Color Name Tapes

36-tex

O.K.

First off I just used my new camera, so I hope these come thru.

Do they look military or Boy Scout?

Well, I am familiar with both USArmy and BSA -- I guarantee these are Army -- mid '50's and were worn by an artilleryman, possibly in Germany. Fatigue uniforms, except when worn by officers, showed no branch insignia. Some units allowed/encouraged the use of branch colored name tapes -- see Craig Pickrall's posting of the WW2 colors.

I will post some more examples tomorrow.

G

Gil, I am VERY excited to hear this. I would love to see your examples. There were four of these in a baggie at a flea market booth. I saw them and thought "MILITARY 1950's-60's" but have not been able to PROVE it. Thanks for the info and look forward to more.

Gil, I am VERY excited to hear this. I would love to see your examples. There were four of these in a baggie at a flea market booth. I saw them and thought "MILITARY 1950's-60's" but have not been able to PROVE it. Thanks for the info and look forward to more.

Here are a couple of examples on uniforms. Three shots of more loose examples follow when I get them back from Christina.

135_3509__2_.JPG

Here are a couple of examples on uniforms. Three shots of more loose examples follow when I get them back from Christina.

And this one was worn by LTG (later BG) DeWitt C. Armstrong when he commanded 1/2nd ACR in Germany about 1955. I have a photo of him wearing this exact jacket.

135_3510__2_.JPG

That fatigue shirt seals it for me! I think the baggie had 1st or 6th AD patches in it as well. See any connection?

No, I don't really see any connection, but here are a few more!

Nametapes_1.jpg

Nametapes_2.jpg

Nametapes_3.jpg

That is an awesome Jacket! Thanks for showing. I never knew about these colored nametapes...I will have to be on the lookout now.

Justin

Well, since everyone seems so centered on WW2 stuff, neat '50's vintage things fall through the cracks. It's a shame.

I am told that some USAF misle troops wore red/yellow nametapes too.

BTW -- Armstrong's tanker jacket has POSTWAR QM tags! His HBT coveralls have identical insignia!

• 7 years later...

I have a red name tag that is sewn to the inside of an IKE jacket. The gentleman belonged to a SCARWAF (Special Category Army reassigned with Air Force) Unit and was in France after WW2.

Leigh

• 6 years later...

Here's one, on a 73rd AAA Bn shirt, note that the most common insignia has been stripped off of it, what was a 7th Army patch (Unit was under 7th Army in West Germany in the 50s), the U.S. ARMY Tape, and the Pfc Stripes, but the two rare ones, the Branch Tape and the Pocket Patch were not 583791426_emoticonlaugh.png.9fdc836f29c73f87a2d74a6e8cc213de.png

73rd AAA Bn Germany 2.PNG

73rd AAA Bn Germany.PNG

• 1 month later...

A 1952-53 worn shirt, a M1941 HBT, Armor Branch, there was before a Armored Triangle there but removed and the Branch Tape sewn there, perhaps reassigned?

barnch colored.PNG

barnch colored 2.PNG

One more, this for the 322nd Tank Battalion in Germany, worn around 1954. this unit we guess wore their Triangle over the NAME Tape for whatever reason, the U.S. ARMY Tape striped? The name interestingly on the tape has been Ink Stamped.

The 322nd Tank Battalion (Heavy) was of the Georgia National Guard and was Federalized because of Korea, and after a bit set to Germanyy, it was equipt with the M103 Heavy Tank, with the 120mm Main Gun.

322a.PNG

322.PNG

M103_Heavy_Tank.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A Military Police Colored Branch Tape, on an M51 Field Jacket, the jacket was stripped of all the other insignia save for this unique and rare piece of insignia, the Colored NAME Tape, go figure LOL.

tmp_tape.jpg

tmp_tapen.jpg

MP Tape.jpg

MP tapen.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Now here's a cool one, a West German  BeVo one, it's on a 50s 2nd Armd Div shirt, but this is the only photo left on this long ago sold item.

bevo.PNG

• 1 month later...

A late-sh 50s worn private purchase Tanker Jacket of an unknown 8th Army Troop Unit, a Engineer Unit by virtue of the Red with White lettering Branch NAME Tape, Surname and Hangul underneath it.

enginner.jpg.6f0c30b410dccc6750b6902c570d0c08.jpg1647905059_enginnerc.jpg.d7e3708af3a4e9e20f7e8d11d02c9706.jpg

Found this one, long-forgotten. 663rd FA Bn inactivated on Okinawa in 1954. Two for one - cloth name tape, metal name badge. Actual DI has a motto KEY TO VICTORY

663rd FA Bn name tape Okinawa.jpg

One more unknown 8th Army Troop unit, this time with Yellow lettering, maybe Non Divisional Arty or AAA, but these units were generally Corps Troops so perhaps this guy was Ordnance. Once again we see a U.S. ARMY Tape stripped but leaving the rare insignia behind LOL.

tape.PNGtapes.PNG