Allied Orders of the G.A.R. --- Chicago 1900

KevinBeyer

Hello, All,

As I live in the Chicagoland area I have been trying to put together a complete set of reunion badges from the G.A.R. National Encampment that was held in Chicago, Illinois, at the turn of the previous century. A complete set, that is, of the Allied Orders of the G.A.R.

The Allied Orders were all of the subsidiary groups associate with the Civil War Veterans. These groups consisted of the Women's Relief Corps, The Ladies of the G.A.R., the Sons of Veterans, the Daughters of Veterans, and the Auxiliary to the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War.

Below is a picture showing the badge for the WRC, The Ladies of EX-POWs, the Daughters of Veterans, and a souvenir badge. All are from the Chicago, Illinois, National Encampment held in 1900. I have a Sons of Veterans badge coming in the mail. I am still seeking an L.G.A.R. and an A.S.U.V.C.W. badge to complete the set.

1900_Chicago.jpg

From all that I have read, the Ladies of EX-POWs is not considered one of the Allied Orders of the G.A.R.. My guess is that there is currently not enough information known about the group and that they would be included if more information about them is brought to light. (Does anyone know anything about this group?)

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...
KevinBeyer

As mentioned above, I did receive my Sons of Veterans Chicago 1900 reunion badge. It is surprisingly un-ornate in light of its companions. Perhaps they thought that simplicity was the key here.

SOV1900Chicago.jpg

Also included with the SOV badge was this souvenir pin from the same National Encampment. Is anyone familiar with other souvenirs like this one?

Souvenir1900Chicago.jpg

Kevin

• 1 year later...

I have managed to obtain an example of an actual G.A.R. National Encampment badge from the Chicago 1900 reunion. I never thought that I would be able to afford one. But, the opportunity presented itself and it was too good to pass up.

This badge is spectacular in its size and weight. It is much larger than its Allied Order counterparts. The pendant is of multi-part construction. It is enameled and retains a lot of its luster. There is damage to the upper part of the A and it appears to have been filled in with some manner of paint. But, that doesn't detract from its overall appearance.

The reverse is marked S.D. Childs & Co./ENGRAVERS/Chicago, Ill.

GAR1900Chicago5.jpg

Kevin

I tried to get a close up image of the pendant, but I had problems with the lighting. This was good as I could get.

GAR1900Chicago5Close.jpg

Kevin

• 1 year later...

It has been more than a year since I have obtained anything new for my Chicago 1900 G.A.R. collection. I just recently obtained a Ladies of the G.A.R. reunion badge for the National Encampment.

It has been observed that the ribbon might be a replacement as normally the reunion badges are hung from a yellow ribbon. Looking at the other reunion badges I have from this event, I actually surmise that a Red/White/Blue ribbon was purposefully chosen for these badges. My guess is that in order to commemorate the turn of the century, a change in ribbon color was approved. The two groups that didn't do this were the Sons of Union Veterans (their badge had no ribbon) and the Womens Relief Corps (theirs matched the G.A.R. medal's yellow ribbon).

GAR1900ChicagoLGAR2.jpg

I am still looking for an Auxiliary to the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War badge from this event. If you have one for sale, please let me know!

Kevin

• 1 month later...

I have purchased a pretty uncommon reunion badge for the Chicago 1900 National Encampment of the G.A.R. I do not have statistics on attendees, but of the people in attendance, there could not be many who were also members of the Union Ex-Prisoners of War. Below is an image of what their reunion badge looks like. (I have also added a picture of their auxiliary badge side-by-side.)

GAR1900ChicagoUnionExPOW_600.jpgGAR1900ChicagoLadiesUnionExPOW_600.jpg

In order to complete my collection, I am still looking for a membership badge for the Auxiliary to the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War.

Kevin

The GAR badge is beautiful. I have two old lapel buttons by Childs (neither is military or veteran related). Is there a maker's mark on the Ex-POW badge?

Pete

Just like the G.A.R. Delegate badge, the Union Ex-POW badge and the Ladies of Ex-POWs have a back mark which reads:

S.D. Childs & Co./ENGRAVERS/Chicago, Ill.

GAR1900ChicagoUnionExPOWmakermark.jpgGAR1900ChicagoLadiesUnionExPOWmakersmark.jpg

Kevin

• 10 months later...

Recently for sale on eBay was this fantastic souvenir ribbon for the 34th National Encampment of the G.A.R.. I cannot get over the detail in the embroidering. The eagle is magnificent as is the whole G.A.R. badge. Unfortunately a previous owner had glued this ribbon (probably inside of a scrap book, or to a piece of fabric) and there are two, large glue streaks running across its back. Other than that, it is in impeccable condition. I just wanted to share this latest addition with everyone.

Chicago1900_Ribbon_small.jpg

From all that I have read, the Ladies of EX-POWs is not considered one of the Allied Orders of the G.A.R.. My guess is that there is currently not enough information known about the group and that they would be included if more information about them is brought to light. (Does anyone know anything about this group?)

Kevin

I don't know anything about the Ladies of Ex-POWs but only the GAR could designate an organization as an Allied Order. That opportunity ended with the dissolution of the GAR upon the death of its last member in the 1950's. Before its demise the GAR designated the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil war as its legal heir and successor. That designation did not include the authority to name any further Allied Order.

Jim

• 1 year later...

I have added another piece to this small collection of mine. It is an official invitation to the event issued by the G.A.R.'s Department of Illinois. The print quality on the graphic is unlike anything that I have seen before for an even such as this.

Chicago1900_Invitation_1000.jpg

You have some outstanding pieces in your collection.

It’s a shame that the quality of products have deteriorated over the years. You won’t find quality items like this today, membership badges or otherwise.

Brent