Philippine American War Uniform question

I hate to be the one posing this type of question but here it is. I am looking for information on what type of trousers were worn by our forces in the Philippine American War ( mainly the 28th U.S. Volunteers). Were they still wearing the 1885 blue trousers or were 1898 kaki trousers in use.

I have not been able to come up with concrete proof and I know that you good folks have forgotten more about uniforms then I'll ever know. My interest in this is because my G.G. Grandfather was in that regiment over there.

Also someday when I get my own room in my house I'll post pics of my humble collection!!

Thanks

Bill

I hate to be the one posing this type of question but here it is. I am looking for information on what type of trousers were worn by our forces in the Philippine American War ( mainly the 28th U.S. Volunteers). Were they still wearing the 1885 blue trousers or were 1898 kaki trousers in use.

I have not been able to come up with concrete proof and I know that you good folks have forgotten more about uniforms then I'll ever know. My interest in this is because my G.G. Grandfather was in that regiment over there.

Also someday when I get my own room in my house I'll post pics of my humble collection!!

Thanks

Bill

I would say both were still in use but the hot climate of the Philippines probably determined that khaki's were predominant. I have photographs of that era and the men are dressed in both, however most of the photos are studio shots which is a lot different from running around in the jungle. There is a website covering the Spanish American War and subsequent Philippine War and you may be able to view photos there and also find info on the 28th. Good luck.

Keith

Thanks for the response. I have been on a few sties with many photos but like you said both were being used.

Bill Fean

Hello,

There's also a good chance they had switched over the M1899 pattern. I have the uniform of an officer who served in the Philippines for a brief period, he has the M1898 pattern tunic (I believe he had it rebadged to his original unit later, but he was with a USV formation) but wore it with M1899 pattern trousers.

~TS

TS

Thanks for the response.

Looking at the black & white pictures, it is difficult (for me) to tell what trousers are being worn. I do not think the Blue wools were around all that long. Maybe when a unit first got over, but that jungle & sawgrass would have been hell.

It seems to me that this era was the transition between the two types of trousers so both would have been around, it's just I am wondering what would have been prevalent.

Heck, some of the units still had the trap-door Springfield's.

Bill Fean

• 2 weeks later...
New Romantic

This may be of some interest concerning wool uniforms worn in the Philippines-

About a year ago Bay State Militaria had a 1900 dated wool fatigue blouse which had a Philippine pattern stitching done inside the liner. I'm assuming the coat would have been worn during more cooler temperatures. Perhaps at night while on guard? I wish I saved a photo of the coat.

Frankie

Thanks for the info. I have no concrete proof, but my best guess is I think they ( early war) went over in the wool but when the kaki's came available, they got them. The jungle must have torn their clothes to shreds. My GG Grandfather was there from 1899 to 1901. I personally do not think they wore the wool fatigue blouses except for formal duties. I think they wore the 1883 Blue campaign shirt with first the blue wool trousers then recieved the kaki's when the wool gave out.

Some good feedback coming!!!

Bill Fean

New Romantic
Frankie

Thanks for the info. I have no concrete proof, but my best guess is I think they ( early war) went over in the wool but when the kaki's came available, they got them. The jungle must have torn their clothes to shreds. My GG Grandfather was there from 1899 to 1901. I personally do not think they wore the wool fatigue blouses except for formal duties. I think they wore the 1883 Blue campaign shirt with first the blue wool trousers then recieved the kaki's when the wool gave out.

Some good feedback coming!!!

Bill Fean

From what I've seen and read the first troops sent to the Philippines in 1898 wore the wool uniform but as hostilities ended the khaki uniforms began to trickle into the supply chain. It would be nice to find out in 1899 if your GG Grandfather was issued khakis in the states prior to arriving in the Philippines, or he received them there.

If you're planning to put together a display, say circa 1900/ 1901 it may be safe to assume that khaki trousers would have been the norm by then. I can't remember which year the khaki shirts came out. Is it 1902? The blue flannel shirts were worn through the first decade of the 20th century and I have a photo circa 1908 with soldiers wearing it.