WWII leather sewing kit box

OD MAN

I got this while on vacation in Northern Wisconsin. I have never seen one like this before, its in a "genuine leather" box with the Armed Forces symbol. Inside of it was a small 1941 calender and a 1944 Mercury dime! It has tons of spare buttons, and even Navy colored string.

339k0t4.jpg

ngvgxv.jpg

24nleg9.jpg

mrr49e.jpg

It is a WWII sewing kit but not necessarily for an officer. These fancy kits were usually gifts form family and it just depended on how much money they could or were willing to spend on it. Soldiers usually bought the small simple ones because they were more practical.

I agree.Normally a PX or private purchase item.I have a couple in various materials all rigid box type.

Nice quality variation.

RD

Fixbayonets!

That is a very nice kit you have. I can't read the company name on your kit, is it made by Belding Corticelli? I have a kit very similar to yours made by this company. It is still in the original cardboard box marked military kit no. 2. This leads me to believe that this company must have made a military kit no. 1 and possibly others in different sizes or with different contents.

Rob

post-168-1249010237.jpg

I can't make out what it says, sorry.

Thanks for showing your sewing kit, and for the link forum support.

Cool thanks for the info, Doyler could you post some photos of similar kits? I would be interested.

OD,

The ones I have are like the post numbers 5 and 6.Same company made them.Mine has a long winged eagle/bird that alomost looks Italian.But it a US kit.

RD

OD,

The ones I have are like the post numbers 5 and 6.Same company made them.Mine has a long winged eagle/bird that alomost looks Italian.But it a US kit.

RD

Ok cool, thanks.