SHREVE WWI PILOT WING

joshypogi

Hello Everyone,

These are my recent WWI wing purchase made by Shreve & Co. My question is why the second wing only has the "sterling" stamp on it even though both wings are made by the same company?

Sincerely,

Jason

post-6682-1248755556.jpg

post-6682-1248755578.jpg

post-6682-1248755591.jpg

post-6682-1248755602.jpg

Hello Jason

I got to say from what I can see, I don't feel the love with either wing. I believe the first one is a cast copy for sure, and have deep doubts about the other. Maybe some higher res pics would help?

Sorry....

Patrick

I was just informed that the top wing is likely the one from Campbell's collection....

Opps, I suspect I just had another Emily Litella moment..."Oh, that is very different. Never mind!"

Like one of the the Righteous Brothers, I guess I am beginning to find that loving feeling again.

Patrick

I was just informed that the top wing is likely the one from Campbell's collection....

Opps, I suspect I just had another Emily Litella moment..."Oh, that is very different. Never mind!"

Like one of the the Righteous Brothers, I guess I am beginning to find that loving feeling again.

Patrick

The first wing came from the Campbell auction with replaced hinge and pin assembly. I doubt that it is fake.

I think fake is a harsh term... the photos posted initially made it hard to see the details as I pointed too in my first post. I quickly realized the replaced fittings after I posted since I held that very same wing in hand. It is easy to make mistakes base on only photos but that is the nature of the beast.

Here is mine for so you can compare and contrast.

shreve1s.jpg

shreve2.jpg

Did you pick up the 2nd wing from the same dealer as the Campbell wing?

John,

Very nice wing!! Thank you for the comments. I got the second wing with WWI lieutenant bars from Mr. Rich Witt and had the provenance from a pilot which is still being researched.

What are your thoughts about the second wing? The pin assembly looks identical to yours.

Jason

John Cooper

Jason,

As I recall Rich has had some very nice itesm for sale on his website. Your wing and mine appear to be the same from the photos with a few differences.

John

Here is a collage of some Shreve marks on other types of silver they made about the same period as the wing. I don't recall seeing marks as bold as these on either Shreve or Tiffany marked wings...draw your own conclusions. :think:

post-3515-1248836461.jpg

THis is one that I picked up a few years ago. Not marked "Shreve", just sterling. Made in three-pieces.

Very nice wing Mr. Patrick, all solid and hefty construction. I am hoping to get a Haltom next.

Jason

THis is one that I picked up a few years ago. Not marked "Shreve", just sterling. Made in three-pieces.

Patrick,

Is that a 2" wide badge?

Cliff

Patrick,

Is that a 2" wide badge?

Cliff

Howdy Cliff,

Nope, it is a full sizer. Likely a bit over 3 inches.

Patrick