Hi guys,

I managed to find this at the W&P Show here in the UK last week. I was first attracted to the tin because of its seemingly uncommon manufacturer (S. F. Ltd) and upon further inspection noted that the pressed markings indicated that it was in fact an M2 Ammunition Box, and not the standard M1. Its construction and dimensions are identical to an M1 version, but I wonder if anyone can provide additional information about this nomenclature?

Did this particular type supersede the M1A1? Or was it foreign made on reverse lend-lease? "Ltd" could perhaps represent an English or Commonwealth country?

post-2299-1248818812.jpg

post-2299-1248818895.jpg

post-2299-1248819147.jpg

Any thoughts welcomed!

Thanks,

Ben.

Nice find! I have seen that M2 box pictured somehere before but can not remember which refrence, might be in a back issue of the GCA journal, so I'll have to do some looking. I have as yet not run across one of these for my own collection, always find the M1 boxes. Hopefully someone with the straight info on them answers shortly!

Semper Fi, Rob

I've spent some time digging......and not having any luck. I know I have at least a pic somewhere showing an M2 marked box. I just can not find it. I did, however while googling find this neat website, but it does not mention the M2 box. Maybe email him some pics of yours and see what he says???

http://browningmgs.com/AmmoCans/T-Chial/AmmoBoxes.htm

Semper Fi, Rob

Thanks Rob,

I'd already visited that site hoping to find more data about the M2. Maybe I'll drop him an email as you suggest. Hopefully he'll be able to reveal some additional data about the piece.

Best regards,

Ben.

• 3 years later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.