Custom Ribbon Bars--Any era!

CNY Militaria

Here's one I just acquired.

What is the last ribbon? I have one on a set of Navy WWII/Korean War era ribbon bars and I have seen someone else on here asking the same thing. I know one person replied that it was a state National Guard ribbon, can't remember which one, but that doesn't seem right.

What is the last ribbon? I have one on a set of Navy WWII/Korean War era ribbon bars and I have seen someone else on here asking the same thing. I know one person replied that it was a state National Guard ribbon, can't remember which one, but that doesn't seem right.

From what I could find, it's the Missouri NG Governors 12 year service ribbon. Had me stumped as well!

From what I could find, it's the Missouri NG Governors 12 year service ribbon. Had me stumped as well!

I couldn't remember what another post had said the ribbon was, but the one you named is the one I was referring to. However, that doesn't make sense either for my ribbon bars that had WWII Pacific theater and Korean War service ribbons along with a Navy Commendation Ribbon. Also, it doesn't seem to fit with the uniform in this post. I guess it could be the National Guard ribbon, but that just seems odd for the only two times I have ever seen one.

While I agree it is most likely a WA ARNG Achievement Ribbon, here's an interesting tidbit to further confounds things. That ribbon design was identical to a proposed NATO Service Medal/Ribbon which never came into being. I also have one of these ribbons, albeit a much newer manufacture, and was told by someone here on the forums about the NATO angle.

While I agree it is most likely a WA ARNG Achievement Ribbon, here's an interesting tidbit to further confounds things. That ribbon design was identical to a proposed NATO Service Medal/Ribbon which never came into being. I also have one of these ribbons, albeit a much newer manufacture, and was told by someone here on the forums about the NATO angle.
Hmmmm...and the plot thickens! I do have his name and dogtags, so time for some research! thumbsup.gif

Several more examples I have come across recently.

Early 1950s USAF Rack. Note the lack of campaign ribbons. I wish I knew what he got his DFC and AM for.

Beau

post-88-1234971183.jpg

Rack on the uniform of Lt. Col. Arthur Conradi, Jr., who served as the US Air Corps Attache to Sweden and flew fighters and heavy bombers in the Pacific. He had quite a war!

post-88-1234971285.jpg

Several more examples I have come across recently.

Early 1950s USAF Rack. Note the lack of campaign ribbons. I wish I knew what he got his DFC and AM for.

Beau

That's a really strange rack. If he did, in fact, only serve in the American Theater, the only reasons I could think of for getting a DFC and AM would be either Air-Sea Rescue, or anti-submarine patrols. Perhaps he served on a bomber that sank a U-Boat?

Of course, another option would be that whoever put the group together for him screwed up and left off the EAME or APTO ribbon.

Definitely a headscratcher in any case. think.gif

That's a really strange rack. If he did, in fact, only serve in the American Theater, the only reasons I could think of for getting a DFC and AM would be either Air-Sea Rescue, or anti-submarine patrols. Perhaps he served on a bomber that sank a U-Boat?

Of course, another option would be that whoever put the group together for him screwed up and left off the EAME or APTO ribbon.

Definitely a headscratcher in any case. think.gif

Those are definite possibilities. It really irked me that I couldn't find a name to go along with the tunic. Either way, I was glad just to have it to see up close.

Beau

Those are definite possibilities. It really irked me that I couldn't find a name to go along with the tunic. Either way, I was glad just to have it to see up close.

Beau

Isn't that always the way? You find a great uniform with an incredibly interesting set of ribbons on it, and then discover there's no name or service number anywhere on the uniform. That has happened to me more times than I can count, and it never ceases to be frustrating.

• 1 month later...
el taco grande
post-387-1206760463.jpg

This is a WWI-WWI ribbon bar out of my collection. they are sewn on the back.

Original and in my possession.

Enjoy.

4starchris

4star,

what is the second ribbon from the right on the bottom row (the one with all the red, white, and blue thin vertical stripes) for? i have a soviet general's ribbon bar with that ribbon on it (i assume it's not a soviet ribbon, since it is longer than the others), and i don't know what it is.

thanks.

ItemCo16527

Hi Taco,

If you're referring to the bottom row on that bar, they are (from left to right):

Order of the Red Star (Soviet), Legion of Honor & Croix de Guerre with Palm (France), Czech War Cross 39-45, and the Luxembourg Croix de Guerre.

el taco grande
Hi Taco,

If you're referring to the bottom row on that bar, they are (from left to right):

Order of the Red Star (Soviet), Legion of Honor & Croix de Guerre with Palm (France), Czech War Cross 39-45, and the Luxembourg Croix de Guerre.

thanks, but actually i'm referring to the soviet ribbon bar i have. it is a 48 place ribbon bar, and the last two rows have a bunch of foreign ribbons i can't identify. in order to not hi-jack this thread any more than i have, i am going to take some pictures of the ribbon bars i have and post them in a new topic so i can have some of the experts take a crack at id-ing some of the ribbons on there.

thanks for your help with the czech war cross.

oh, and by the way, the custom ribbon bars you all keep posting on here are really nice. i particularly like the big staggered right sets that are on the general officer's tunics. very impressive, indeed...