CBI Ribbon bar - what is the first ribbon?

DZR

"British Burma Star" - thank you! Is this is out of order of precedence for a US serviceman, or is this correct?

ItemCo16527

It is out of precedence, and in fact, shouldn't even be worn by US personnel. None of the British service medals were authorized to be awarded to Americans unless they had served in the British Forces in a specified theater of war for the prescribed time periods. This is probably self-awarded.

The only Americans who were authorized British service stars without having served in the British Forces were Dwight Eisenhower, who received the Africa Star with First and Eighth Army clasps and Joseph Stilwell, who received the Burma Star. These were purely honorary awards for their outstanding services in Africa and Burma.

It is out of precedence, and in fact, shouldn't even be worn by US personnel. None of the British service medals were authorized to be awarded to Americans unless they had served in the British Forces in a specified theater of war for the prescribed time periods. This is probably self-awarded.

The only Americans who were authorized British service stars without having served in the British Forces were Dwight Eisenhower, who received the Africa Star with First and Eighth Army clasps and Joseph Stilwell, who received the Burma Star. These were purely honorary awards for their outstanding services in Africa and Burma.

Actually, I think it is the Burma Star being worn as the China Service Commemorative medal ribbon.....

-Ski

post-3043-1248730763.jpg

ItemCo16527

That's a good theory. I'd imagine certain ribbons were pretty hard to come by, so the soldier in question probably just made do with what was available. I wonder what the significance of the star on the ribbon is, though. If it denotes combat service, why no battle stars on his A&P ribbon? Or could it just mean he was overseas on VJ DAY? :think:

Actually, I think it is the Burma Star being worn as the China Service Commemorative medal ribbon.....

-Ski

The ribbon in your image is in fact for the Queen's South Africa Medal from the Victorian Era; for some reason it shows up in Asiatic-Pacific ribbon racks. It must be confused with some Chinese ribbon but I think that the China Service Commemorative Medal ribbon is a recent creation.

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:8PbW6...lient=firefox-a

The ribbon in your image is in fact for the Queen's South Africa Medal from the Victorian Era; for some reason it shows up in Asiatic-Pacific ribbon racks. It must be confused with some Chinese ribbon but I think that the China Service Commemorative Medal ribbon is a recent creation.

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:8PbW6...lient=firefox-a

It's close, but I don't think it is the Queen's SA ribbon. You can see that a British ribbon is considerably narrower than a US one. In this photo, it shows the difference.

-Ski

post-3043-1248962896.jpg