Load for a Horsa Glider

Plant#4

I believe this is a 6 pounder or a 57mm anti-tank gun in its "shipping cradle" for a Horsa glider. It would certainly not fit in a Waco! If you ever wondered how they secured items for transport, this photo shows it all. Other thoughts are welcome. It looks like a training area or staging area. Note the Horsa in the background with no wings, not needed for training, or not yet assembled, who knows? Enjoy! Dave

post-2156-1248719364.jpg

It is not a 6pdr/57mm as they went into Horsa's and even CG-4's, complete. They just wheeled them in.

This looks to be an air-transportable / stripped down 40mm Bofors gun minus the barrel.

Glider AT units (Divisional AAA/AT Bns) used the BRITISH version, which was the parent of the US M-1 57mm.

It turned out that the US version was inches too wide for the Waco CG-4A and, with the US-standard muzzle brake installed, a bit too long/high.

The US 5tmm went to towed Tank Destroyer units and the AT Companies of non-Abn Inf Regts.

• 4 months later...

I have the A.P.2097-A8B-P.N. manual which is "Pilot's Notes for Horsa I Glider" of 1942. Imagine that at the beginning this glider was not certified to carry field guns. Initially there were two basic load configurations called "A Load" and "B Load". Full names of those configurations were:

- A Load Troop Transport

- B Load Motorcycle Transport

Neither "A" nor "B" could contain a field gun.