WWII Sgt. chevrons

ABrangerjoe

ABrangerjoe

I got these at a gun show, are they Army or USMC? I think they're Army but I'm not sure. Any help is appriciated!

-Joe

post-5137-1248311526.jpg

They resemble the Marine ones on khaki to me and I could easily be wrong...but does anyone else think they look to have been cut off at the bottom? The stitching just looks bad to me like the crossed rifles and any rockers were cut off and then the edges hemmed.

ABrangerjoe

Any ideas? I've never seen green on tan chevrons worn by the Army in WWII, despite all the variations of ranks (colors & materials). Could these be USMC?

I think they are Army chevrons. I've got and have seen several other ranks with a variation in the color of stripes including some shades of green instead of khaki.

Just my humble opinion here.

I think they are U.S.M.C. But it would not surprise me if the U.S. ARMY used them as well. I did have an M-43 in a grouping from a guy in the 20th Air Force. He had the same stripes on the M-43 filed jacket . I am used to seeing these.

post-6287-1248408870.jpg

Despite the "conventional wisdom" so far posted in this thread, I'm fairly postive your chevrons are WWII era US Army. Here's why:

1: Marine chevrons are wider (width, left to right) than Army ones, even in WWII. Also, this style of construction (embroidered on cotton fabric) did not appear on USMC chevrons until the 1950's. Up until that time the khaki chevrons would be green wool sewn onto khaki fabric or woven. Marine SGT chevrons from the mid 1950's before the addition of the crossed rifles were embroidered on cotton similar to this, but the chevrons on these were thicker and the overall patches were wider than on similar army chevrons.

2. Khaki chevrons such as yours were widely worn during WWII on khaki shirts, even though they were not specifically authorized by regulations. Also, your chevrons show a very heavy green backing thread, which generally points toward a WWII era mfg (but not always a 100% rule).

The best way to tell would be to hold them up to a known pair of WWII Army chevrons and see if they are about the same size. If they are, then you can rest assured they are Army chevrons, even if they "look like USMC". US Army and USMC chevrons were not interchangable during WWII or any time after.

I hope this helps,

Vance

craig_pickrall

I just measured some chevrons actually sewn to uniforms. The USMC chevrons are 3 1/2" to 3 5/8" wide and the Army chevrons are 3" wide. You should not see more than a +/- 1/8" of variance in the width of either type.

ABrangerjoe
I just measured some chevrons actually sewn to uniforms. The USMC chevrons are 3 1/2" to 3 5/8" wide and the Army chevrons are 3" wide. You should not see more than a +/- 1/8" of variance in the width of either type.

Mine are 3'' wide, I guess Army is the winner! Thanks a lot everyone! :thumbsup:

-Joe