Custom Ribbon Bars--Any era!

CNY Militaria

I believe these might have been made in Europe (Germany???).

post-1107-1205874142.jpg

I'm pretty sure those are unique to occupied Germany.

Nice collection, by the way.

From what I could find, it's the Missouri NG Governors 12 year service ribbon. Had me stumped as well!

It apparently is a Washington National Guard ribbon; there was a thread on this a few months ago: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...pic=31678&h

The ribbon may have been awarded for service during the Berlin Airlift, as a brigade from that state was activated for it (due to the presence of the Occupation ribbon, though it doesn't have the aircraft device).

stingerwooten

Hello,

I'm a bit of a noob here. I'm sure this may have been covered in another topic some time ago, but does anyone have a clue as to where one could acquire a custom-embroidered ribbon bar? I'm a huge fan of this bygone method of showing ones awards. Would love to know if there is someone out there who still does this? I've always wanted to have my awards done in this way. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! ;)

ItemCo16527

Check out Leu's Handicraft of Taiwan. I've used their services a couple of times, and their work is top-notch. Their prices are even better!

(LINK)

just going to show this off to you ribbon fans...I know all the details and the Marine it came from, and all I'm going to say is the Bronze Star with V is for Iwo Jima...as is one of the PUCs...Japanese made from the occupation, I believe...

sorry for the lack of details, but I'm saving that for the thread on his grouping once I finish the research. I'm honored to honor it

Custom_Rack_Front.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
el taco grande

uh oh, the american theater and pacific theater ribbons in posts 207, 215, and 216 are upside down. if you're looking at the ribbon rack, the center blue stripe is always on the left.

i've been looking at a lot of the ribbon images and it is surprising to see how many of the theater ribbons are actually upside down.

i know it's hard to tell, but God is in the details. make sure if you're getting a custom rack done, you tell the manufacturer to make sure the blue stripe is on the left when you're looking at the rack. you can't really flip custom made bars around...

uh oh, the american theater and pacific theater ribbons in posts 207, 215, and 216 are upside down. if you're looking at the ribbon rack, the center blue stripe is always on the left.

i've been looking at a lot of the ribbon images and it is surprising to see how many of the theater ribbons are actually upside down.

i know it's hard to tell, but God is in the details. make sure if you're getting a custom rack done, you tell the manufacturer to make sure the blue stripe is on the left when you're looking at the rack. you can't really flip custom made bars around...

I've actually never seen a true (woven) custom rack that had that problem. As far as regular bars, that upside-down business is a reassuring sign that it's likely real.

:)

• 3 weeks later...
Bob Hudson

These were made for Navy Capt. John Iarrobino, skipper of the aircraft carrier Orisikany in the early days of the Vietnam War. I bought these direct from his estate and he had these plus medal racks that were apparently never used.

These are the Ultra Thin ribbons which are barely thicker than the ribbon cloth:

ribb1.jpg

ribb2.jpg

Here's anther one of his sets:

riba1.jpg

riba2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
kyhistorian01

Here is a World War II navy wide ribbon set that had one time been sewn on a uniform. I picked it up years ago along with a Chief's cap badge

Robert Snow

post-6492-1243824046.jpg

Here's some more that I dug out of one of my storage cabinets this morning. These are two Marine ribbons sewn directly to some sort of thick paper backing. They are designed to be sew-on as there's no attaching pin on the back.

post-1107-1244929383.jpg

post-1107-1244929389.jpg

Top is the front and back of another set of custom sew-on ribbons. Bottom is another set made the same way as the top set.

post-1107-1244929532.jpg

post-1107-1244929538.jpg

Here's two more sets of custom ribbons. Top is a wide early WW-II set with American Defense, Yangtze service, and Nicaragua Medal of Merit with silver and bronze stars.

Bottom is another Marine wide set of ribbons, like the top also sew-on mount, with MGC, Marine Exped., and China Service.

post-1107-1244929676.jpg

post-1107-1244929853.jpg

Here's a group of Geo.Studley mfg. custom mounted ribbons. Bottom is a close-up of the mfg tag on the back of all of them.

post-1107-1244930132.jpg

post-1107-1244930139.jpg