Custom Ribbon Bars--Any era!

CNY Militaria

• 1 month later...

General Richard D. Hearney- Assistant Commandant of the Marine Corps from 1994 to 1996. I guess he had to replace this set after adding the Joint Meritorious Unit Award ribbon and Navy Unit Commendation ribbons (pictured in photo, 3rd row from bottom). Or perhaps it was initially made-up incorrectly. (probably why he gave it away.)

post-322-0-92860300-1463791319.jpgpost-322-0-32956400-1463791335.jpg

• 1 month later...
Captainofthe7th

In doing research on another interesting ribbon, I found some information on this one. While this does represent all of these theories, I now firmly believe it is the unauthorized NATO Ribbon. I've quoted previous posts in the discussion, including the subject.

From PAM 20-158 Troop Topics - Decorations and Awards, dated 23 March 1953:

post-3190-0-98382400-1467986597.jpg

From December 1953 issue of All Hands:

post-3190-0-15777900-1467986599.jpg

Here's one I just acquired.

What is the last ribbon? I have one on a set of Navy WWII/Korean War era ribbon bars and I have seen someone else on here asking the same thing. I know one person replied that it was a state National Guard ribbon, can't remember which one, but that doesn't seem right.

From what I could find, it's the Missouri NG Governors 12 year service ribbon. Had me stumped as well!

I couldn't remember what another post had said the ribbon was, but the one you named is the one I was referring to. However, that doesn't make sense either for my ribbon bars that had WWII Pacific theater and Korean War service ribbons along with a Navy Commendation Ribbon. Also, it doesn't seem to fit with the uniform in this post. I guess it could be the National Guard ribbon, but that just seems odd for the only two times I have ever seen one.

It's WA National Guard Achievement Medal-

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...c=31678&hl=

Rob

While I agree it is most likely a WA ARNG Achievement Ribbon, here's an interesting tidbit to further confounds things. That ribbon design was identical to a proposed NATO Service Medal/Ribbon which never came into being. I also have one of these ribbons, albeit a much newer manufacture, and was told by someone here on the forums about the NATO angle.

Hmmmm...and the plot thickens! I do have his name and dogtags, so time for some research! http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

These are standard ribbon segments mounted under a convex curved plastic covers. They have clutch-back studs on the back and are mounted on a 31st Infantry Regiment officer's blouse. Originally they were one solid block but, over the years, the top row broke off. If you look closely at the picture, you can just see where the top row snapped off. I believe these might have been made in Europe (Germany???).

attachicon.gifCustomRibbon04.JPG

Are they glass Souval ribbons?

• 2 weeks later...

The ribbons of Air Force Maj Gen William P. McBride (1916-1996). McBride was a fighter pilot most of his career. In Korea, he commanded two fighter groups and was wounded over North Korea in 1951. He also earned the British Distinguished Flying Cross in Korea, one of only ten such awards to Americans in that war. He went on to command Task Force Alpha in Thailand and was deputy commander of 12th Air Force.

post-293-0-33780800-1469323353.jpg

Ribbons of ADM J. J. (Jocko) Clark, who commanded the fast carriers in WWII. First Native American (Cherokee) graduate of the Naval Academy.

post-293-0-87140800-1469363484.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nothing to impressive. Just received these in the mail. Vietnam vet but some later awards from the 80s. Mounted on a thin stiff plastic backing.

Posted Image

• 3 weeks later...

A family-owned set of ribbons of PFC Charles D. Barger's awards and decorations.

Can someone tell me what these ribbons are? US awards I recognize but I'm stumped by the foreign ones.

Is there a list?

Hi CW1979,

They are:

Medal of Honor

Purple Heart w/4 Bronze Oak Leaf Clusters

Purple Heart w/4 Bronze Oak Leaf Clusters

WWI Victory Medal w/3 Bronze stars

Army Occupation Medal, WWI

Medaille Militaire, France

Croix de Guerre, WWI, France, w/Bronze Star and Bronze Palm

Croix de Guerre, WWI, France, w/2 Bronze Palms

Silver Medal for Bravery, Montenegro

Military Medal, Great Britain

Order of Leopold I, Belgium, w/swords

Croix de Guerre, WWI, Belgium, w/palm

Croce di Guerra, WWI, Italy

War with Germany Medal, WWI, Missouri

Verdun Medal, WWI, France (Honorary)

St. Mihiel Medal, WWI, France (Honorary)

American Legion Medal

Veterans of Foreign Wars Medal

Hello,

Here is a custom ribbon rack for Archie R. Hyle from his post Korean War Ike jacket. Any idea what the last ribbon is?

Colonel Hyle served in the 291st Inf Rgt, 75th Inf Div in WW2, 45th Inf Div in the Korean War, and as the Commander of 1st Brigade, 1st Inf Div and Chief of Staff of 1st Inf Div in Vietnam.

Does anyone know what awards he earned and when?

He is listed in 1955 Army Officer Register as having the Soldier's Medal, Bronze Star (2OLC), and Air Medal.

In Vietnam he earned he 3 Silver Stars, Purple Heart and 2 Soldier's Medals (March 1968 and March 1969).

On his award orders for March 1968 it says Soldier's Medal, but on his March 1969 award orders it says Soldier's Medal (2nd Oak Leaf Cluster)

So here is my main question, does anyone know if he received a Soldier's Medal in WW2 or the Korean War period since his Ike jacket already has the SM ribbon on it and his later award order says (Second OLC). The ribbons on the Ike jacket don't look to be newly sewn on. Does anyone have any photos of him in dress uniform with ribbon bars from any period?

If this is all correct he would have been one of only two to have earned 3 Soldier's Medals.

Thanks,

Jeff

post-12142-0-91589600-1477920219_thumb.jpg

I picked these up here on the forum and haven't had the time to invest on researching them. There were four (nearly) identical ribbon groups in the lot, so the guy obviously was consistent! He had also been awarded the Legion de Honneur from France, officer grade (with rosette), but never mounted them (they were in the group though). These are two of the ribbon groups out of the lot.

gen_ribbons1.jpg

gen_ribbons2.jpg

• 2 months later...

Coast Guard/Marine Corps ribbon bar.

CG Commandants Ltd w/ Operational device, CG Bicentennial Unit Commendation, MC GCM, CG RESERVE GCM, MC Expeditionary, NDSM, AFEM , Armed Forces Reserve, Rifle Marksmanship w/ Expert, & Pistol Expert.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image