Custom Ribbon Bars--Any era!

CNY Militaria

Two more for tonight.

An officer who served from World War II through the Vietnam War:

wguf81.jpg

And, a nice custom-made set of unit citations:

6szzw3.jpg

Heres one from a D-Day vet. Can you see whats wrong?

post-100-1177724362.jpg

Hey Jim,

I don't know if anyone has answered you question yet, but, it would appear that the tailor used the Philippine Liberation ribbon instead of, what I would assume, should have been a Bronze Star ribbon.

Incidently, all those photos of ribbon bars on uniforms are great !! Do you have all those uniform in your collection ?? If so, I'd love to see more of the whole uniforms and their history !! thumbsup.gif

Thanks,

Vic

Time for some more custom bars. First, we have some Army ribbon groups.

Silver Star and Purple Heart recipient. Unfortunately, there are no battle stars on this group.

23rs602.jpg

Legion of Merit, Bronze Star, and Croix de Guerre recipient. Missing a couple of battle stars.

142bsld.jpg

Soldier who served in the Occupation of Japan.

opsiuh.jpg

My latest acquisition. This group is on an Ike jacket that belonged to an Army Captain who had prior service with the Marine Corps in the 1930's. I'm in the middle of researching him right now, and what I've already found is fascinating. I'll be posting a thread as soon as I have this uniform all researched.

2nko0o0.jpg

Now it's time for a couple of AAF/USAF groups.

Air Medal recipient from the Korean War with prior enlisted service during World War II.

1424xnn.jpg

This one I found in a "junk box" at a militaria show. Note that the Air Medal and American Defense ribbons are U.S.-made, but the ETO ribbon is English-made. Quite an interesting combination!

14l5389.jpg

Finally, some Navy ribbon groups.

Fully embroidered Vietnam service ribbon group.

ddevf8.jpg

Modern Navy ribbon group. The ribbons appear shiny in the picture due to them having gotten starch on them at some point. I also think the Commendation ribbon is missing a gold star.

22x92h.jpg

Another modern Navy group.

nzod9i.jpg

Really great embroidered group from the Korean War era. Includes the Atlantic "A" device on the American Defense ribbon and a beautiful bullion frame on the ROK PUC.

2h7feyx.jpg

Finally, a beautiful Bronze Star recipients group.

xg0chy.jpg

• 1 month later...
ItemCo16527

Here's a couple more I picked up at the Meadowlands Militaria show a few weeks ago.

Army officer with prior service as an enlisted man. Served in both World War II and Korea:

24m5js6.jpg

Another Army officer with prior service as an enlisted man, and served in both Korea and Vietnam. He earned two Good Conduct Medals, and served long enough to be awarded the Army Service Ribbon and Army Overseas Service Ribbon when they were first issued in 1981!

264gj1l.jpg

ItemCo16527

Almost forgot to post this one, which is my my most recent eBay purchase:

Another Army Mustang who served multiple tours in Vietnam, earning four Bronze Star Medals, thirteen Air Medals, three Vietnamese Crosses of Gallantry, and seven battle stars amongst others.

11ileuc.jpg

This ribbon bar was "thrown in" as a gift and was in the presentation box of the DFC that I bought. w00t.gif

Needless to say it was a welcome surprise. It belonged to Captain Frank Cable "Duke" Steinemann, a Bomber Pilot in the PTO, who later retired as a Colonel.

post-634-1205679303.jpg

I must have missed this thread first time around. I have several sets of custom ribbon sets, both mounted on uniforms and loose. Some, I suppose are only quasi-custom as they are standard ribbons but are sewn onto custom mounts.

The first one I'm going to post comes from a Navy Senior Chief Gunner's Mate's khaki tunic. the guy I got this from several years ago told me that, as a young seaman gunner's apprentice, the owner was aboard the Hornet for the launching of the Doolittle Raiders but, without a name............well, you know.

