Custom Ribbon Bars--Any era!

CNY Militaria

i believe i am correct on id of this one ! confirmed all awards from different sources .

I believe  this was a ribbon bar for  for Dutch victory  parade?

IMG_2837.JPG.0236662b5eb91dee8a365ccf6f8a7fa0.jpg

IMG_2822.JPG.c011b74a02a64034a7c5a44ace66e656.jpg

IMG_2836.JPG.93384a4963422fc89bdcaff65677b494.jpg

Then Lieutenant Colonel Otho Holmes was awarded a Dutch Bronzen Leeuw (Bronze Lion) by Royal degree of October 8th, 1945 number 31. 

The official ceremony was later that year. I don't know If he attended. The picture you show could be of this.

The funny thing is that the 82nd Airborne Division did occupation duty in Germany, so they all got the Occupation Medal. I don't see this medal in the group.

This points to a 101 Airborne Division guy perhaps. 

Regards

Herman 

The Occupation Medal wasn't authorized until 1946, so he was probably discharged prior to that. The 101st was also authorized the Army Occupation Service Medal for their time in Germany and Austria after the war.

2 hours ago, ItemCo16527 said:

The Occupation Medal wasn't authorized until 1946, so he was probably discharged prior to that. The 101st was also authorized the Army Occupation Service Medal for their time in Germany and Austria after the war.

I found online he was sent home on emergency leave and left Europe during occupation time . His wife was ill and I believe passed away ? I have the research I will dig it out ! He ended up at war college .

1 hour ago, scottplen said:

I found online he was sent home on emergency leave and left Europe during occupation time . His wife was ill and I believe passed away ? I have the research I will dig it out ! He ended up at war college .

Okay, so then this is a match.

He served till his death in 1959. No Korea service but likely a National Defense Service medal in the fifties.

Very likely it is Holmes. Congratulations! 

Regards

Herman 

• 1 month later...
ItemCo16527

Somehow, I always seem to forget to post this one. This group belonged to Capt. Alfred Burka who served as the commander of I & R Platoon, 17th Infantry Regiment, 7th Infantry Division from 1952 to 1953. After Korea, he spent time with the JAG Corps and ended up becoming a judge in civilian life. 

I purchased these from his brother, Brig. Gen. Ed Burka, around 2003 or 2004.

20210319_113338.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
ItemCo16527

Here is a nice matched pair of Ultra-Thin ribbons to an Air Force NCO. One set is clutch-back, and the other uses magnets to secure them to the uniform.

20210407_223518.jpg

Hello,

This will be my first post on the forum after joining and would like to share my interest in ribbon bars. This is my first US bar, the quality of the attachments are what stood out most to me. The single campaign star with arrowhead is intriguing as non-qualifying campaigns could be ruled out. It would be interesting to know the circumstances in which just once campaign star for an assault would be earned without being wounded or participating in other campaigns, perhaps the Rhineland with service to the end of the War and into the Occupation period?

Jeff

ribbon bar.jpg

Another nice set I have, belonged to a 2 war veteran in the USMC. This one was made in Hong Kong, so I find it interesting in that regard as well

The uniform is unnamed unfortunately 

20210118_140631.jpg

ItemCo16527
2 hours ago, Wally6 said:

Another custom USMC set I have, while not sewn on like my previous example it does have a custom mount made for it.

20210107_224325.jpg

I have one similar to this, but for a Sailor.

20210421_160447.jpg

20210421_160546.jpg

20210421_160522.jpg

I just recently picked up this nice USAAF post-War set. Nice age to ribbons and quality of attachments. Did some searching through the WW2 award cards of the Air Medal (got through 4000!) and consistently the most common enlisted recipients of 7 OLCs went to 12th Air Force members, with some to 9th and 15th AF.

After reading an extensive research article of DFC and AM award criteria to numbered Air Forces in WW2 from the USAF history website, it appears the 12th AF did not have a 'cap' on OLCs to the AM whereas the 8th AF for example would consider the DFC in lieu after a certain number of AM awards.

I have read around 5000 awards of the Silver Star to USAAF for WW2, it would be interesting to see the breakdown between officer and enlisted awards. No doubt this SS would represent some specific act of gallantry.

Jeff

20210426_160423.jpg

20210426_160748.jpg

ItemCo16527

I don't know what the total number of Silver Stars would be for officers and enlisted men would be, but I imagine there would be a lot more to officers. There was quite a large number of fighter aircraft and a complete lack of enlisted pilots (I think this MOS was eliminated around 1943 or so), so that would skew the numbers more heavily towards the officers.

-Jeff

This nice British-made example arrived today. I believe who ever wore this one would've served in the CBI theater. Possibly New Guinea area as well

20210430_134339.jpg

20210430_134410.jpg

Anyone have an idea why one campaign star is significantly larger then the other? My theory is that it's supposed to represent 5 campaigns, but I've never seen them represented like that before, usually with a silver star or OLC. Any ideas?

• 4 weeks later...

Just got this uniform in with a gorgeous sewn-on ribbon bar. Had a pair of wings attached to at one point

20210528_124724.jpg

• 1 month later...
ItemCo16527
On 4/30/2021 at 2:54 PM, Wally6 said:

Anyone have an idea why one campaign star is significantly larger then the other? My theory is that it's supposed to represent 5 campaigns, but I've never seen them represented like that before, usually with a silver star or OLC. Any ideas?

It could be he just used whatever stars were available. He may have gotten the very last of one size, and had to use a completely different size one so he could have his proper number of battle stars represented. The size of the stars doesn't have any significance, just the color of them.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, 4STARCHRIS said:

What a great ooking custom ribbon bar. can you list what they represent?

4starchris

Thanks I have 2 of his Bars they are both the same this came out of a lot that was broken up from Ebay several months back I posted the bio that came with it it has all of his awards listed 

received_281577783102102.png

received_285075399595064.png

received_632637654023400.png

received_600971757518851.png

• 4 months later...

This is an interesting ribbon bar with innovative backing made from a vintage Bird's Eye concentrated orange juice can. A good way to date the construction period anyhow!

Army GC is missing the knotted bar, probably a Bronze 5-knot or Silver 1-knot.

The Philippine Independence ribbon is interesting to see, when worn without the Philippine Defense as the regulations stipulate was a pre-requisite, the earlier regulations mention personnel actually serving in the Philippines in 1946 were also eligible.

Jeff

20220127_111154.jpg

20220127_111204.jpg