M5/M9 Halftrack???

Dubar1

From what I can tell, the M5 and M9 halftracks were made by International Harvester whereas the M3 was made by White.

I've seen photos of M5s and M9s with U.S. markings, but all the data I've found says they were given to other countries as part of the Lend-Lease program.

Is there any evidence they were supplied to G.I.s as well or well all of them Lend-Lease? The photos in the book (Squadron #34) I have may be production models only and not "in the field"

Thanks,

Bob

Is there any evidence they were supplied to G.I.s as well or well all of them Lend-Lease? The photos in the book (Squadron #34) I have may be production models only and not "in the field"

Thanks,

Bob

Bob,

The U.S. designation for the M5/M9 was G-147. They have welded bodies rather than the bolted bodies of the G-102 tracks and were powered by the 451-cid International RED-450-B engines rather than the White 160AX. Also built on the this platform was the M14 and M17 Multiple Gun Motor Carriages.

The short answer to your question is, "yes, even though the G147 vehicles were designated for lend-lease, some did end up in the service of U.S. troops.

A good, all-around military vehicle resource is David Doyle's Standard Catalog of U.S. Military Vehicles, 2nd Edition.

Hope this helps,

John A-G

Editor, Military Vehicles Magazine

www.militaryvehiclesmagazine.com

John,

Thanks for the quick response!

I'll keep looking to see if I can pin down any units that received them.

Bob