OIF / OEF RFI

hawkdriver

Ever sit around on a hot Saturday afternoon wondering what soldiers get issued through RFI prior to OIF / OEF??? If so, then this is our day. Today as I was walking across the drill floor, my supply sargent was standing in front of his office with a huge stack of boxes. He hollared at me and told me to come get my junk out of his area.

11ioe3b.jpg

From top left to bottom rigt, here is the inventory:

Modular Lighweight Load-Carrying Equipment: Rifleman Set

Lg Field Pack Set

Massif Fire Retardent Coat and Trouser

Duffle Bag

4 - Socks, Wool Combat

Benchmade Strap cutter and pouch

Gerber multi-tool w/carrier

IR strobe, personal

Combat Ear Plugs

Camelbak cleaning kit

Combat Gloves - Hatch (UGH)

ACH Goggles

2 - Sawfly eye protection

First Aid Kit

TM 10-8415-236-10 ECWCS Gen III Operators Manual

Trouser and Jacket shell cold weather

Polartech mid weight shirt and pants

Gen III trouser extreme cold weather (foilage green)

Polartec light weight shirt and pants

Polartech fleece jacket

Jacket, wind

Jacket, extreme cold weather shell

Jacket, cold wet

Parka, extrem cold weather (foilage green)

ABrangerjoe

That's a lot to hump, I remember my father packing all his gear to get ready to go to Iraq, lots of gear!

usmcaviator

At least your crap is packaged and new, I just surveyed my gear and was issued crap that looks like it has been used 10 times over. I did get a brand new flak vest w/ new SAPI plates, however. That's the Marine Wing for you though...

It's RFI for a unit that hasn't deployed since the war started, so this is the last time I will see packaged gear. We got new gear when I went to OIF the first time and now all the stuff is faded and brown with Iraqi dirt. Great thing about going to a new unit that hasn't deployed.

I have already started the process of trading out my old dirty stuff for this stuff to go into my storage / collection.

19delta-uav

I'm currently using most of that stuff right now in Iraq. The strap cutter is great for numerous uses, We even cut zip cuffs off of hajis we throw back into society. The only thing that sucks is the gloves. They are thicker than the flight gloves we used to be issued, which means working parts of your rifle, and other intricate tasks require you to take them off which is pretty much all the time. I much prefer the thin summer flight gloves, however they only last for about 2 months when your doing combat patrols for 12 hours a day every day. The thick ones have held up for months mostly because they spend more time on my hands than off. Its real good stuff though.

The gloves I got in this batch are Hatch gloves, hence the UGH next to them in the description. Hatch is a "knock-off" company, they don't design anything original, they reverse engineer everyone elses ideas. Their combat glove is a knock off of the Southwest Motorsports combat glove, whick is much better made and easier to use for fine work. I fly with their Max Grip NT gloves and love them.

When I went through RFI the last time (October 2008), we had what they were calling a "light fielding". Since my BDE had already been through RFI back in 2006 before we went to Iraq most of us already had the stuff (or had already gotten it at CIF). When Soldiers arrived at the warehouse they were given an inventory sheet that showed what was offered and what was recoverable (what would later have to be turned in). The RFI team had everything on the list, but you only had to take what you wanted. So if you wanted two ACHs, you could get a second one at the RFI fielding (but you would then have to turn in two helmets when you PCSed). It actually worked pretty good. Modular sleep systems were also offered. As far as gloves and eyepro, it all depends what the RFI team has in stock when they come to your unit. They used to issue Oakly glasses, but I was told RFI has stopped carrying that brand due to the cost (but they are still available through supply once you deploy).

The ECWCS Gen III was technically not part of RFI, but it was done by our CIF at the same place and time.

We were issued our FR ACUs and new IOTVs in December 2008, after our NTC rotation. Apparently the ITOVs weren't avialable for use until then and they didn't want Soldiers to wear the FR ACUs during our NTC rotation. For those who have never worn them, the new FR ACUs wear out VERY fast. The material is much lighter than a nomex flight suit, almost has the weight of linen after they have been washed a few times. We did not get Army Combat Shirts until we arrived in Afghanistan.

Regular people got issued Flame Resistant ACUs, unless you were a 92F (Fueler) or a 89B (Ammo Guy). Aviation units problaby have many more people who get them, but I'm in an Infantry BCT. 92F also got issued a set of tan goretex coveralls. 19 series guys were offered ACU pattern combat vehicle crewman coveralls, but our Brigade declined that since we only have 19Ds they are not mounted.

And the worst part of the whole thing? The Army doesn't issue boots before you deploy anymore.

Benchmade Strap cutter and pouch

Gerber multi-tool w/carrier

IR strobe, personal

Would it be possible to post some better pictures of the above items?

And what model is the Gerber multi-tool? Is it issued to everyone going overseas?

Also what kind of shoes are you guys wearing? What model/brand?

Anyone purchasing their own shoes, Meindl's for example?

I've taken most of the gear in to work and have it locked up in my locker. Let me know what you want pictures of and I will pull it out and take some pics.

As for the Gerber, it just says Mulit-tool, but I did notice that the wire strippers have removeable carbide blades, something I have never seen before.

Boots are a hodge podge, Bates, Wellco, Belleville. Whatever RFI has just gotten in, you can kinda request a brand, but the warehouse people aren't going to let you get to choosy.

VZEMKE: Ya, I went through "light fielding" as well. I was part of the first all National Guard Brigade to go through in mid 06', we got all the ALICE gear that the Ft. Hood CIF wanted to clear out. All the while, the 1st Cav was a couple bays down getting issued all the new gear. Found out a few months after we got in country that they were getting all of our gear and cold weather clothing, which we never got, gets rather cold in Iraq. When we returned and were asking to turn our gear in, we were told that we were keeping it because our state was charged and paid for all that ALICE gear!

The IR strobe is a very small strobe light that simply attaches to the end of a 9-v battery. It is very small and basic. Here's a link: http://www.nightvisionsystems.com/prod/pro...=244&from=9

Here's a link to the Ranger Joes listings of strap cutter that is exaclty like the one I recieved. There is also a generic model sometimes issued that is slightly larger. http://www.rangerjoes.com/benchmade-7hook-...ter-p-4513.html

As for the Gerber multi-tool, it is the cheapest and most basic style available. The quality seemed to be a bit lower than what you would normally get if you bought a new Gerber at the store. It comes in a ACU patterned MOLLE pouch with a foliage green flap. Everyone going through RFI gets one.

As for boots, Soldiers are wearing ALL KINDS. Most people usually just wear the standard issue hot weather desert boots or temperate desert boots (goretex). But, as long as they are within regulations you can wear just about any after market military style desert boot you want. Danner and Oakly are popular and you can buy them at the bigger PXs in Iraq and Afghanistan.

In Eastern Afghanistan it is also common place to wear commerical mountain hking boots if you are out at one of the smaller combat outposts. These are either purchased at the unit level (Battalion or Brigade) through a Purchase Request or bought by the individual soldiers. If they are bought through a purchase request they must be US made and are usually Danners.

https://peosoldier.army.mil/RFI/equipment.asp#

Would it be possible to post some better pictures of the above items?

And what model is the Gerber multi-tool? Is it issued to everyone going overseas?

Also what kind of shoes are you guys wearing? What model/brand?

Anyone purchasing their own shoes, Meindl's for example?