Custom Ribbon Bars--Any era!

CNY Militaria

This ribbon bar belonged to Colonel Dale Shatzer, USMC. I have a portrait confirming same entitlement and a newspaper clipping giving some career details. Other bars to him showed a later entitlement to a Navy Commendation Medal as well.

Always like the Legion of Merit with "V" as it really was held in esteem as a combat leadership award. Could not find a citation unfortunately. 

In between rows there is khaki cloth to match the uniform.

20220303_123655.jpg

20220303_123706.jpg

ItemCo16527

A few of my latest. First an embroidered Army ribbon group featuring the Bronze Star with gold, instead of bronze, "V" and two oak leaf clusters, and two nice Navy ribbon bars. Both sets have the ribbons sewn to the mounting bars, and unfortunately, the Good Conduct ribbon is missing two star devices. I'm patiently waiting for a more modern ribbon group to arrive. It should be here in just a few more days.

VN BSM (2).JPG

Navy (4).JPG

ItemCo16527

The GWOT Ultra-Thin set I referred to in my last post arrived this week. The Vietnam Air Medal set I've had for a while, but I hadn't gotten around to posting it yet.

Navy (5).JPG

Navy (6).JPG

• 5 weeks later...
ItemCo16527

My latest ribbon bar. Very nice bar to a career Navy officer, although the ribbons are a bit out of order. From left to right: WWI Victory w/ 1 battle star, Mexican Campaign, and American Defense Service.

Navy (7a).JPG

Navy (7b).JPG

MG Spurgeon Neel Jr.- out of my collection

image.png.a7e7b3d7adbd0dd8bb2b3c66e23ca628.png

Major General Major General Spurgeon Neel Jr., MD:

was a Army physician who also pioneered the development of aeromedical evacuation, better or commonly known as “Dustoff” also became “MAST”or  Military Assistance to Safety and Traffic.  more recently  known as “Life Flight” of battlefield casualties and critically injured civilian casualties during the Critical first hour in the civilian world. The general earned his medical degree at the University of Tennessee. He served as a commander of a medical unit in World War II.

He served as a surgeon at Fort Bragg in North Carolina, 82d airborne from 1949-1951. In early 1949 was on a board that oversaw the early use of helicopters for medical evacuation. In 1951 he became the First graduate of the Air Force’s Aeromedical medicine School at Randolph AFB also in San Antonio. Now the Army has its own. Had over 5,000 recues at and around Fort Sam in San Antonio.  His ribbon bar represents the following awards:

Army Distinguished Service Medal with OLC

Legion of Merit Medal w 3 OLC

Bronze Star Medal w OLC

Air Medal w 3 OLC

Joint Service Commendation Medal

Air Force Commendation Medal

Purple Heart Medal

American Defense Service Medal

World War II Victory Medal

World War II Occupation Medal

Korean  Service  Medal w bronze star

Vietnam Service Medal w 4 bronze stars

Korean   Service Medal w 1 bronze star

Korea Order of Military Merit, Eulji Medal

Vietnam National Order of Vietnam, 5th class

Vietnam Army distinguished Service Order, 2d Class

Vietnam Public Service Medal

United Nations Service Medal

Vietnam Campaign Medal w 1960 device

ItemCo16527

Just got a couple more custom groups. First up is a beautiful Army DSM / WWI Victory pair sewn to the mounting bar. The second set of ribbons I actually used to own, but had sold many years ago. I found it up on eBay and managed to get it back. It's pretty unique as it has both the Army & Navy Good Conduct Medal ribbons and the Philippine Defense Ribbon. I'm very glad I was able to get this one back!

DSM (1).JPG

DSM (2).JPG

DSM (3).JPG

Army-Navy.JPG

ItemCo16527

This Coast Guard group just arrived today. Made by Leu's Handicraft in Taiwan, it features, among others, the CG Achievement Medal, CG Commandant's Letter of Commendation Ribbon, CG Bicentennial Unit Award, two awards of the Humanitarian Service Medal, and the CG Special Operations Ribbon with 3 stars. Interestingly, it doesn't have the CG Sea Service Deployment Ribbon.

DSCF8726.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

A very nice quality modern set of ultra thin ribbons spaced nicely between khaki fabric. The quality of the attachments is exceptional, the C device not too common to see especially on a Joint Commendation, the individually spaced attachments looks so sharp in my opinion, well done USMC.