Anyway, the ribbons are nice and about as custom as they come, all laid up with individual threads.

post-1107-1205873350.jpg

This one has appeared previously in the uniform section. It consists of standard issue segemnts of ribbon sewn to a backing and, in turn, sewn to the blouse. The owner of this one was a WW-I retred based on the ribbons and the chevron o'seas marks on the bottom of the sleeve.

post-1107-1205873772.jpg

I think I've also previously shown these on the silver-tan Air Force tunic in the uniform section as well. They are also made from individual threads on a piece of material which was, then, sewn to the blouse.

post-1107-1205873941.jpg

These are standard ribbon segments mounted under a convex curved plastic covers. They have clutch-back studs on the back and are mounted on a 31st Infantry Regiment officer's blouse. Originally they were one solid block but, over the years, the top row broke off. If you look closely at the picture, you can just see where the top row snapped off. I believe these might have been made in Europe (Germany???).

post-1107-1205874142.jpg

This set is sewn dirtectly on the USAF blue tunic that belonged to Walter Pforzheimer. The ribbons are sewn diirectly onto the tunic. I also have hias Army Air Force Chocolate and Khaki tunic but didn't see the need to post all three of them. If someone wants to see them, let me knoe and I'll post them as well.

post-1107-1205874378.jpg

This one is from the mid 1980s and is one of the bars that Gil was talking about. It has a sticker on the back for Mr Lim's Tailor Shop, Taipei, Taiwan. The Taiwanese devices are really cheap and some hace come off. You can see that these were created from individual threads.

post-1107-1205874667.jpg

Here are two sets. I'v e had them for many years....so many years that I don't remember who they belinged to. they might both be from the same individual, representing different periods of time but I just don't remember...the only difference I can see is the addition of the National Defense ribbon on the top one.

I did get them both from the same person.

post-1107-1205874904.jpg

The set below are standard ribbons but they were custom sewn onto an early pinback mounting bar with "C" clasp. The ribbon on the left appears to be a narrow stripe first pattern Navy Cross ribbon.

post-1107-1205875130.jpg

I'll do one more for now. this ine is a bit unusual in that it is made of miniature ribbons sewn onto a pinback mounting bar. I cropped it in such a way that part of a standard, full-sized ribbon bar shows above in order to provide some size comparison. The first two ribbons are, of course, the Silver Star and WW-I Victory. the next one is, I believe, a medal issued by the town of St Mihel, and the last one is for Verdun.

post-1107-1205875356.jpg

Couldn't resist doing one more tonight....this is a great thread with lots of super ribbons posted!

This one is sewn onto a USAF Colonel's IKE jacket. It is made from individual threads attached to a piece of uniform material, then sewn directly onto the Ike jacket.

OK, this is really the last one for tonight!

post-1107-1205875899.jpg

The ribbon bar below is sewn onto the 1930s Army officer's dress blue blouse that belonged to then Major (DR) Albert Kenner. This ribbon bar has previously appeared in the uniform section among the pictures of Dr Kenner's uniform. Pretty impressive rack for a WW-I Medical doctor.

post-1107-1205968283.jpg

This loose set was obviously made for an officer's khaki uniform. Since it has a National Defense (Fire Watch) ribbon, it must be from at least the mid-later Korean War era. I have no idea what the black/white ribbon is for.

post-1107-1205968453.jpg

The top one is a loose ribbon that belonged to Army Air Service pilot Capt Kenney. The bottom one is sewn onto one of his early 1920s uniforms. You can see where a couple of the stars have come off the top one.

Both ribbon sets are quite tall; the bottom one is almost 3/4 of an inch high; I guess to accomodate the two rows of stars but I've never seen another one of this height.

post-1107-1205968752.jpg

post-1107-1205968960.jpg

This set was made by sewing ribbon segments onto a strip of burlap or sizing material. This resulted in a very flexible ribbon bar. Sorry that the picture isn't very good.....I don't think the flash fired for this shot.

post-1107-1205969567.jpg

One more for tonight. This one looks to have been made for a post war officer's olive drab Ike jacket (by the color of the backing material). This guy was a WW-I retread as he has both WW-I and WW-I Victory medals. Rhis one also was made by laying individual threads down on the backing material.

post-1107-1205969903.jpg