Custom Ribbon Bars--Any era!

CNY Militaria

Major General Charles E. Woods. 433rd Tac Fighter Squadron, flying 100 F-4 Missions over North Vietnam. Commanded 56th Special Ops Wing at Nakhon Phanom Thailand later in the war. Two ribbon bars from different points in his career as indicated by his Air Medal and devices applied. From the SOS

post-758-0-42478400-1456327825.jpg

Ultima Ratio Regum

Major General Charles E. Woods. 433rd Tac Fighter Squadron, flying 100 F-4 Missions over North Vietnam. Commanded 56th Special Ops Wing at Nakhon Phanom Thailand later in the war. Two ribbon bars from different points in his career as indicated by his Air Medal and devices applied. From the SOS

That is an interesting set of ribbons. The second does indicate slightly later in his career with the additional OLC on the Longevity Service Ribbon. There is also an additional OLC on the Meritorious Service Medal (which is kind of odd for a general officer to receive!) and a new unit award- the Organizational Excellence Award. The Air Medals are the same number- just displayed strangely. If you look closely at the second pic when compared to the first, the second AM ribbon has five bronze OLCs, and the second silver OLC is missing off the first AM ribbon. It looks like the general wanted to display more fruit salad by spreading out his Air Medal awards onto 2 ribbons, when it would have been correct to use only one. The combination of ribbons and OLCs on both pictures, though, do represent the same number of medals awarded.

Thanks URR for the insight. Had not thought about two AM"s being present.. This group had many ribbon bars and sets and I thought this might be of interest to the discussion. Top photo is an older set that is being given to ribbon maker with notes regarding placement of Oak Leaf clusters. Bottom is a set based on this request. Not sure if there was confusion with the maker or it needed correction. Interesting none the less . His 214 at retirement shows Air Medal with 2 Silver and 2 Bronze Oak Leaf clusters

post-758-0-91966600-1456368197.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful Naval Observer wings and ribbon rack!!!

Chris

Chris thanks for correcting my description of the wing, need to engage my brain before typing. Jack

• 3 weeks later...

thank you

oddly enough the other ribbon rack has embroidered devices underneath it and metal devices placed through them

I'll try to take a closer look when I get home from work