Jeff

20220509_130708.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

An interesting combo with no personal awards and 3 Reserve-related ribbons. I was wondering if there would be some chance of matching a formation served with based on the 1 x PUC, 2 x NUC, and 2 campaigns on the Asiatic Pacific. Each row is a separate bar.

Jeff

20220526_151548.jpg

• 2 months later...

A nice 1950s naval ribbon bar with black backing. Interesting style on the Navy Unit Commendation. I like the downward pointing stars that seem common with the navy, always wondered the significance of this, same as Navy MOH.

Foreign Presidential Unit Citations correctly placed at the end before the regs were trained.

20220805_161059.jpg

20220805_161116.jpg

• 1 month later...

An interesting combination that indicates Marine service in the Pacific and Army reserve for Korea and Vietnam. Looks like the Reserve Service Medal is out of place. I like the Loma Linda style mounting bars.

20220913_224225.jpg

20220913_224123.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Forgot to post this one. WWII USCG ribbon bar consisting of the CG Good Conduct, American Defense w/ clasp, and CG Rifle Expert ribbons.

Ribbon Group2 (1).JPG

Ribbon Group2 (2).JPG

Here are two custom ribbons with what looks to be a glass covering with golden edges turned up. Anyone seen these before? They look too clear to be plexiglas. 

GMR1.jpg

GMR2.jpg

On 1/30/2023 at 8:15 PM, ItemCo16527 said:

Special Forces (1).JPG

I forgot to post an update to this one. I was actually able to identify the officer who wore these very ribbons. Just by dumb luck, I found him by Googling a rank and a couple of the awards in the group, and he wound up being the very first result that came up. I even found a couple of pictures of him wearing what I believe are these very ribbons. Obviously, for privacy reasons, I cannot post his name, but I cannot believe I was able to ID this set!

SF Officer (1).png

SF Officer (2).png

• 1 month later...
ItemCo16527

For your consideration, I present to you a nice two-service veteran's ribbon group which just arrived today. As soon as I saw it had ribbons from both the USMC and USCG, I jumped on it. Not only that, but it was made by Leu's so I knew it would be top quality. The only flaw is the star device fell off the National Defense ribbon at some point.

This veteran appears to have served several years in the Marines, earning the MC Good Conduct Medal, MC Expeditionary Medal w/ 1 star, and the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal w/ 1 Star. Then, from the Coast Guard, he received the Commandant's Letter of Commendation Ribbon w/ "O" device, the CG Meritorious Unit Commendation w/ "O" device, the CG Reserve Medal w/ 1 star, et al.

Ribbon Group (3).JPG

easterneagle87
On 2/8/2023 at 5:27 PM, ItemCo16527 said:

I forgot to post an update to this one. I was actually able to identify the officer who wore these very ribbons. Just by dumb luck, I found him by Googling a rank and a couple of the awards in the group, and he wound up being the very first result that came up. I even found a couple of pictures of him wearing what I believe are these very ribbons. Obviously, for privacy reasons, I cannot post his name, but I cannot believe I was able to ID this set!

SF Officer (1).png

SF Officer (2).png

Pretty awesome career. Enlisted to officer. Old Guard, Special Forces and some interesting foreign awards.  

ItemCo16527
1 hour ago, easterneagle87 said:

Pretty awesome career. Enlisted to officer. Old Guard, Special Forces and some interesting foreign awards.  

Of all the attributed items I've had in my collection over the years, his ribbon group led me to one of the most amazing careers I've ever seen. He's actually entitled to one more medal: the Legion of Merit. He spent 43 years in uniform by the time he retired as a Colonel!

ItemCo16527

I just got this unusual bar today. Even though it probably belonged to a foreign officer, I'm including it in this thread since it does include the U.S. Legion of Merit sandwiched between the Dutch Order of Orange-Nassau (Knight) and the Military Order of Italy (Commander). It's such an interesting combination of awards I thought others may want to see it.

Unknown (1).JPG

Unknown (2).JPG

Unknown (3).JPG

Unknown (4).JPG

Not attributed, but thought id share ribbon set i got a little while back. 
Added medal just for display. 

Expeditionary, Cuban Pacification
Victory, Haitian, 2nd Nicaraguan 
American Defense, EAME, Haitian Order of Honour and Merit

Expeditionary is missing a star and the Haitian order is missing its rosette 

CBF1527A-D9AC-42A5-B2DA-83E41CDD7739.jpeg.c3bcfee3bf80700acf95f6ee35d71372.jpeg