Custom Ribbon Bars--Any era!

CNY Militaria

I have seen the embroidered officer Combo cover insignia, but I have never seen anyone with embroidered/bullion ribbon bars or badges. Have you?

Paul - here is my embroidered set; I wear it on my SDBs...post-233-1281284543.jpg

Paul - here is my embroidered set; I wear it on my SDBs...post-233-1281284543.jpg

This is my Ultra Thin set I wear on my trops...post-233-1281284652.jpg

What is that ribbon on the bottom row, left side?

Also, I was referring to the sewn on embroidered ribbons and badges... Those would be awesome.

What is that ribbon on the bottom row, left side?

Also, I was referring to the sewn on embroidered ribbons and badges... Those would be awesome.

Paul - the top ribbons are embroidered...I know the detail of my photo sucks, but I think there are some pics of other Leus products on the site. If you look closely at the Leu's bar he used an ingeniuous method to reproduce the metal Maltese Cross - color graphic glued to the ribbon - I actually love that he did it too. So, the ribbon you refer to, with the Maltese Cross (which is a special order) is the Armed Forces of Malta 'Protector' Cutter Programme Commendation Ribbon which I recieved when I worked in Int'l Affairs...there were a few other foreign awards handed out, but I wasn't involved in them.

Paul - the top ribbons are embroidered...I know the detail of my photo sucks, but I think there are some pics of other Leus products on the site. If you look closely at the Leu's bar he used an ingeniuous method to reproduce the metal Maltese Cross - color graphic glued to the ribbon - I actually love that he did it too. So, the ribbon you refer to, with the Maltese Cross (which is a special order) is the Armed Forces of Malta 'Protector' Cutter Programme Commendation Ribbon which I recieved when I worked in Int'l Affairs...there were a few other foreign awards handed out, but I wasn't involved in them.

Ohhh... The look like ultra thin sets to me. Is the embroidered set like a sew on patch or are they pinback?

Have you ever seen embroidered insignia on CG Bravo jackets before?(Cutterman Pins, Aviation Badges, and etc)

That international award is pretty cool. I have never seen it before. Is it a high award in Malta?

Ohhh... The look like ultra thin sets to me. Is the embroidered set like a sew on patch or are they pinback?

Have you ever seen embroidered insignia on CG Bravo jackets before?(Cutterman Pins, Aviation Badges, and etc)

That international award is pretty cool. I have never seen it before. Is it a high award in Malta?

The second set is Ultra Thin, but the first, staggered is Leus's. The Leu's is pinback and pretty sturdy.

No embroidered insignia on SDBs, but I don't think there is a prohibition. I just got an embroidered officer device for my combo cover - saw ADM Papp with one and started looking around - haven't seen one of those ever on someone on active duty.

I don't think the award is anything special in Malta. You can see the penant and accompanying citation if you find yourself in HQ anytime soon. It is right outside the door of Int'l Affairs.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my new happy find!!!!

Next earliest US ribbon bar, what I have now with some extras;

Philippine Campaign Medal was established on January 12, 1905 by order of the United States War Department. The medal was authorized to any Army service member who had served in campaigns ashore, on the Philippine Islands, from February 4, 1899 to a date which was then yet to be determined. In January 1914, the Philippine Campaign Medal was declared closed.

Looks like these rings are original and had been there an ages. I was first thinking that the metal loops indicate some pin system on the back but if it was official way to attach the bar to the uniform, it is one of the kind idea, what I haven't seen before!

Any ideas, comments would be great!

16081661fa4539_o.jpg

This just in today....my first embroidered set. The Korean Service and UN ribbons are faded to the point you can't really see the stripes, but salty is OK with me.

post-114-1282347439.jpg

• 7 months later...

This one is a named ribbon bar, one of my favourite. The original owner was Col. David J. Willoughby, who earned the Soldier's Medal on 30 July 1955 in England.

The citation:

"Captain David J. Willoughby distinguished himself by heroism involving voluntary risk of life on 30 July 1955, at Royal Air Force Station, Sculthorpe, Norfolk, England. During the stabilization run-up for takeoff, the number four engine exploded, completely engulfing the right nacell in flames and covering the entire ground area under the aircraft with burning fuel. Immediately after evacuating the aircraft and checking the safety of the crew, Captain Willoughby, with complete disregard for his own safety and despite the imminent possibility of an explosion, re-entered the burning aircraft and closed the fuel shut-off valves. The exemplary courage and decisive thinking displayed by Captain Willoughby reflect great credit upon himself and the United States Air Force"

post-7546-1301048578.jpg

• 1 month later...

