Red Spacer USMC KA-BAR

Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

When the 1219c2 pattern knife first went into production it was Union Cutlery which made the first knives. They were essentially hand made pieces made the same way things had been done with that company's commercial production during peacetime. The early govt specs called for blued blades so Union Cutlery made them with a high gloss commercial quality bluing. The pommels were specified to be snag free so Union Cutlery welded the pommels in place and then ground them smooth. Handles were specificed to have spacers so they added a red spacer at the guard and a red/black/red series of spacers at the pommel. The spec called for a blunt tipped blade so that's how they ground them. They also had leather washer handles that were hand formed and had a very attractive oval shape to them. The guards were thinner and longer than on later wartime production and the pommels were thinner than on later versions. The sheath was a lightweight leather with small headed domed rivits.

Union Cutlery's tradename "KA-BAR" became legendary as the name by which all knives of this pattern, regardless of actual maker, were referred to by Marines.

This example is an early production piece although a bit "salty" in condition. You can still see bluing under the corrosion and the leather of the sheath is very dry but you can still make out the man's name and his various stopping points as he toured the Pacific. It ain't mint but it's undeniably original and right.

post-4-1163840651.jpg

post-4-1163840742.jpg

post-4-1163840789.jpg

post-4-1163840864.jpg

post-4-1163840926.jpg

Greg Robinson

Another "1st generation" Marine KA-BAR that's almost identical to the one shown above but it's the next step in the evolution of those. Now the blade is not quite so blunt and the specification requiring a smooth pommel has been changed. So the blade tang is now peened.

This example betters shows off just how handsome these knives were.

There was also a "2nd generation" red spacer USMC KA-BAR that typically has triple black spacers at the pommel but I don't have one of those to show you. All these red spacer KA-BARs were made in the first few weeks of 1943 and were the first of the 1219c2's to reach the Marines in the Pacific.

post-4-1163857485.jpg

post-4-1163857559.jpg

• 7 months later...
Another "1st generation" Marine KA-BAR that's almost identical to the one shown above but it's the next step in the evolution of those. Now the blade is not quite so blunt and the specification requiring a smooth pommel has been changed. So the blade tang is now peened.

This example betters shows off just how handsome these knives were.

There was also a "2nd generation" red spacer USMC KA-BAR that typically has triple black spacers at the pommel but I don't have one of those to show you. All these red spacer KA-BARs were made in the first few weeks of 1943 and were the first of the 1219c2's to reach the Marines in the Pacific.

I saw one of these Ka-Bars go for over 3k on e-bay last month :blink: Are these knives worth that much ? I was also told to keep a eye out for a Ka-Bar sheath with black stitching those are a rare one too.

Very nice Ka-Bars thumbsup.gif

Matt-

Greg Robinson
I saw one of these Ka-Bars go for over 3k on e-bay last month :blink: Are these knives worth that much ? I was also told to keep a eye out for a Ka-Bar sheath with black stitching those are a rare one too.

Very nice Ka-Bars thumbsup.gif

Matt-

I've seen the Robeson USMC's sell for that kind of money....sure that's not what you've seen sell on ebay? And the black stitched scabbards were made for the Robeson and are also a tough item to find.

The "red spacer" KA-BAR is a rare knife but I don't believe it's reached the collectible status of the Robeson....not yet at least. My nicest one with near pristine blued blade, shown above, was found on ebay mated with a mint 1943 dated Navy scabbard, and I got it for $125 but that was about eight years ago. :D