Help in getting rid of uniform storage odor!

wdphll

Hey guys, I have picked up a few trunk groupings lately and the odor on the uniforms and hats is overwhelming...according to my wife anyway..

Does anyone know of a good way to cut down or kill the odor without dry cleaning?

Thanks for any help!

Wade

CNY Militaria

I sometimes get uniforms with moth ball odors, and I generally hang them up in my basement near the dehumidifier for a few days, and the smell goes away for the most part. I believe I have heard that steaming it will work as wel, but I have never tried it.

Justin

Hey guys, I have picked up a few trunk groupings lately and the odor on the uniforms and hats is overwhelming...according to my wife anyway..

Wade-

I'm lucky in that I've just gotten the rolled eyes from my wife, but given that I'm new to WW1 collecting this is the first time I've had to deal with bad moth ball and storage odor!

I've found though that if I air everything out in my office, keep the air circulating (with the help of the ceiling fan) keep the window open and use copious amounts of fabreeze (not on the uniforms, just in the air) the smell has dissapated greatly. Of course, maybe I've just gotten used to it too....... w00t.gif

Another way to get rid of the odor would be to sell your trunk groupings to me. A great fix for your wife, and more rolled eyes from mine.... :lol:

Dave

use copious amounts of fabreeze (not on the uniforms, just in the air) the smell has dissapated greatly. Of course, maybe I've just gotten used to it too....... w00t.gif

Another way to get rid of the odor would be to sell your trunk groupings to me. A great fix for your wife, and more rolled eyes from mine.... :lol:

Dave

I've used fabreeze directly on uniforms of all fabrics and vintages and had no problems at all.

I've used fabreeze directly on uniforms of all fabrics and vintages and had no problems at all.

I'll second that, Fabreeze does wonders. But if you're afraid of doing that, hang it up in the open for a day or two.

Adam

Thanks guys for all your input, I am trying the open circulating air right now and wondered about the febreeze. Glad someone has tried it and it works, going to get a bottle right now.

Anyone want a new wife?? naughty.giflaughing1.gif

Thanks again !!

All.

I've found that hanging my AEF tunics outisde on a nice day does wonders. My wife not only rolls her eyes, but also says it stinks down here in the club basement! Having been married for a long time, I just pretend like I can't hear! LOL I was recently told not to bring any more AEF tunics into the house (There are around 100), so I'm thinking about starting on WW2 US. Technically, these aren't AEF tunics right? LOL

John

Honesty I have had more smell problems with WW2 uniforms then any WW1 uniforms I have purchased. And by the way a day out in the sun and wind and some "meadows and rain" Febreze and the smell is almost gone.

Again thanks guys for all your input!

Wade

4STARCHRIS

Here in Texas where the humidity would kill it worse than the stinch.... a good ole cedar chest than alittle box of baking soda like you would for the frige. thumbsup.gif