M43, MQ1, M50 & M51 Field Jackets & Trousers

Bob Hudson

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

WOW...having never been without at least 1 M43 since I was 9 or 10 years old (ordered my first from Kaufman's in N.Y.C. around '60 or '61), I can't express my appreciation for all the photos and info on this thread. :thumbsup:

Greg, ya got me upset; had one of those satin-lined Liners years ago and sold it, thinking it was post-War. I just learned today from your pics that it may not have been... :mad:

Here is the top-of-the-line of the 4 '43s in the pile, dated Nov. 1943; this one has the same thin plastic bottons as the Reversible Overcoats and the early Parka-Coats instead of the later-approved Bakelites, and has embroidered Lieutenant's bars on each epaulette...

post-3226-1255815305.jpg

Here are the plastic buttons compared to the normally-seen buttons; oddly enough, the other Jacket is also dated Nov. '43...

post-3226-1255815525.jpg

Plastic button Jacket at left (from Manion's):

JACKETS, FIELD, M-1943

Size 40 L

ALBERT TURNER & CO.

Purchase Order #4372

Dated Nov. 15, 1943

Tent. Spec. P.Q.D. #370 C

Dated Oct. 11, 1943

Stock No. 55-J 191-85

Phila. Q.M. Depot

"Normal" Jacket at right (from trade with East Coast collector Mike Bonelli):

Pattern B

JACKETS, FIELD, M-1943

Stock No. 55-J-192-15

42 R

DE ROSSI & SON CO.

P.O. No. 4360

Dated Nov. 15, 1943

Q.M.C. Tent. Spec.

P.Q.D. No. 370-C

Dated 10/11/43

Phila. Q.M. Depot

• 1 month later...
craig_pickrall

Jim, I think from looking at the first pic that it is button up but I,m not sure about the pocket flaps as they may be snaps. I wonder if this is a test / experimental example? That pouch on the back reminds me of the Mountain Jacket. Interesting no matter what it is.

Roger that, Craig...I'm almost ready to think it's a button Jacket, because there are no worn "nubs" from snaps on the pocket flaps; also, the first thing I likewise thought of was the Mountain Jacket when I saw the pouch. I'm thinking the size tag dates it as well, as all the W.W.II '43s I've seen were sized by chest dimension (34R, 40L, etc.). Maybe experimental clothing was done differently...?

Sure a neat Jacket, whatever it is... :w00t:

thereisnospoon

Sorry for the delayed response...lots been happening around the spoon household.

Happy Thanksgiving, BTW.

The jacket has buttons all around , including the pockets. They are Brown.

Haven't seen anything about the mountain jacket...I'll have to do some searching around.

I am a gear maker amd this looked like a quality piece of .mil stuff, it has been hard to figure out. I am copying the pouch on one of my "Survival" vests...which is why I bought the coat in the first place, but then I became intrigued by it's unusual design.

Thanks for your help.

Spoon

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

Click on Image for Enlarged View

post-34986-0-51087900-1454695650.jpg

Here is among the first issuance of the new M43 FJ and buckle top boots being worn by these 3rd Div Infantrymen at Anzio. Not sure, but the pants look like NON HBT material, they look like the sateen of the FJ, was there experimental pants of this type, like the OD HBT M43s, but it sateen?

Hey Patches, great photo!

I've seen sateen cargo pocket Trousers in photos, maybe once or twice. It seems that Anzio was a combination campaign/proving ground for the

latest experiments in clothing; this shot is a fine example.

Hey Patches, great photo!

I've seen sateen cargo pocket Trousers in photos, maybe once or twice. It seems that Anzio was a combination campaign/proving ground for the

latest experiments in clothing; this shot is a fine example.

Thanks for the confirmation FG, that's what I was seeing here, they just don't seem to have that recognizable HBT texture, which can be usually discerned in photos.

LOL...at this point, I think I'm about done :wacko: with the exception of the Paramarine Trousers and a complete #1 'flage Jump Smock...

Jim

Heres a '43 field jacket I have...actually have two from the same source.Size 42 and both are unworn.

I do have one larger that was worn by a Colonel in the 34th.

post-342-0-36438500-1454818176.jpg

post-342-0-87075600-1454818198.jpg

post-342-0-96705900-1454818210.jpg

GASP.....Ron, items like this cause me to break out the defibrillator...

I've got a trio of unissued '43s, all in big sizes, but they didn't have tags stapled all over them like that.

It's interesting to me that the cutter tags on W.W.II Army stuff has the size and some other numbers, whereas Marine Corps tags

are always dated.

Thanks for posting that screamer!

GASP.....Ron, items like this cause me to break out the defibrillator...

I've got a trio of unissued '43s, all in big sizes, but they didn't have tags stapled all over them like that.

It's interesting to me that the cutter tags on W.W.II Army stuff has the size and some other numbers, whereas Marine Corps tags

are always dated.

Thanks for posting that screamer!

Your welcome...just trying to keep up with the West Coast!!!

I have a real nice size 4 and a minty 43 dated size 34 I picked up back in 77 or 78.Paid crazy money for it($50).Did come with a frieze linerbut was a lot ofmoney back then especialli being a kid :) Just really didnt see them here.The older guys werent parting with stuff.

Have a 43 covered in camo chute material to with zipper and cuffs.Needs a little restoration work.

Have another with a 6th Marine Div patch on it too.

Dont get me goin on the 51s.Have several and found a trunk group with several and 43 and 51 field trousers too.One of the jackets is patched to the 1st Armored.Dont recall if its a 43-50.