USMC Denim Shirt

gunbarrel

this photo is about the best one i have seen of the bib-front trousers, courtesy of alec tulkoff:

USMCDenim.jpg

these guys are definitely not prisoners and i am willing to bet a night of beers those donut buttons are usmc marked! again, bib front has no pockets and the waist pockets look to be patch type, much like the 1st pattern od hbt trousers with the patch pockets. i have been involved in vintage denim and military for a good while and have yet to see a pair.

Those are really nice fatigue uniforms--thanks for sharing. Here is another view of 1935 gun crew at Marine Corps Base, San Diego. Jim

post-397-1260462392.jpg

Great collection of rare Vintage USMC denim woody !!!!!

Thank you for giving us an education on this .

So in all your years you have never seen a bib ???

Not even heard of one ?

so they must be one of the most rare USMC items that was issued ever !!!

Those buttons are chrome-nickle plated d-nut USMC marker buttons for sure .

what is the metal ?

owen

Owen-

i am sure more than one pair is out there somewhere, but i haven't heard of them, nor seen any MODERN pictures. some dealers/collectors have said they have seen regular usmc denim trousers, but it has always been a dead end. perhaps someone on the Forum knows?

i have had a booth at the rose bowl swap meet (vintage denim central here on the west coast) for maybe 15 years, buying/selling every second sunday of the month. plus the old great western show and now bob chatt's show. i bought two of the pictured jackets early on in those years and have had an eye out ever since. other than that, i don't get out much.

The donut buttons on these jackets are all steel, like other unpainted usmc steel donut buttons of the period, as on some usmc wool trousers and od coveralls, etc.

woody

here are my usmc denim shirts:

Picture2411.jpg

all had shoulder and elbow patches sewn on and these two are the most obvious

Picture2418.jpg

Picture2419.jpg

Hello!

I'm sure you know this, but I'll bring it up since I haven't seen it mentioned. Those patches on the shoulder and elbows were usually of thick felt, and were sewn on temporarily for the rifle range. My guess would be that some units maintained the denim uniforms with patches sewn on to save their regular blouses wear. Marines were normally expected to sew the patches on a regular summer blouse, and then remove them after range detail, but this would have saved a lot of work and wear. Thanks for posting!

• 3 months later...