Numbered Distinguished Flying Cross

DZR

I see allot about naming on DFC's, but what does numbering mean? Can it be used to date a medal? I have three DFC's and only one is numbered at the bottom edge of the cross. It's a beautiful example, more 'gold' than bronze. All three are vary in finish from bright to dark in finish. (I just noticed the first lapel pin is for a silver star, whoops)

post-3715-1248552182.jpg post-3715-1248552124.jpg

I have a named and numbered (11722) DFC as well. It is dated 6 April 1943. There is some data that states the DFC cut-off for numbering is 16758 and supposedly came from research conducted by Al Gleim.

decwriter

FrankEaton01

Nice medal! There were two contracts for numbered DFC medals during WWII. Your example is from the first contract. The second contract was more bronze in color, and its number had two digits to the left side of the propeller blade, and three digits to the right side. The Army stopped serial numbering medals by approximately early 1943, so you know your medal was made early in the war.

60d5b8dc.jpg

Thank you very much gentlemen. I'd love to see more examples - hopefully this thread will grow to include more examples and stories!

AirMechanic

I have three numbered WWII DFC's that the numbers are consecutive. They were purchased in a group of about 20 unissued WWII cased DFC's. There were about 5 or 6 numbered DFC's in the group.

You learn something new every day! I see that the stated Al Gleim research wasn't 100% accurate with the example provided by Frank (17053) and the link provided by KASTAUFFER (18000 range). Does anyone know if they were numbered or has seen one numbered in the 20,000 range? :think:

decwriter

• 1 month later...

For several years, I have kept a survey databank of DFC numbers, which now has 84 entries. The highest number reported so far is 17x936. The transition from left bottom edge to split numbering occurs between 13022 and 13x166. DFCs 223 to 232 were awarded for Pearl Harbor. I have DFC 17x256 which is engraved only with the date "Jan. 3 '44". Hope this helps.

Tom Nier, OMSA 1096

For several years, I have kept a survey databank of DFC numbers, which now has 84 entries. The highest number reported so far is 17x936. The transition from left bottom edge to split numbering occurs between 13022 and 13x166. DFCs 223 to 232 were awarded for Pearl Harbor. I have DFC 17x256 which is engraved only with the date "Jan. 3 '44". Hope this helps.

Tom Nier, OMSA 1096

Hi Tom

Here is a pic of the new " high number "

Kurt

post_105_1247188781.jpg

• 6 years later...
  • 3 years later...

I love that when I find something that I haven't seen before I can always count on this forum to have a thread on it already. Just picked up this numbered DFC in an untitled case being serial number 6419. From what I read above this would be from the first contract and it is golden in color. Sadly it didn't come with any Identification as to who it was awarded to but there was a Silver Star ribbon and a DUC with it as well. The case has no markings to the front but appears to be the original issued case as the lapel button was well wedged in it's slot.

post-17286-0-81294500-1580590603_thumb.jpg

post-17286-0-71266600-1580590617_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...
Rhodesia1980

How do you find the person that was awarded the DFC by serial number? I have serial number 14 of one side of the medal rim and 865 on the other side of the rim all stamped numbers, came in a black coffin box style for WWII

Typically, these numbered medals are un-traceable. There are a few numbers that are documented, but the vast majority are not.

Sorry!

Allan

Rhodesia1980
12 minutes ago, Allan H. said:

Typically, these numbered medals are un-traceable. There are a few numbers that are documented, but the vast majority are not.

Sorry!

Allan

Thank you I have a silver star medal same way it is numbered 3629 and was told the same think they cannot be traced

47 minutes ago, Rhodesia1980 said:

Thank you I have a silver star medal same way it is numbered 3629 and was told the same think they cannot be traced

A Silver Star number 3629 would be a WWI award and as such should be named.

Allan

Rhodesia1980
On 3/10/2023 at 12:10 PM, Allan H. said:

A Silver Star number 3629 would be a WWI award and as such should be named.

Allan

It is engraved on the back I was hoping to see it it matched the person to the number

Rhodesia1980
On 3/10/2023 at 11:22 AM, Rhodesia1980 said:

Thank you. maybe I will have luck on the serial numbered #3692 Silver Star Medal from WW 1. I had the wrong number instead of 3629 its 3692 I need glasses, lol

15 hours ago, Rhodesia1980 said:

Thank you. maybe I will have luck on the serial numbered #3692 Silver Star Medal from WW 1. I had the wrong number instead of 3629 its 3692 I need glasses, lol

There is no name on the back? This is VERY unusual!

Allan

Rhodesia1980
47 minutes ago, Allan H. said:

There is no name on the back? This is VERY unusual!

Allan

There is his name is Arthur H. Hurlock and his citation order number 3 dated 3 June 1919 for actions with Battery D, 122 FA 33rd Div. American Expeditionary Forces for valor in action near Richecourt, France on 12 September 1918. I wanted to see if his silver star number 3692 matches his name I know that their are serial numbered early WW 1 silver stars that have a 4 digit serial number on the star rim but no engraving so someone adds a name on the back to pass it off as the real deal. Arthur H. Hurlock's engraving looks real type engraved by the government and not some local jeweler engraver. His history shows he enlisted on July 7 1911 with the 1st Illinois Cavalry and reenlisted on June 20th 1916 and was appointed to 1st Sgt. and was discharged on 7 June 1919. His silver star medal has 2 Oak Leaf's and his WW 1 Victory Medal has 1 large silver star on it as well as two bars, St. Mihiel and Meuse-Argonne

I'm glad that the medal has a name and with these low numbered Silver Stars, they are almost always named. Usually, if there isn't a name, it is because someone ground or polished the name off of the medal. As for the number, you could find Hurlock's award card and compare the number on the card to the number on the medal. They never match, but are normally within about fifty digits of each other.

Your medal was most likely awarded very shortly after the Silver Star medal was authorized in 1932.

Allan

Rhodesia1980
On 3/14/2023 at 8:40 AM, Allan H. said:

I'm glad that the medal has a name and with these low numbered Silver Stars, they are almost always named. Usually, if there isn't a name, it is because someone ground or polished the name off of the medal. As for the number, you could find Hurlock's award card and compare the number on the card to the number on the medal. They never match, but are normally within about fifty digits of each other.

Your medal was most likely awarded very shortly after the Silver Star medal was authorized in 1932.

Allan

HPIM0193.JPG

HPIM0194.JPG

HPIM0196.JPG

HPIM0197.JPG

Rhodesia1980
On 3/14/2023 at 7:37 AM, Rhodesia1980 said:

There is his name is Arthur H. Hurlock and his citation order number 3 dated 3 June 1919 for actions with Battery D, 122 FA 33rd Div. American Expeditionary Forces for valor in action near Richecourt, France on 12 September 1918. I wanted to see if his silver star number 3692 matches his name I know that their are serial numbered early WW 1 silver stars that have a 4 digit serial number on the star rim but no engraving so someone adds a name on the back to pass it off as the real deal. Arthur H. Hurlock's engraving looks real type engraved by the government and not some local jeweler engraver. His history shows he enlisted on July 7 1911 with the 1st Illinois Cavalry and reenlisted on June 20th 1916 and was appointed to 1st Sgt. and was discharged on 7 June 1919. His silver star medal has 2 Oak Leaf's and his WW 1 Victory Medal has 1 large silver star on it as well as two bars, St. Mihiel and Meuse-Argonne

HPIM0192.JPG