Newest pic up. This one is sewn to khaki tropical wool, and has a cardboard stiffener and 2 pin posts. Has an off white cotton backing.

post-4106-1305431483.jpg

• 3 months later...
Photo - The crew of 'Million Dollar Baby', with Arthur French standing center in sheepskin flight jacket. A/C 42-97268 GL-Z 'Million Dollar Baby', 94th Bomb Group, 410th Squadron

The following is his obituray from the USAF Air Weather Association - Departures

Arthur S.French (Shel), LtCol USAF, Ret. passed away at Merritt Island, Florida on May 14, 2003 at age 84. He retired from the Air Weather Service in 1966 at Tyndall Air Force Base, Fl. after 24 years of service in the United States Air Force.

Shel was born at Hasbrouck Hts., New Jersey where he attend schools and spent summers at his parents summer camp on Lake George, Ticonderoga, N.Y. There he assisted in swimming, canoeing and horseback riding. He attended Rutgers University and graduated from Randolph Macon College in Ashland, Virginia, earning his B.S. degree in Chemistry.

In 1943 he joined the US Army Air Corps, attending flight schools at Orangeburg, S.C. and Dyersburg, Tenn. where he earned his wings. Advanced training was at Pyote, Texas in B-17s.

Stationed with the 8th Air Force, 94th Bomb Group at Bury St. Edmunds, England during WW11, he flew 34 combat missions over Germany in his B-17 Bomber the "Million Dollar Baby".

After the war he returned to home at Clearwater, Florida where he taught science at Clearwater High School. At Clearwater he met and married his wife Pat and re-entered the Army Air Corps, attending weather schools at Chanute Field, Ill. and Keesler Field, Biloxi, Ms., and became part of the Air Weather Service. Together they finished his Air force career in meteorology, having been stationed at Clark Field in the Philippines in the late '40s and Fuchu Air Station, Japan in the early '60s. His stateside assignments were Andrews AFB, Va. where their daughter was born, MacDill AFB, Fl. where their son was born, Wright Patterson AFB, Oh., Patrick AFB, Fl. and Tyndall AFB, Fl.

Highlights of his Air Weather Service assignments were Operation Hardtack at Eniwetok in the Marshall Islands in 1957 with underwater testing of the nuclear bomb and accompanying President Dwight Eisenhower and his staff as meteorologist on the President's Goodwill Tour of South America. in 1960.

Following retirement from the Air Force in 1966, Shel returned to school teaching and taught at Hollywood Hills High School in Hollywood, Fl., Florida Air Academy at Plantation, Fl., and Crystal River High School at Crystal River, Fl. where he taught science, physics and ground school aviation classes. He retired from teaching in 1981.

Shel was a member of Delta Kappa Epsilon Fraternity and Quiet Birdmen Society, Ocala, Fl. Chapter.

Arthur S. "Shel" French is identified from the group shot at being the man standing in the center in the sheepskin jacket.

I can say with absolute certainty that the identified man is NOT Arthur S. French. Lt. Col. French was my father. You have the correct data on him and the correct obituary....but the group photo does NOT include Lt. Col. French.

I will continue to check back here, as my family is trying to find more photos of the "Million Dollar Baby" and her crew. My brother and I grew up hearing so many stories about that time in his long Army Air Corps/USAF career that the stories actually became part of our entire family history - and then the grandchildren of "Shel" French now know those stories so well that they (now adults in their 20s) are searching for online photos and stories on the plane and crew.

Thanks to you all for your service.....you defended, protected, and insured the freedoms that we Americans enjoy today.

Most sincerely,

DFLLL

DutchInfid3l

A few more...

This one's pretty beat up, came with the mini medals as well, they look much better...

005.jpg

UltraThin set with the magnetic backings...

006.jpg

008.jpg

007.jpg

013.jpg

This one's on the uniform of a Chief... odd name tag on it too...

011.jpg

012.jpg

Theater made one...

009.jpg

010.jpg

Captainofthe7th

It's about time I post more of the custom ribbon bars in my collection...

DSCF5559.jpg

2nd ID Korea vet....German made ribbons?

DSCF5560.jpg

25th ID WWII and 7th ID Korea. Partly the light color of the ribbons and my flash washing it out. The stars are embroidered.

DSCF5561.jpg

3rd ID WWII and 24th ID Korea

DSCF5562.jpg

25th ID Korea

DSCF5563.jpg

25th ID Korea

DSCF5564.jpg

Some very old ribbons. Not sure if these all count as 'custom' or not but they are sewn to the bars so there is some level of customization involved.

DSCF5565.jpg

1st Cav Captain with prior Navy service

DSCF5566.jpg

7th ID Korea and post Korea service

Rob

Hello everyone,

I enjoy this type of thread, so much info to help us all!

Here is my modest contribution to custom made racks. I really like how the stars are "inverted" on the USN groups.

First up is USMC and USN, I have a single USN/USMC LOM, looks like it was broken off of a sew-on group...wish I had the whole rack for that one!

Best to all,

Joe

post-48324-1313871766.jpg

post-48324-1313871770.jpg