Early Special Forces Ike Jacket

Nkomo

I just bought this Ike jacket off of MVMHM. This is an early Special Forces Ike jacket with the early SF SSI and the Airborne tab (teal on yellow). The Ike jacket is dated 1953 on the interior tag. From what I've been able to gather, this jacket would have been worn in 1955. The SF SSI came out in 1955 and the Class A's came out in 1955/1956 time period. So, this Ike would have been used for a very short period of time by the SF.

As you can tell, this uniform is VERY small. The mannequin I placed the uniform on to for pictures can handle a Small Regular jacket with room to spare, but this jacket wouldn't even button.

The insignia on this uniform appears to be original and the stitching is old. No other insignia appears to have ever been present. It does appear to have had some DI on the shoulder straps (which are sewn down). All the pockets have buttons and snap closures on the edges.

The jacket does have a little bit of condition issues. I had once considered stripping the uniform of it's insignia and using it for a display. BUT...I think this piece is rare enough that I'll probably spend some money and get it professionally repaired.

001.JPG

005.JPG

Here is a close up of the SSI on the sleeve. BTW....the SSI may seem to be sewn on crooked, but it is just the way I'm holding the sleeve. :lol:

003.JPG

Thanks! Since this jacket doesn't have any overseas stripes/bars, I was thinking it may have belonged to the 77th Special Forces Group. That is pure conjecture on my part of course.

As you can tell, this uniform is VERY small. The mannequin I placed the uniform on to for pictures can handle a Small Regular jacket with room to spare, but this jacket wouldn't even button.

I have an A-M tiger stripe shirt for an IDed SF NCO which is very small too. But two friends of mine can wear it easy fit. And they are not midgets. Size doesnt make the man. But sometimes annoying for mannequins and display torsoes :wink2:

I have an A-M tiger stripe shirt for an IDed SF NCO which is very small too. But two friends of mine can wear it easy fit. And they are not midgets. Size doesnt make the man. But sometimes annoying for mannequins and display torsoes :wink2:

:lol::lol: So true!!!!!

Arch

Arch,

Greast score.I saw that one and ya beat me to it!!!!! :lol:

I agree has to be real early as the oval is the first style twill to boot.If you get tired of it ship'er out this way.

Take care.

RD

Does anybody have any history on when the yellow-on-teal Airborne tab would have been used - or why its use was discontinued? I picked one up out of a surplus store's patch box a number of years ago, assuming that it was made to match the SF patch, but every example (uniform or photograph) I've come across shows the SF patch worn with the standard yellow/black Airborne tab.

Does anybody have any history on when the yellow-on-teal Airborne tab would have been used - or why its use was discontinued? I picked one up out of a surplus store's patch box a number of years ago, assuming that it was made to match the SF patch, but every example (uniform or photograph) I've come across shows the SF patch worn with the standard yellow/black Airborne tab.

From what I understand, the yellow on teal Airborne tab during that time period was unofficial. I think it started showing up around 1955, when the SF SSI was made official. By 1960 (or around that time period), you start seeing the black and yellow Airborne tab. Not a lot of information out there on the early SF. Hope this helps!

Arch

Arch,

Greast score.I saw that one and ya beat me to it!!!!! :lol:

I agree has to be real early as the oval is the first style twill to boot.If you get tired of it ship'er out this way.

Take care.

RD

Thanks for all the positive replies from the members. Ron, I think this jacket will be staying with me for quite some time. ;)

Arch

Hi,

Great catch! Here is an highly desirable item! A chocolate 4pockets officers jacket was on eBay few not so far ago! Unfortunately, I was far from a computer and unable to bid on it :crying:

Really gret find!

Cheers

Valery

craig_pickrall

Arch, that was a very nice catch on the SF early Ike. There are several photos of these in use that have been published. Most of them are like yours. It seems they played down decorations and went for the plain basic look.

The teal and yellow airborne tabs for the SF patch may have been a simple misunderstanding. Here is the drawing of the original patch.

post-5-1248741890.jpg

As can be seen on these other typical patches the color of the tab is usually specified. In the case of the SF patch it was not.

post-5-1248741984.jpg

post-5-1248741997.jpg

Thanks for posting the pics of the SSI drawings. Very interesting. Let me ask you guys a question then. Since this uniform doesn't have any overseas bars/stripes, would this be a safe bet to assume the gentleman was in the 77th SFG rather than the 10th SFG. Seems if he was with the 10th SFG in Germany, he'd have earned some overseas bars. Can anyone help on that one?

Arch

Arch,

If he was in Germany in the 1950's he would not have recieved overseas stripes. OS stripes were not authorized for Germany during the 1950's.

Nice uniform by the way.

Thanks for posting the pics of the SSI drawings. Very interesting. Let me ask you guys a question then. Since this uniform doesn't have any overseas bars/stripes, would this be a safe bet to assume the gentleman was in the 77th SFG rather than the 10th SFG. Seems if he was with the 10th SFG in Germany, he'd have earned some overseas bars. Can anyone help on that one?

Arch

The Teal Tab was issued with the SF Patch in 1955. When I left the 10th Group 1n 1958 it was still being worn. Replacements coming in to 10th Group from the 77th during this time frame were also wearing the Teal Tab.

Arch

The 10th Group never wore the jump wing oval pictured on the Ike Jacket. It would have to be from the 77th or 1st SF, more than likely the 77th.

Thanks for the great information, guys!!!! Now I am starting on the quest to find the DI for the shoulders. I think that is the only thing it looks like it is missing actually. I know one person who has them, but getting in contact with him will be darn near impossible.

Arch

I really wouldn't mind finding a nice 50's era green beret to go with this jacket. I believe they wore the jump oval on the green beret. Is that correct? Also, what kind of beret do I need to be looking for (French, German, Canadian)? How much would I expect to pay for an original beret? Thanks!!!

Arch

I really wouldn't mind finding a nice 50's era green beret to go with this jacket. I believe they wore the jump oval on the green beret. Is that correct? Also, what kind of beret do I need to be looking for (French, German, Canadian)? How much would I expect to pay for an original beret? Thanks!!!

Arch

The 77th did wear jump wings and ovals on their Berets. Most Berets I have seen being worn by the 77th from the 50's era were Canadian made. I have no idea what you would have to pay for a Beret from that era.

The 77th did wear jump wings and ovals on their Berets. Most Berets I have seen being worn by the 77th from the 50's era were Canadian made. I have no idea what you would have to pay for a Beret from that era.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Arch

Good luck finding a french made green beret of the early 50s. They were only for the Foreign Legion Abn Battalions and really hard to get. Those made later (in one piece) are much easier to pick up.

• 1 year later...
The 10th Group never wore the jump wing oval pictured on the Ike Jacket. It would have to be from the 77th or 1st SF, more than likely the 77th.

According to Ian Sutherland's Special Forces of the US Army 1952-1982, the teal blue and yellow ( the colors of the 77th Grp flag) background, requested by Col Edson Raff was approved by the Heraldic Branch for the 77th in 1954. The approval wasn't exclusively for the 77th, and it found it way into every SF unit.

It also says that "Most of the distinctive devices worn by the early 10th SF group had disappeared when the green flash and green beret were approved by Department of the Army message in late October, 1961. The distinctive insignia of the 1st Special Forces and the teal blue and yellow SF patch and parachute badge background became the standard SF insignia worldwide"