Questionable NS Meyer balloon wings

StevenL

These wings are being sold as part of a grouping which I have a feeling is a put together. I don't know a lick about wings, so I'm curious if I'm right. I think they look like a fake. What do the wing collectors think? These are the only photos they posted of the wings.

wing1.jpg

wing2.jpg

From the pictures, they look like an older Meyer restrike to me. The pin does not have the "lobe" or cam I associate with an older wing and both hallmarks are stamped. While this doesn't always mean they are are bad, I personally, don't like them. Just my opinion.

Paul

:think:

Personally, I would run from this as fast as possible. At first glance the Meyer backmark would appear to be correct for the 1920s, early 1930's era; however, if compared to a number of real biographical airship wing badges made by them during that period, it should be smaller and thinner. The backmark should also be stamped horizontally to the right of the airship envelope. Another clue is the careless placement of the pin and locking device. They appear to be off center to the far left of the badge. It is very doubtful that Meyer would have never released a badge with such poor workmanship. BTW, the Balloon and Airship school closed in 1928.

For the protection of all members of this forum, who is selling the grouping?? :ermm:

-cp

It was being sold on ebay but now I can't even find the listing. It looks like it was completely removed from their database. Thanks for the comments. I'm at work now so I can't see the photos but I thought that (what I'm guessing is the hallmark) was a casting flaw because of the poor photo quality. At least I was partially right in that it's likely no good.

The grouping also had a set of aerial gunner wings and a WW2 dog tag with the story that the guy was wounded while flying in Europe and sent back to the US where he joined a balloon unit patrolling for submarines. :rolleyes:

Cliff,

Was that pin-hinge combo ever used on this era wing ? I always thought Meyer used the lobed back pin on their early stuff.

Paul

Paul,

I don't have a good camera so I had to place a ligitimate biographical badge on a scanner. Even so, the close-up details for the pin-hinge locking device came out sharp enough to compare the two yourself.

Hope this helps. :-)

Cliff

post-4542-1248972698.jpg

John Cooper

I agree with Cliff based not only on the fittings not being correct when compared to a Meyer from about the same era but also on the fact I bought a restrike just to study it... the sellr was honest and sold it as a restrike. The badge itself has an odd feel to it that I can not explain but when holding a real wing you can feel the difference.

John

Paul,

I don't have a good camera so I had to place a ligitimate biographical badge on a scanner. Even so, the close-up details for the pin-hinge locking device came out sharp enough to compare the two yourself.

Hope this helps. :-)

Cliff

hi its dumb question time what does this mean i have never heard this term before ( biographical badge ) thanks brian

hi what does this mean i have never heard this term before ( biographical badge ) thanks brian

Brian,

Generally, it means when a badge was obtained directly from the original owner ... or a member of his immediate family.

-cp