How do you tell the difference between a post war

and WWII period Officers visor? Looking to buy

my first one and don't want to get burned. Some

helpful pointers would be appreciated. If the cap looks

basically like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WWII-US-Army-AAF-Offic...1QQcmdZViewItem

is it period???

I understand a small percentage have QM info under the seatband with

the date of manufacture, but this was uncommon.

That I'm aware of, there's no readily apparent differences between those made in August 1945 and those made in September 1945. If you find one with a legit AAF group, it is indicative of pre-1947 manufacture, but otherwise these hats were worn into the early 1950s (until they were phased out for the new style uniform)with no major changes that I'm aware of.

With regard to the one in the auction, it's a very nice one that I'd consider "wartime". Also, it's seller is an upstanding member of this forum (and super nice guy) who might be able to fill you in a bit more on the history of it as well. thumbsup.gif

Dave

How do you tell the difference between a post war

and WWII period Officers visor?

I've never really found a good answer to this question either. However, some of the o.d visors I've seen have a tubular stiffener around the crown, rather than the more common steel band. I've always considered these to be later just because they more closely resemble current officer caps. If anyone has any additional information I'd appreciate it!

Bill

Hey!

Thanks Dave :D This is my cap currently, and it is most certainly of WWII vintage. With Korean war caps, most have stiffners, and like Bill said, are usually of a tubular style. Usually that stiffner is made of a spongy type of material or a very thick cloth material (thin metal strips seemed to have been the norm for stiffners during WWII, except for Luxenberg who did use the thick stiffners). Posted below is a cap that is most certainly Korean War vintage (the eagle was added for pictures).

Like this cap, most Korean era caps had sidebuttons that screwed into the cap (only Luxenberg had that feature during WWII that I'm aware). Additionally, the visors were usually stiffer (also a much darker, sublime brown than the WWII versions) and made of a pleather type material. The interior of most Korean era caps is a giveaway. They usually have a plastic liner (they wouldn't carmelize) and an orange color satin beneath. Finally, the leather sweatband for most Korean era caps generally seems to be thicker, yet less supple and pliable, with the size stamped on the sweatband in black. Of course, these are only my observations and I'm sure is not true of every Korean era cap. Again, the cap below is Korean era, and has all of the features I've discussed. Hope this helps!

Beau

post-88-1177704642.jpg

post-88-1177704653.jpg

post-88-1177704665.jpg

I appreciate all the responses. I've learned so much tonight.

Beau: Thanks for the explanation!! I really like the visor you have on Ebay!!

I'm seriously considering bidding!! Been looking for a nice one lately!

• 10 years later...

The interior of most Korean era caps is a giveaway. They usually have a plastic liner (they wouldn't carmelize) and an orange color satin beneath.

Beau

Hi guys,

I bump the topic because I am searching for further study more specific informations about materials used during ww2 in caps, uniforms, insignias, equipments....

Ww2 us military caps has this yellowish synthetic material inside which become orange, carmelized over time, after ~1947 this material became stable until today.

So do you have any idea of this component, a new resin discovered in 40's ?

I found "Telite" for bayonet and knife scabbard, but nothing about dress caps interior...

Any original document/ archive from manufacturers or Qmc will be appreciated ;)

Regards,

Paddy