Custom Ribbon Bars--Any era!

CNY Militaria

memphismeister
The V on the Air Medal is a Valor Device, not a substitute for 5. The bronze oak leaf clusters represent subsequent awards and a silver oak leaf cluster is worn in lieu of five bronze oak leaf clusters. What did your Dad get his Soldier's Medal for?

Nice rack!

Laury

I would agree with you on the V but it is not a bronze V, thats why i think its a hybrid. As for the soldiers medal he got it for removing the ammo out of a helicopter while it was burning and he was soaked with fuel.

I would agree with you on the V but it is not a bronze V, thats why i think its a hybrid. As for the soldiers medal he got it for removing the ammo out of a helicopter while it was burning and he was soaked with fuel.

Hi memphismeister,

The V is definitely for Valor, and they come in both bronze and gold. The gold color doesn't signify anything in particular. They're a little more "flashy" than the standard bronze V's. Your father has a very impressive rack, and his Soldier's Medal was very well-earned. He must be a very brave man.

memphismeister
Hi memphismeister,

The V is definitely for Valor, and they come in both bronze and gold. The gold color doesn't signify anything in particular. They're a little more "flashy" than the standard bronze V's. Your father has a very impressive rack, and his Soldier's Medal was very well-earned. He must be a very brave man.

Thank you, The rack posted was his first tour In addition he got a V and 2 oak leaf clusters on a ARCOM, Numeral 36 on AM, Broze star, DFC and a un verified SS added to the rack. BTW, I noticed that on the VCM the 60 on the ribbon has at least two varieties

Thank you, The rack posted was his first tour In addition he got a V and 2 oak leaf clusters on a ARCOM, Numeral 36 on AM, Broze star, DFC and a un verified SS added to the rack. BTW, I noticed that on the VCM the 60 on the ribbon has at least two varieties

Wow, he sure was busy during his tours in Vietnam! If you have pics of his other rack, I'd love to see them. You're right about the variety of date bars to the VCM. The standard issue says "60-" on the ribbon bar version, and the one for the full size medal reads "1960-". However, there were local-made clasps for every year during the war, i.e. "65-66", "66-67", etc.

Here is one from my collection that I'd picked up recently:

23hxb2p.jpg

These are a WW2 version and 3 modern 'Ultra Thin' ribbon bars.. The WW2 is a Wolf-Brown USN/USMC size bar. The 2 newer USMC bars on the bottom are from the same guy

post-4106-1226340295.jpg

post-4106-1226340303.jpg

post-4106-1226340317.jpg

post-4106-1226340325.jpg

custom made ribbon rack of BG O.F. Lassiter

That is a nice looking uniform. I really like Air Force uniforms from the 50's and 60's with custom made ribbon bars. Two questions:

1. Do you know why there is a bronze star rather than oak leaf cluster on the Bronze Star ribbon?

2. What is the last ribbon after the Philippine Liberation ribbon?

post-1761-1226344233.jpg

Salvage Sailor

This may seem odd, but it looks like a USN Pistol Marksmanship ribbon (dead ringer for mine)

That is a nice looking uniform. I really like Air Force uniforms from the 50's and 60's with custom made ribbon bars. Two questions:

1. Do you know why there is a bronze star rather than oak leaf cluster on the Bronze Star ribbon?

Sean,

1. I have no idea why the bronze star is there instead of an oakleaf or a V. I've seen photos of a few of his other uniforms looked like and they were the same..Perhaps an unofficial way to denote combat award or pre-oakleaf or pre-V device.

2. The last ribbon is a USN Pistol Marsmanship award.. Lassiter was a radio operator in the USMC in the 30's..

I'm missin a few devices from some of the ribbons..There should be 3 OLC on the PUC and DFC and 4 on the AM..

Fins.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad this thread has popped back up again. Below is another set of custom ribbons in my collection. They are similar to a set I posted earlier on this thread (that set was attached to a uniform). I'm not sure but I believe there might have been made in Germany after the war. This set has no deviced affixed.

They are actual ribbon segments mounted in a Plexiglas frame.

post-1107-1227969689.jpg

• 1 month later...
Captainofthe7th

Here is one I just took pictures of so I figured I'd throw it on here:

DSCF1355.jpg

DSCF1356.jpg

The knots are actually tied down.

Rob

Captainofthe7th

Some more bars I found to revive this topic:

DSCF1370.jpg

The KPUC is plastic coated and the campaign ribbons are a type I haven't seen before.

DSCF1368.jpg

These are the domed plexiglass type.

DSCF1369.jpg

Sorry for the glare....This is the normal domed plastic style with a brass plate behind it for the "frame"

More to come once photobucket decides to cooperate with me...

Rob

Captainofthe7th

DSCF1360.jpg

An Aussie made ribbon bar

DSCF1361.jpg

Reverse

DSCF1363.jpg

This is either Brit or Aussie. The colors are very rich.

DSCF1364.jpg

DSCF1366.jpg

Quite a glare on that one. These are my Pepere's ribbons and CIB. The cellophane crackled off long ago, but a fellow forum member recently told me I can fix it. I can't believe I didn't think of that on my own, but it looks great!

That's all till I get more.

Rob

Some more bars I found to revive this topic:

DSCF1368.jpg

These are the domed plexiglass type.

Do you know if these ribbons were put back on the uniform? The bottom ribbon bar appears to be upside down/reversed and the Army of Occupation ribbon is backwards. Everything would be correct if you reversed the bar to show (left to right facing uniform) Army of Occupation, Korean Service and U.N. Korean Service.

Captainofthe7th

As far as I know, it's completely original that way. There are only two pins, the WWII Vic ribbon is attached to the bottom bar and does not have a pin. The only way the bottom row can be reversed is to remove the battle star devices, switch the actual ribbon material, and re-assemble it.

Judging from the marks from the clutches, it's been on the jacket a long time.

Rob

As far as I know, it's completely original that way. There are only two pins, the WWII Vic ribbon is attached to the bottom bar and does not have a pin. The only way the bottom row can be reversed is to remove the battle star devices, switch the actual ribbon material, and re-assemble it.

Judging from the marks from the clutches, it's been on the jacket a long time.

Rob

I thought it looked like the Victory ribbon was attached to the lower bar. Just goes to show you that even when ribbons were custom mounted they weren't always put in the correct order.

• 3 weeks later...

Heres one I picked up a while ago. Unfortunately there is not a name anywhere. I would guess he served in the Coast Guard in WWII, and then switched over to the Army before Korea:

post-100-1232658171.jpg

• 3 weeks later...