Custom Ribbon Bars--Any era!

CNY Militaria

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My only custom rack in the collection, posted in another thread but figured it should be here with the other spectacular ones shown. Not that this is to spectacular, but its interesting to see both WWI and WWII Occupation ribbon being worn. There is evidence of WWII era soldiers wearing the WWI, and even both being worn in the Post War era. What I found interesting, and why I bought this rack, is that he has both Occupation ribbons being worn along with Korean service and Reserve service well after WWII ended.

post-5665-0-62077000-1554410373_thumb.jpg

My only custom rack in the collection, posted in another thread but figured it should be here with the other spectacular ones shown. Not that this is to spectacular, but its interesting to see both WWI and WWII Occupation ribbon being worn. There is evidence of WWII era soldiers wearing the WWI, and even both being worn in the Post War era. What I found interesting, and why I bought this rack, is that he has both Occupation ribbons being worn along with Korean service and Reserve service well after WWII ended.

Is cool. Just a word about the Armed Forces Reserve Medal. It doesn't just represent "drilling" Reserve service. It also means the officer or EM may have had reserve status or a reserve commission while serving on active duty. Either way, I'm guessing there's about 30 to 35 years of service represented here.

Thanks for the comment, as I'm not a medal collector I don't know squat about these. I have the Call of Duty book and base my assumption on the creation date of the Reserve Medal, which as 1950. I didn't know if it was retroactive or not. Just figured that by Korea the wear of both Occupation Era ribbons by that time would seem an anomaly, as there was plenty of time for it to be corrected. But who knows, I was Guard myself and priorities were sometimes elsewhere.

Is cool. Just a word about the Armed Forces Reserve Medal. It doesn't just represent "drilling" Reserve service. It also means the officer or EM may have had reserve status or a reserve commission while serving on active duty. Either way, I'm guessing there's about 30 to 35 years of service represented here.

Thanks for the comment, as I'm not a medal collector I don't know squat about these. I have the Call of Duty book and base my assumption on the creation date of the Reserve Medal, which as 1950. I didn't know if it was retroactive or not. Just figured that by Korea the wear of both Occupation Era ribbons by that time would seem an anomaly, as there was plenty of time for it to be corrected. But who knows, I was Guard myself and priorities were sometimes elsewhere.

I don't think it was retroactive -- and can't find a citation either way -- the key here is the National Defense Service Medal. It was awarded twice, probably for Korea and Vietnam, and I note the oak leaf instead of the star, which you will see in the Call to Duty book. That would place the award period well within the 10 year period from 1950 and into the second award period.

I was a regular Air Force EM the first time I saw an officer wearing this medal. That officer held a reserve commission on active duty. After my first tour of active duty, I was a reserve airman, first Cat A unit gained and then recalled to active duty under Title 10 and I was awarded the basic medal at the 10 year point. A little later came a "M" device for Desert Storm.

• 4 weeks later...
AAlvarado90

My latest: a Chief Aviation Machinist's Mate who served in all three theaters of WWII, China, and also in Korea.

2ynl5yf.jpg

I sold that to you ;)

Glad it went to a good collector

• 2 weeks later...
ItemCo16527

I sold that to you ;)

Glad it went to a good collector

I am beyond happy with it! I'm proud to have it in my collection :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Yeah, he must have been enlisted at some point. It has no name, so I can't tell you more. All the insignia (ribbons, oval, 82nd patch and OS bars) are machine sewn to the uniform, I thought it might have been done in Germany before the 82nd left, but I read that the Occupation ribbon didn't come out until 1946, so maybe made Stateside before he was discharged ???? I don't know what is up with only the arrow head device on the European Ribbon and NO campaign stars. It was an antique shop find.

BTW, it did not have the 2 fourragere and the CIB. Those are original given to me by an 82nd vet and I added then for display in my collection room. He may have not been entitled to both cords.