Nam Webgear

Lucky 7th Armored

Lucky 7th Armored

I have recently started to collect Vietnam items, right now i want to get a complete m1956 setup.

Things I have:

First pattern h suspenders dated 1960

Belt and canteen cover dated 1960

One small arms pouch date is smudged

Things i know i need:

More small arms pouches

Canteen

Buttpack

compass/FA pouch

shovel+cover

basic infantry helmet(maybe some insect repellent to go inside of the band?)

What else do i need to have to achieve an original look(like all the small things ect.) The pictures i havent posted before besides the suspenders so you can comment on the items as well.

Thanks,

Haydn

Some pictures to keep the people who only like pictures busy ;)

Pictures of the M-1956 stuff i have:

Suspenders Dated Aug1960

post-5136-1248903720.jpg

There really is no generic Vietnam look. Men in different units at different times during the war carried and wore their gear very different ways. If you want a Vietnam look, pick a unit and time period and look at as many pictures as possible.

Lucky 7th Armored

Found this at Goodwill for 4 dollars, belt and canteen cover are mint, <--dont use that word too often! haha

post-5136-1248903796.jpg

post-5136-1248903855.jpg

Lucky 7th Armored

Salty small arms pouch, got it at WWII weekend it was left out in the rain, got it for $3

post-5136-1248903941.jpg

Lucky 7th Armored
There really is no generic Vietnam look. Men in different units at different times during the war carried and wore their gear very different ways. If you want a Vietnam look, pick a unit and time period and look at as many pictures as possible.

Alright, i was thinking about that, but i just started on Vietnam, so im not sure what im really looking at if i was looking at photos. I looked at some displays on the forum, and there werent a whole lot. I will probably base mine off of someones from the forum. As some of you know i just won that captains airborne helmet on ebay, would the airborne wear m-1956 since the airborne is attached to the army?

Thanks for bearing with my noobish questions,

Haydn

Basic is small arms pouch, canteen, butt pack, canteen, small arms pouch. Most men carried more canteens and buttpack was a item often not used.

You're pistol belt is also post Nam.

US Army airborne and infantry in Vietnam for the most part used all the same gear.

Very early in the war, when the first US Army units arrived in Vietnam in 1965, they wore the M56 gear most closely to the way the Army originally designed (which was basicly 1 buttpack, 1 canteen cover, 2 small arms ammo pouches, suspenders, E-tool, and first aid pouch). So going for that type of era look would probably be easiest and cheapest to put together. I suggest watching some videos from that era and looking at pictures. Around this time soldiers quickly added more canteens, strapped gear such as ponchos to the outside of the tiny buttpacks and things like that but you didnt often see the heavily packed rucks with gear hanging all over yet, which is expensive to make a display for.

The pistol belt looks like a post-war non-US issue.

Lucky 7th Armored

Found this pic on ebay

So pretty much this is what i should be looking for.

post-5136-1248909098.jpg

And then fatigues

Found this pic on ebay

So pretty much this is what i should be looking for.

post-5136-1248909098.jpg

And then fatigues

Yes, that's pretty basic, I would use 2 canteens and not carry a shovel on the gear and add a bayonet.

Heres a basic/simple setup that would of been used early war (1965/66), is cheap to put together and is 100% correct:

1 - suspenders

1 - pistol belt (preferably horizontal weave)

2 or 3 - canteen covers (no nylon trim)

2 or 3 - small arms ammo pouches

1 - buttpack (m56 or m61; m56 more common but m61s were more sought after and popular)

1 - e-tool (optional; most often attached to side of pistol belt or on buttpack)

1 or 2 - first aid packets (preferably 1st pattern)

extra items to add for looks:

heavy duty poncho strapped to the top or bottom of buttpack

grenades (painted and correct fuze MKII or M26) strapped to ammo pouches

smoke grenade (correct can type with recessed top and bottom)

M7 (M16) or M6 (M14) bayonet (strapped onto e-tool cover, buttpack, or belt; back then airborne units were using the XM16E1 and infantry M14)

And the uniforms:

1st or 2nd pattern OG-107 cotton sateen utility uniform or 1st or 2nd pattern jungle fatigues (many were patched early on)

stitched sole leather combat boots or early jungle boots

helmet (preferable pre-64 style liner with short flap mitchell cover; infantry helmet for infantry, airborne for airborne; please no graffitti)

And heres two pictures of the time that I have handy. They are from official US Army videos of the time. (I highly reccomend you find and watch them). They sell those old videos on DVDs now for cheap but the quality sometimes sucks.)

guy on bottom is 101st ABN Div. top is 1st Infantry Div.

VIDEO_TStitle2ch0frame3588.jpg

VIDEO_TStitle0ch15frame188903.jpg

VIDEO_TStitle2ch0frame3588.jpg

I used to have a 1st patt jacket just like that!!! I really miss it and regret selling it!, I did bring me in $250 on ebay a few years ago thought, but I'd still rather have it :crying:

I think the hardest item for you find would be 1st or 2ed pattern jacket and trousers

Ebay is tricky. I picked up a never-patched 1st patt (med-reg) coat on ebay for $25 once. The only issue was it has a small L shaped tear in one arm. If you watch ebay you may be able to find another one cheap. Ive picked up a mint (small-long) 2nd patt coat for $20 on ebay. 2nd Patt trousers for $20 (med-reg). Poplin ERDL trousers for $11. The trick is look at pictures closely. A lot of people just go by description.

Ebay is tricky. I picked up a never-patched 1st patt (med-reg) coat on ebay for $25 once. The only issue was it has a small L shaped tear in one arm. If you watch ebay you may be able to find another one cheap.

Yes it is, I picked up a Vietnam m3 medic bag for $19.99 (Only bidder) and I've seen them sell for $150.00 plus.

Lucky 7th Armored

Thanks DiGilio for that detailed response! Ill try and get started and try and find those videos, turns out i have the m-6 bayonet then for the m14, never knew that.

Thanks,

Haydn

its a stamp added by an Army central issue facility or CIF so that once the pack or any other item of equipment is sold as surplus ,it cannot be turned in by a soldier to get a new item in its place....vince g. 11b inf...

this would be a correct ealry war set,alum.canteen (65)...and it would be corect with a M-43 E -tool or a M-51 E-Tool...enjoy and ask your questiones my Spanish friend....vince gon...11b inf..

Wow.. over $200.... :blink::huh: :fear:

Yeppers.. :D Kinda spooked me at how fast it went up as I had put the high around 125.00 or so, just goes to show what a good description can yield. ;) I was just trying to help Haydn with what a complete set would look like to help him put one together..

craig_pickrall

I am curious if you get any complaints from buyer because of including photos of items that are not part of the sell. I can see where that could cause problems, especially when dealing with people overseas that are not totally fluent in English. Has that caused any problems?