Why Does the Navy Need Tailhooks?

Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

After a tough day of flying they use them to hang the planes up to dry out...... :D

TF_9J_Hanging_VT_25.jpg

One of my wiseguy Air Force veteran pals sent this to me. Actually, this aircraft was a TF-9J Cougar operating with Navy Training Squadron VT-25. This mishap occurred on 5/24/66. Not sure of the location but probably on a training carrier in the Gulf of Mexico. It looks like the crew did not eject.

Regards,

Charlie

What impresses me is how strong that airplane's tail hook really is- I image holding the weight of the plane is many times less stressful than catching a wire!

Charlie Flick
Send him this photo.......this is what it would look like if the Air Force operated carriers. [

Good one, T. I will pass it along. He likes a good laugh, too.

Charlie

Sgt. Boghots
After a tough day of flying they use them to hang the planes up to dry out...... :D

post-68-1248473818.jpg

One of my wiseguy Air Force veteran pals sent this to me. Actually, this aircraft was a TF-9J Cougar operating with Navy Training Squadron VT-25. This mishap occurred on 5/24/66. Not sure of the location but probably on a training carrier in the Gulf of Mexico. It looks like the crew did not eject.

Regards,

Charlie

There's still an interesting chapter to be written for those guys in the aircraft. I think the option of ejecting is off the table. It looks like the next decision is trying to figure out from where you're sittin' just how long whatever is keeping you out of the water is going to hold, and how to start popin' buckles and straps without shaking the bird off the hook. There's going to be a lot of commotion to get yourself in the water, once you make the commitment !! - Pucker factor is still at least 8+ . . .

Paul