USS Tang 1951 Painting

all-bull

Hey guys,

Bought this a long time ago at an auction. It is listed on the back of the frame as being the U.S. Tang, Built in 1951. However, I cannot find any pictures of either Tang vessel looking anything like this. I was hoping maybe some of you could give me your opinion. Thanks!!

post-2063-1248785320.jpg

kriegsmodell

My father in law (now deceased) served on the Tang in the early 1950s. I really don't have anything on the ship but appreciate seeing the painting. Wish I could be of more help ....

Hey guys,

Bought this a long time ago at an auction. It is listed on the back of the frame as being the U.S. Tang, Built in 1951. However, I cannot find any pictures of either Tang vessel looking anything like this. I was hoping maybe some of you could give me your opinion. Thanks!!

All-Bull: That's the second USS Tang (SS563) laid down at New Hampshire Naval Shipyard on 18 April 1949 and commissioned on 25 October 1951. She was classified as a fast attack submarine. In addition to torpedoes she carried forty Mk. 49/57 mines and had an 87-man crew. She earned four battle stars for service in Vietnam waters. During the last half of 1978 her primary mission was training Iranian navy personnel. This comes from American Naval Fighting Ships, vol. VII. drmessimer

Thanks for all the info everyone! But, maybe it's just me, I can't find a picture of the second Tang that looks like this painting? Or do you think it's probably the same and it just looks different because its a hand done painting? Thanks everyone!

WW2 US submarines are a prime interest. So I'm an expert, in my own mind.

The sub in the painting almost looks like an early USN S-boat. Or a British boat from WW2.

It's possible that someone asked for a picture of the second Tang and the artist worked from a generic submarine image or a picture out of a magazine.

Ask the guy at Uboat.net, he'll ID for sure.

WW2 US submarines are a prime interest. So I'm an expert, in my own mind.

The sub in the painting almost looks like an early USN S-boat. Or a British boat from WW2.

It's possible that someone asked for a picture of the second Tang and the artist worked from a generic submarine image or a picture out of a magazine.

Ask the guy at Uboat.net, he'll ID for sure.

I have to agree, the painting doesn't look anything like the photo.

Steve Hesson

Hey guys,

All-bull: I couldn't find a photo of the 2nd Tang (SS 564), but I did find this elevation drawing.

post-6133-1249763408.jpg

drmessimer

Hey guys,

all-bull: here is a photo of her sister, USS Trigger SS 564. The painting has little similarity to either this photo or the elevation drawing in the previous post. My guess is that the person who did the painting either didn't have an eye for perspective or was working from a different example. drmessimer

post-6133-1249764904.jpg