50's era US flight helmets

Bebel

Is there anybody who is collecting flight helmets from this period?

Some helmets of my personal collection... Would be happy to see others from this forum members. :thumbsup:

p1a001.jpg

p1b001.jpg

p3001d.jpg

h3002.jpg

parachute001.jpg

OMG! Nice! :bravo:

I would collect them if I could, but I have a hard enough time getting more modern helmets at a price I can afford!

Cheers! :twothumbup:

Syd

Great collection! :thumbsup: I've always wanted to collect those vintage flight helmets, but the prices and a lack of space have conspired to prevent that. I've often thought that I should have started collecting flight helmets years ago and skipped some other stuff I had been collecting. Believe it or not, some of those old P series USAF helmets were still being used in the mid 60's. As an USAF supply troop, I remember taking in some of those and issueing the later HGU series as replacements.

Great stuff.... I hope some other collections of these show up on this thread!

Dear Bebel,

Very nice collection! Especially the P-1 & P-3 flight helmet.

Here is the P-4B from my collection.

Best,

Birdie

P-4B.jpg

Charlie Flick

Bebel:

I was chasing the Jet pilot helmets years ago but drifted off into a different direction. Here are a couple of old pics of several helmets in my collection. (Hmmm. Looks like I need to do a little bit of dusting....)

Regards,

Charlie Flick

flighthelmets003ed.jpg

flighthelmets002.jpg

Thank you for your nice helmet photos. I am happy to see other beautifuls stuffs. Anyone would have for showing a legendary first version of P-1 with black edgeroll or a pre-Toptex Doc Lombard's helmet from the end of the 40's? Complete original H-1 and H-2 are also very scarce. I doubt that I never have one...

All these old USAF and USN helmets represent a part of the US aeronautical history from this period.

I hope that some of you will show other photos of their collection! :rolleyes:

collection010309011.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ciao Gentlemen,

I was hoping you could give me some help. I picked this up today in an antique store. Took a chance. I've been searching the internet, but I cannot find the exact helmet I have. Any help appreciated.

Best Regards, Arditi

[email protected]

post-5913-1250223537.jpg

Ciao Gentlemen,

I was hoping you could give me some help. I picked this up today in an antique store. Took a chance. I've been searching the internet, but I cannot find the exact helmet I have. Any help appreciated.

Best Regards, Arditi

[email protected]

Super looking helmets. Wish I had picked some of those up when they were real easy to find. Now, these things are really hard to find.

Hi Arditi

I think it is not a pilot helmet. Perhaps an old tank crew helmet? Do you see any label or notice?

Would it be possible to see more photos?

Franck

theguiltyone

Great gear folks, beautiful to see.

Nice to see some top dog photography too!

Keep the pics coming if ye can.

marc

• 4 weeks later...

I acquired a grouping that belonged to a US Air Force pilot who served from 1952 to 1973, flying B-26, B-57, B-66, C-130 and C-141 (I have a thread on the whole grouping at http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=54226 ).

The real thrill was opening a cardboard box and finding three vintage USAF helmets (and one leather and one cloth WWII AAF helmet, plus a couple of headsets).

post-214-1252548699.jpg

The USAF helmets are a P-1B with the visor conversion, a DH-5 and an HGU-2/P.

Let's start with the DH-5, which may be very rare based on what I've read. The excellent helmet website at http://www.best-of-flightgear.dk/aph5helm.htm says, "This DH-5-3 helmet was Gentex' bid for a successor to the H-4 helmet but it was a MSA design, the APH-5, that won the competition."

dh1.jpg

dh2.jpg

dh3.jpg

WOW,

Thanks for sharing Babel. I am in the beginnings of collecting USAF - USMC - USN flight gear from the 50's - 70's. I am afraid that a collection of helmets like I see here are going to take me a LONG time to find. Especially at the "eBay price market" these days.

But, I am looking and gaining much wisdom from this web site and hope to find nice helmets like you displayed. Wonderful and GREAT pictures.

I have around 60-75 flight suits and only three helmets so far. and, one of them was mine from the Marine Corps! :rolleyes:

thanks again so much for sharing, gives me much motivation to keep looking!

r/Gunny Dan

You know looking at the "sweat band" I almost don't think this helmet was ever worn flying! Talk about mint.

yes this was General Textiles entry into that competition, from my research of NATC BuAer/NAVAER in the 50's and 60's, (NAVAIR today) the helmet visor was a big No-Go from the test pilots. I have seen pictures of the helmet competition down at the PAX River Museum, I will ask to scan a couple and post them.

I also have seen a picture of this helmet in a helicopter book on the History of HMX-1 over in VA. Before they ran the president everywhere they did quite a bit of testing. I will track that down as well.

this helmet is going to keep me up all night!

AWESOME!

r/Dan

You know looking at the "sweat band" I almost don't think this helmet was ever worn flying! Talk about mint.

yes this was General Textiles entry into that competition, from my research of NATC BuAer/NAVAER in the 50's and 60's, (NAVAIR today) the helmet visor was a big No-Go from the test pilots.

The visor on that DH-5 is a bear to get up. Notice the designation is handwritten on the label and it says "patent pending" which really speaks to the experimental nature of this one.