MK II Grenade, Early with short spoon.

Alright, ordnance experts, tell me what you know about this grenade. I don't know anything about ordnance, so I can't even guess what time period I am looking at here. Found this in a green metal tin at a local junk shop. It's been deactivated, obviously, and is in nice condition.

post-5108-1248918948.jpg

I'm looking at that website you linked, and I'm wondering how I can tell what type of MKII grenade it is? Aside from color, they all look the same to me. :huh:

I am not a grenade expert, but here goes:

It looks to me like a standard WWII Mk. II grenade. There is probably a big hole in the bottom that is not threaded or anything. This makes it a practice grenade. If the bottom is closed (no hole) it COULD be a live grenade that has had the charge removed, or a practice grenade that has had the hole closed somehow.

The reason I say it is a WWII grenade is because of the fuse assembly. If you look at the "spoon," it comes up the side of the grenade, over the top of the fuze, and then doubles back under the front lip of the fuze. The later fuzes had two little fingers that branched off from the spoon at the top of the fuze and went under two little studs that were part of the fuze. That type of fuze is shown later on the page as a Mk. II practice grenade.

If there are markings on the grenade body or fuze, you should show those as it will help a more knowledgeable collector help positively identify what you have.

If you want to make it look like a live grenade, it should be painted olive green with a yellow stripe around the very top where the fuze screws in.

Do a google search, too. There is lots of info out there on grenades.

Abby,

appears a earlier version as the handle/spoon on the fuze is short(er) than a later MK2 from WW2.You may hve to use the numbers off the fuze to get a better idea.Course it may have a different fuze assembley than it came with originally.Is the bottom solid or is there a threaded plug in the base?

There is another link on the forum to body styles and types of MK2s.

RON

I didn't get a chance to post the other photos I have of it because we only have dialup at home (we live in the sticks! Amish neighbors and all!), but here are the other pictures I have of it. I'm where I can get on free wireless right now, so here you go. There are no markings anywhere that I can find - and trust me, I looked.

post-5108-1248983205.jpg

That's a 1918 to pre-WW2 MKII fragmentation grenade. Lead filling plug, short spoon, gray paint.

That's a 1918 to pre-WW2 MKII fragmentation grenade. Lead filling plug, short spoon, gray paint.

Seconded, pre/early WWII

Dirt Detective

Hi Abby,

Nice find..congrats. Here is a site with a little more info http://www.inert-ord.net/usa03a/usa2/index.html Dont repaint leave as is..painting will only lower its value. If you want an original WWII OD with the yellow around the neck..im sure you could trade easy for it..heck..I have an original I would trade for it. ;) Rgds, Mike

Thanks so much for the information, it's very helpful. Ordnance isn't something I know much about since it's so far outside what I collect, so it's nice to have this forum as a resource.

I found this at a local "antiques" shop, which is more of a junk shop with stuff found in garages and estate lot sales around the area. It was in a green metal tin, which is what I noticed behind the counter and asked the lady running the shop about. She went, "Oh, you won't believe what's in that!" and pulled out the grenade. Given that this was the same shop where I bought an M43 jacket for $5 because it was, to them, an old Army thing, I figured the price would probably be good. It was. $8 for the box it was in and the grenade.

Does anyone know an approximate value for a grenade like this, if I were to sell it?

Thanks so much for the information, it's very helpful. Ordnance isn't something I know much about since it's so far outside what I collect, so it's nice to have this forum as a resource.

I found this at a local "antiques" shop, which is more of a junk shop with stuff found in garages and estate lot sales around the area. It was in a green metal tin, which is what I noticed behind the counter and asked the lady running the shop about. She went, "Oh, you won't believe what's in that!" and pulled out the grenade. Given that this was the same shop where I bought an M43 jacket for $5 because it was, to them, an old Army thing, I figured the price would probably be good. It was. $8 for the box it was in and the grenade.

Does anyone know an approximate value for a grenade like this, if I were to sell it?

Abby

I saw one at a show last weekend.Had short fuze handle,slotted plug in bottom.Was painted OD w/yellow ring.May have been done during the war but was hard to tell.Looked good to me as the yellow appeared to be under the OD paint opposed to the ones repoed where the person will paint a thin yellow ring around the top after the od is painted on.Had cardboard container marked FRAG.Dealer was asking $175 and was unsold when I left.

Hope this helps

RON

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.