. No need to be famous, or a hero.

Wayne

316th FS 324th FG

As I read the link, any retiree is eligible.

Any veteran who is retired from active military service with the Armed Forces.

Any veteran who is retired from the Reserves is eligible upon reaching age 60 and drawing retired pay; and who served a period of active duty (other than for training).

The decoration requirement is for those who are not career and thus didnt retire.

shrapneldude

I don't know how many shouting matches and fistfights the Mr. Rogers myth has caused, but quite a few times during my time Active and Reserve with the USMC, I found myself shouting "He wasn't in Vietnam! He was a Minister for god's sake! He got ordained before that war even started!!!!" These are very, very popular urban legends and some people truly believe them. Without resorting to physical violence on behalf of truth, please everyone, educate as many people as you can on this. BS stories like Mr. Rogers 200 confirmed Kills in Vietnam and Capt. Kangaroo single-handedly capturing Mt. Suribachi only stand to further the warped and tainted view of history so many people hold today.

I always liked Ernest Borgnine.

This is from Wikipedia:

"Borgnine joined the United States Navy in 1935 after high school. He was discharged in 1941, but he re-enlisted when the United States entered World War II and served until 1945 (a total of ten years), reaching the rank of Gunner's Mate 1st Class. His military decorations included the American Campaign Medal, the Good Conduct Medal, the American Defense Service Medal with Fleet Clasp, and the World War II Victory Medal.

In 2004, Borgnine received the honorary rank of Chief Petty Officer from the Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy Terry D. Scott—the US Navy's highest ranking enlisted sailor at the time—for Borgnine's support of the Navy and naval families worldwide."

I always liked Ernest Borgnine.

This is from Wikipedia:

"Borgnine joined the United States Navy in 1935 after high school. He was discharged in 1941, but he re-enlisted when the United States entered World War II and served until 1945 (a total of ten years), reaching the rank of Gunner's Mate 1st Class. His military decorations included the American Campaign Medal, the Good Conduct Medal, the American Defense Service Medal with Fleet Clasp, and the World War II Victory Medal.

In 2004, Borgnine received the honorary rank of Chief Petty Officer from the Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy Terry D. Scott—the US Navy's highest ranking enlisted sailor at the time—for Borgnine's support of the Navy and naval families worldwide."

And to think, all the times he was thrown in the brig by Capt. Binghamton he was actually able to keep his Good Conduct Medal...That wacky McHale!

• 11 years later...
The Rooster

Lee Marvin was a Marine before he ever became an actor.

He got into it after the war. He enjoyed the movies, watching them when he was growing up.

This looks like something he did for the Corps.