Custom Ribbon Bars--Any era!

CNY Militaria

Spectacular! Thank you for all the pictures!

By the way, he would have worn the Navy version of the Medal of Honor, even if he was in the Air Force. Same thing with Good Conduct Medals, the Navy & Marine Corps Medal/Airman's Medal, Commendation Medals, etc.

What a treasure!

Thanks again!!

• 4 weeks later...

This ribbon group came to me recently and is part of my small but respectable Leyte Gulf collection. The ribbons belonged to Admiral Roland Smoot. During the battle of the "Surigao Straits" he was commander of Destroyer Squadron 56, for that action in the early morning hours of October 25, 1944 he received his first Navy Cross. His Legion of Merit with Combat V is also for operations during the Battle of Leyte Gulf from October 18 to 29, 1944. Admiral Smoots' 2nd Navy Cross came during the battles off Okinawa and the Ryukyus Islands in mid 1945. Enjoy

post-758-0-19394100-1432160946.jpg

firefighter

I'm with Jason on that glider one, beautiful.The rack with the 2nd Award CIB could be missing an arrowhead instead of a star on the EAME campaign ribbon? I like the ribbon for the Medal for Humane Action (Berlin Airlift).I always thought you were either awarded the airlift device for the Medal of Occupation or the MfHA but not both.

doinworkinvans

forgive my ignorance, but with these looking so pristine in condition and dont look to have been sewn, could it not be that most of these are made to sell for collectors? Some of these guys look like they saw some crazy action :)

CNY Militaria

Not necessarily. Many vets bought several sew on sets, but didn't always use them. For example, I just acquired a group containing nine identical loose sew on ribbon sets.

Salvage Sailor

Not necessarily. Many vets bought several sew on sets, but didn't always use them. For example, I just acquired a group containing nine identical loose sew on ribbon sets.

Also, many were made for retirement uniforms thus showing little or no wear

BILL THE PATCH

The admiral smoots ribbon bar , do you know why he was entitled to wear the eto ribbon bar, did he serve in that theater also? Just curious.

Ribbons of Vice Admiral Gerald F. "Gerry" Bogan. Part of my Leyte Gulf Collection. Admiral Bogan commanded Carrier Division 4 and Task Group 38.2 during the Battle of Leyte Gulf. Not sure if these are considered custom. They were sewn down to his uniform as seen on many Navy Officer dress blues.

As a side note Admiral Bogan had earlier in 1944 commanded a Carrier Group consisting of the lighter CVE's. At that time he used the Fanshaw Bay as his flag ship. When Admiral Bogan transferred later in that year the Fanshaw Bay became the flag ship of Admiral Clifton "Ziggy Sprague and go on to fight in the heroic and memorable battles of Taffy 3.

post-758-0-66498200-1432486645.jpg

uniformcollector

I love the VADM Bogan items! We visit Mackinac Island, MI all the time and he is quite the hero there.

Yes the family was from Mackinac Island. He had 2 sisters and a brother all from that area I believe. Adm Bogan would receive 2 DSM's by the end of the war. His first DSM was for actions including Leyte Gulf and awarded towards the end of 1944. This ribbon group,is likely from this time period or slightly later.

• 2 weeks later...